IG-88

Driver extension jun 1.03b/1.04b for DSM6.2.2 for 3615xs / 3617xs / 918+

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, btomi9 said:

Hi all,

 

I'm new to this forum and would like to ask your help to update my Xpenology to DSM 6.2.2 V24922

 

I summarize my configuration in the clear manner I found on this forum in other topics:
 

- Outcome of the update: UNSUCCESSFUL

- DSM version prior update: DSM 6.1.7-15284 Update 2

- Loader version and model: JUN'S LOADER v1.03b - DS3615xs 

- Using custom extra.lzma: YES, also the 2 kernel files needed, see below

- Installation type: BAREMETAL - HP Microserver Gen8 / G1610T Celeron 

- Additional comments: NIC factory Broadcom BCM5720

 

I followed the instructions described in the first post of this topic. Downloaded Jun's v1.03b loader from here:

https://mega.nz/#!OV4gVKyZ!dCgfXx1bgAOyvbFwFiov3s7RSNoFuqnAcNmSllLoUiw (for DS3615xs) - v1.03b 

The .pat version from here:
https://archive.synology.com/download/DSM/release/6.2.2/24922/DSM_DS3615xs_24922.pat

 

The extra.lmza from here:

DS3615: extra.lzma for loader 1.03b_mod ds3615 DSM 6.2.2 v0.5_test
http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=87576629927396429210

In the description I found that this extra.lzma is for loader 1.03b_mod ds3615 DSM 6.2.2 v0.5_test, but I haven't found a link to this specific, modded 1.03b loader. Did I miss something? Maybe this is the only reason that the update is unsuccessful.

Actually, before commiting myself for the update, I plugged out the HDD -s from the server, put in a new one, created a new pendrive following the description in this tutorial:

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/7973-tutorial-installmigrate-dsm-52-to-61x-juns-loader/


I prepared the pendrive on a Windows 10 laptop, used OSFMount and Win32 Disk Imager. Of course I edited the grub.conf with VID, PID, SN, MAC, and also copied (with overwriting) the extra.lzma and the extracted the zImage and rd.gz from the .pat file and copied to the second partition, just as I found in the first post.

The grub menu works and if I either let the timer run out or press enter to choose the first option from Jun 's menu, it seemingly works, there comes the screen ending with:
 

"Happy hacking.

Screen will stop updating shortly, please open http://find.synology.com to continue."

but I'm unable to find it either with find.synology.com or the downloaded Synology assistant.

So now I put back my "production" HDD -s and pendrive and reverted back to DSM version 6.1.7 but I wonder if there is a solution to make it work with the original NIC, or I'm forced to buy an Intel one.

Thank you.

 

 

Hi btomi9,

 

did you also extract the PAT file with 7zip and used the 2 additional files rd.gz and zImage to replace the existing one on the 2nd parition of synoboot.img?

 

See my post, just a little scroll upwards:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually I used WinRAR to extract rd.gz and zImage files and I copied it to the 2nd partition of the pendrive. In OSFMount partition 0 is the one where there is the /grub/grub.conf to be edited, and partition 1 is where I overwrote extra.lzma, rd.gz and zImage

 

These 3 files has the size in Total commander 7.55a shown as:

extra.lzma - 4 541 498

rd.gz - 6 284 912

zImage - 3 057 264

 

Now as I reply extracted it again from the 3rd downloaded version of the same file to a completely new folder, and the size and date is the same as previously.

BTW from windows 10 even with OSFMount I cannot access the 3rd partition (partition 2) (but the tutorial never told there is anything to do with that, so should cause no problems)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Big_11 said:

I'm Not Sure, but you should use pat file from 6.2 Not 6.2.2....

the correct Version is shown at Synology Assistant and lower than 24922...

 

good luck.. 

 

Thank you, but in the base version 6.2 .pat file I haven't found the aforementioned 2 kernel files. Let me check the link where I downloaded it from. Here:
https://archive.synology.com/download/DSM/release/6.2/23739/
 

I chose the topmost file, DSM_DDSM_23739.pat

 

Okay, inside this file there is a hda1.tgz I assume it't a tar.gz archive, which I was able to extract with WinRAR, but after the extraction it's just a hda1 file without extension. So no rd.gz or zImage here. Shall I untar this file somehow to find those two files?


The detailed instructions in the opening post should work, I don't quite understand where I am mistaken here. dasupergrover could also make it work. I used a transcend jetflash 32G pendrive, not sure if it matters. I also have a Kingston 8G maybe I'll try that one as well. It shouldn't be a problem though, I think. Or maybe it's winRAR, and I should use 7zip. So far I had no problems using winRAR, everything worked.

 

 

Edited by btomi9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Big_11 said:

I'm Not Sure, but you should use pat file from 6.2 Not 6.2.2....

the correct Version is shown at Synology Assistant and lower than 24922...

 

i don't know where you get or read this, the 1st post is very specific about what files to use, i even link the *.pat files to use

when installing 6.2.2 you use the kernel files from the inside the pat file (zImgage and rd.gz) and the extra.lzma from the link matching the type like 3615

the drivers in the extra.lzma are specifically made for 6.2.2 and will only work when you replace the kernel files on the loader too

 

1 hour ago, dasupergrover said:

I used 7zip with a microsd USB stick reader, my guess would be to try 7zip insteadof WinRAR

 

no works also with winrar (at least it did when i tried it a few minutes ago)

 

2 hours ago, btomi9 said:

I chose the topmost file, DSM_DDSM_23739.pat

 

you can't just use any *pat file, things are specific for every type and version

23739 is 6.2.(0) thats the files already on the loader as it comes from jun

and DDSM is a docker DSM - do you use it with a loader for docker?

when using loader for 3615 you also need to use files and driver (extra.lzma) for 3615

 

On 10/6/2019 at 9:07 PM, IG-88 said:

Both use the same kernel (3.10.105) but have different kernel options so don't swap or mix, some drivers might work on the other system some don't at all (kernel oops)

Edited by IG-88

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, IG-88 said:

 

i don't know where you get or read this, the 1st post is very specific about what files to use, i even link the *.pat files to use

when installing 6.2.2 you use the kernel files from the inside the pat file (zImgage and rd.gz) and the extra.lzma from the link matching the type like 3615

the drivers in the extra.lzma are specifically made for 6.2.2 and will only work when you replace the kernel files on the loader too

 

 

no works also with winrar (at least it did when i tried it a few minutes ago)

 

 

you can't just use any *pat file, things are specific for every type and version

23739 is 6.2.(0) thats the files already on the loader as it comes from jun

and DDSM is a docker DSM - do you use it with a loader for docker?

when using loader for 3615 you also need to use files and driver (extra.lzma) for 3615

 

Thanks IG-88, I'm sorry I think my reply was misunderstandable. As I mentioned in my first post, I used the correct .pat version from which I extracted and copied the rd.gz and zImage files onto the pendrive's 2nd partition (partition 1 in OSFMount) overwriting the 2 files there coming from Jun's original v0.3b loader.


The .pat version came from here:
https://archive.synology.com/download/DSM/release/6.2.2/24922/DSM_DS3615xs_24922.pat

 

Regarding the 6.0 .pat file I meant I just wanted to try what Big_11 suggested, but after seeing that in that .pat file the rd.gz and zImage is not there (at least it might be inside the tar but I didn't extract that), I just stopped here.

 

So summarizing. Do you guys say that Jun's original v0.3b loader from here:

https://mega.nz/#!OV4gVKyZ!dCgfXx1bgAOyvbFwFiov3s7RSNoFuqnAcNmSllLoUiw (for DS3615xs) - v1.03b 

Extracting rd.gz and zImage from the .pat version from here:
https://archive.synology.com/download/DSM/release/6.2.2/24922/DSM_DS3615xs_24922.pat

 

The extra.lmza from here:

DS3615: extra.lzma for loader 1.03b_mod ds3615 DSM 6.2.2 v0.5_test
http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=87576629927396429210

 

should work and see the HP microserver Gen8 's factory Broadcom NIC?

 

Once again, I don't have boot problem, I get to grub menu, and then I get to the final screen mentioning I should start looking for the NAS via find.synology.com etc. So seems like the loader has booted. Here can you confirm I don't have to see something like a normal linux booting process where it tests all parts of the operating systems and say OK or Warning or Faliure on multiple pages, so I should be just fine seeing Jun's page etc?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/12/2020 at 6:25 AM, btomi9 said:

Thanks IG-88, I'm sorry I think my reply was misunderstandable. As I mentioned in my first post, I used the correct .pat version from which I extracted and copied the rd.gz and zImage files onto the pendrive's 2nd partition (partition 1 in OSFMount) overwriting the 2 files there coming from Jun's original v0.3b loader.


The .pat version came from here:
https://archive.synology.com/download/DSM/release/6.2.2/24922/DSM_DS3615xs_24922.pat

 

Regarding the 6.0 .pat file I meant I just wanted to try what Big_11 suggested, but after seeing that in that .pat file the rd.gz and zImage is not there (at least it might be inside the tar but I didn't extract that), I just stopped here.

 

So summarizing. Do you guys say that Jun's original v0.3b loader from here:

https://mega.nz/#!OV4gVKyZ!dCgfXx1bgAOyvbFwFiov3s7RSNoFuqnAcNmSllLoUiw (for DS3615xs) - v1.03b 

Extracting rd.gz and zImage from the .pat version from here:
https://archive.synology.com/download/DSM/release/6.2.2/24922/DSM_DS3615xs_24922.pat

 

The extra.lmza from here:

DS3615: extra.lzma for loader 1.03b_mod ds3615 DSM 6.2.2 v0.5_test
http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=87576629927396429210

 

should work and see the HP microserver Gen8 's factory Broadcom NIC?

 

Once again, I don't have boot problem, I get to grub menu, and then I get to the final screen mentioning I should start looking for the NAS via find.synology.com etc. So seems like the loader has booted. Here can you confirm I don't have to see something like a normal linux booting process where it tests all parts of the operating systems and say OK or Warning or Faliure on multiple pages, so I should be just fine seeing Jun's page etc?

 

It sounds like you have the right steps. To answer your question, yes, you should see the HP microserver with the factory broadcom NIC on the network if you have used the proper extra.lzma v0.5 modified by IG88. That file, plus the rd.gz and zImage files from the 24922 DSM 6.2.2 for 3615xs should be copied to the 2nd partition of 30MB on Jun's 1.03b bootloader for 3615xs. I recommend to redo the steps carefully since it's possible you missed a step in the execution. Always use an extra empty HDD. If you have used the HDD previously, I recommend to erase it, just to be safe there are no DSM leftovers on it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/29/2020 at 12:43 PM, IG-88 said:

here is one positive report

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/12867-user-reported-compatibility-thread-for-dsm-62/?do=findComment&comment=139518

 

 

maybe try loader 1.04b, mod it with the rd.gz and zImage from DSM_DS918+_25423.pat (DSM 6.2.3, use 7zip to extract the files) and also copy the extra/extra2 0.10 (overwrite old files)

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/28321-driver-extension-jun-104b-for-dsm623-for-918/

 

Dear IG-88:

Here is log file I use serial port output,

and there is no other message.....
 

log.txt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

EDIT: 
I forget add "debug" feature.... it ganna no message

And it get work at bootloader 1.04b with 918+_25426.pat
changed files... drivers...(with your newest file extra918plus_v0.11) 
it just work, I don't know why.....

log2.txt

Edited by eszerfrm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For me AS i write before

 

i need to 

i have juste delete , /.xpenoboot folder via ssh and reboot

 

and after synology assistant find my nas

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/14/2020 at 4:18 AM, Decebalus said:

 

It sounds like you have the right steps. To answer your question, yes, you should see the HP microserver with the factory broadcom NIC on the network if you have used the proper extra.lzma v0.5 modified by IG88. That file, plus the rd.gz and zImage files from the 24922 DSM 6.2.2 for 3615xs should be copied to the 2nd partition of 30MB on Jun's 1.03b bootloader for 3615xs. I recommend to redo the steps carefully since it's possible you missed a step in the execution. Always use an extra empty HDD. If you have used the HDD previously, I recommend to erase it, just I to be safe there are no DSM leftovers on it.

 

Update, I finally restarted the whole process from scratch, and synology assistant still hadn't found it. Until I disabled windows firewall and avast anti-virus, (maybe it was just the firewall). And it found it finally. I made the migration with manual install and chose the DSM_DS3615xs_24922.pat file, and I chose the option to keep most of the settings as well if possible. The migration has succeeded, but many of my packages are now in "starting" state, e.g. photo station cannot be updated because it says run php 7.0 before, but php 7.0 is just starting. Just like many other previously used packages.

 

Do you think I can redo the migration but now choosing the option to keep all my data but discard all the previous settings? I haven't restored the previously backed up configuration settings yet, now I will do that and see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, btomi9 said:

 

Update, I finally restarted the whole process from scratch, and synology assistant still hadn't found it. Until I disabled windows firewall and avast anti-virus, (maybe it was just the firewall). And it found it finally. I made the migration with manual install and chose the DSM_DS3615xs_24922.pat file, and I chose the option to keep most of the settings as well if possible. The migration has succeeded, but many of my packages are now in "starting" state, e.g. photo station cannot be updated because it says run php 7.0 before, but php 7.0 is just starting. Just like many other previously used packages.

 

Do you think I can redo the migration but now choosing the option to keep all my data but discard all the previous settings? I haven't restored the previously backed up configuration settings yet, now I will do that and see.

 

Update, I think it was Avast who prevented me to find the NAS via Synology Assistant. Now I chose the 2nd option from Jun's menu (Reinstall) and it put the NAS again into migratable in Syno assistant and successfully made the "update" again. Had to recreate my admin user etc. but my data on the HDD -s kept intact.

 

Thank you so much for all your help guys!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now I would like to get my pendrive back from the boot purpose, I left my original pendrive intact til the upgrade is successful. Now I would like to clone my actually working pendrive, I created a new .bin image from the 6.2.2 working pendrive with imageusb, edited the grub.cfg with the old pendrive's VID, PID with OSFMount, and then wrote the modified .bin to my old pendrive. But on partition 1 I could see that a checksum.syno and a grub_cksum.syno file appeared, I guess the DSM migration process somehow generated these two checksum files on the new boot pendrive. Now of course as I modified the VID, PID in grub.cfg, the grub.cfg doesn't match the grub_cksum.syno and of course it's not booting from my old pendrive. From the new one it's booting fine.

 

Do you know how to make DSM recreate that grub_cksum.syno file to be able to use my old pendrive as a boot stick with the new DSM 6.2.2? Or can I just delete it and it recreates automatically?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I have done all the steps to upgrade from version 6.1 to 6.2 my server has a realtek NIC which works great on 1.02b, I cannot see the nas unless I plug the working 6.1 pen drive I am on 3615 and donde every single step, the extraction, putting the new extra and rd and zimage and putting them into the image, checking valid vid and pid, disbaled windows firewall and antivirus and nothing seems to work,  can anyone help?

 

Regards

 

For anyone having trouble I managed to boot disabling the legacy option from my bios

 

Thanks a lot!

Edited by screege

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Hello, anybody know how to run LSI 9267-8i (SAS2008) on 3617 with 6.2.3-25426 virtual (RAID) drives as internal drives?

now is looking as eSATA

Edited by -iliya-

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, -iliya- said:

Hello, anybody know how to run LSI 9267-8i (SAS2008) on 3617 with 6.2.3-25426

i'd expect it to be a SAS2208 based controller

PCI\VEN_1000&DEV_005B ?

you can boot a rescue linux and check with lspci

 

that one is listed (you can use modinfo) in jun's megaraid_sas.ko, so it should work ootb with jun's 1.03b loader

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 минут назад, IG-88 сказал:

i'd expect it to be a SAS2208 based controller

PCI\VEN_1000&DEV_005B ?

you can boot a rescue linux and check with lspci

 

that one is listed (you can use modinfo) in jun's megaraid_sas.ko, so it should work ootb with jun's 1.03b loader

yes

pci1000,5b

controller is detected and i see virtual drives, but as eSATA,  how switch to internal? Edit 2x synoinfo.conf ? or can something be fixed in grub.conf?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, -iliya- said:

but as eSATA,

 

you would need to have more then 12 ports to see this

the default is 12 internal followed by 8 esata

 

2 minutes ago, -iliya- said:

 

  how switch to internal? Edit 2x synoinfo.conf ?

 

yes

esataportcfg="0x0"

internalportcfg="0xfffff"

maxdisks="20"

 

 

2 minutes ago, -iliya- said:

or can something be fixed in grub.conf?

no

 

keep in mind as long as there is no automatic update for a higher drive count then 12 you will "loose" access to the drives >12 getting youn into trouble with your raid config on bigger updates (~250 MB *.pat) like 6.2.2 -> 6.2.3 and you would need to fix that after updating

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
24 минуты назад, IG-88 сказал:

esataportcfg="0x0"

internalportcfg="0xfffff"

maxdisks="20"

ok, this add 8 drives as internal, maybe i can remap higher drive count then 12 to lower ?

i don't use all 12 ( only 1  connected to MB, and 8 connected to SAS2208 and configured as R5) internal drives -  i try to create faster external NAS with 10Gb nic, on Asus P7F7-E WS + SAS2208 +8x HDD RAID5( on SAS2208)

 

SasIdxMap = 0 can help to convert eSATA to internal?

Edited by -iliya-

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, -iliya- said:

maybe i can remap higher drive count then 12 to lower ?

in theory its possible but i never tried this

maybe just disable the additional anboard 2port marvell sata and dont connect more the 6 drives to the sas controller?

6 + 8 = 14. as long as you dont use the last two slots you can keep the 12 drive default

12 minutes ago, -iliya- said:

+8x HDD RAID5( on SAS2208)

you should use RAIDF1 for this, its exactly what its made for

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 минуту назад, IG-88 сказал:

6 + 8 = 14. as long as you dont use the last two slots you can keep the 12 drive default

But does xpenology see physical disks if they are assembled into an array on the controller? Or just virtual disks. Then it’s strange that virtual dics went beyond 12 - 6 sata + 2 sata marvell + 2 virtual on sas2208 (i create 2 simple volume for the test) = 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, -iliya- said:

Or just virtual disks.

???

are you talking about a controller in raid mode (IR)?

i was assuming a controller in IT mode

http://mywiredhouse.net/blog/flashing-lsi-2208-firmware-use-hba/

 

if you create a hardware raid then synology will only see one drive and the driver will handle the rest (unseen from dsm)

edit: when using raid you will miss the raidf1 mode

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/24634-installing-raidf1-on-xpenology/

 

Edited by IG-88

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 часов назад, IG-88 сказал:

if you create a hardware raid then synology will only see one drive and the driver will handle the rest

yes - i create HW RAID on sas2208, but syno sees it as external, although 12 ports are clearly not exceeded

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, -iliya- said:

create HW RAID on sas2208, but syno sees it as external, although 12 ports are clearly not exceeded

cant say much without a dmesg log, maybe it creates a virtual disk after the normal number of ports

maybe just try to increase the number of internal disks

suggested rout would be to stic kto dsm's way of sngle disks and its mdadm raid, so reflash your controller to make have IT mode

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 2/6/2020 at 4:13 PM, vasiliy_gr said:

My report on update. I have 3 Xpenology running (with different versions of DSM/loader), so I waited for ds918+ extras to update them all at once.

 

1. Hardware: i5-7600, Intel X540-T2, LSI 9305-16i (LSISAS3224), 16*HDD.

Previous version: ds3617xs, DSM 6.1.7, loader 1.02b.

Goal: updated DSM and driver modules versions.

Updated version: ds3617xs, DSM 6.2.2-24922, loader 1.03b+extra3617_v.0.5.

Update method: migration with new loader files on usb drive.

Result: absolutely flawless update. Finally I had to manually edit synoinfo.conf-s to make all my 16 HDDs visible.

 

2. Hardware: i3-8100,  Intel X550-T1. LSI 9207-8i (LSISAS2308), 8*HDD.

Previous version: ds918+, DSM 6.2.2, loader 1.04b.

Goal: updated driver modules versions.

Updated version: ds918+, DSM untouched, loader 1.04b+extra918_v.0.8_std.

Update method: deleted old /usr/lib/modules/update/ and /usr/lib/firmware/i915/ and rebooted with new loader files on usb drive.

Result: no problems detected. Still not tested, if something changed.

Comment: I had previously a problem with HDD hibernation on this configuration . After hibernation HDDs did not start and required hard reboot (as DSM web interface or ssh also did not work).

 

3. Hardware: i5-7400, Asus XG-C100C (atlantic), LSI 9207-8i (LSISAS2308), 8*HDD.

Previous version: ds3617xs, DSM 6.1.7, loader 1.02b.

Goal: updated DSM and driver modules versions plus change to ds918 for NVMe cache support.

Updated version: ds918+, DSM 6.2.2-24922, loader 1.04b+extra918_v.0.8_std.

Update method: migration (both DSM version and hardware type) with new loader files on usb drive.

Result: absolutely flawless update.

Comment: I also wanted to check the hibernation feature as for (2) above. And here I checked it... After hibernations HDDs did not return to life without hard reset by button.

 

So... First of all - many thanks to IG-88. Really amazing work!

 

Second - sorry for offtopic, but may be someone can quickly help, if this issue was already discussed somewhere. In my two configurations HDD hibernation does not work. To be more exact - it works by going to hibernation, but does not wake up after it up to hardware reset. In both configurations I have dsm 6.2.2 for ds918+. Previously on DSM 6.1.7 for ds3617xs it worked fine on the same hardware. Currently on DSM 6.2.2 for ds3617xs it also works without problems. This problem is not directly related to extra.lzma from this topic, as I had the same problem on pure jun-s 1.04b loader.

 

And if you are interested in - what for I need HDD hibernation and ds918 together... I want to try NVMe cache together with hibernated drives. May be it is impossible for hundred reasons... But I even can't try as hibernation does not work on the only hardware version that supports NVMe...

 Just found this post and I have been struggling with HDD hibernation also. Basically, HDD hibernation is completely broken on 1.04b/918+ with an LSI card (mpt3sas). It is broken with the vanilla 1.04b loader as well as the more recent extra.lzma versions.The drives will hibernate, but for any non-basic volume, the raid does not get re-assembled correctly on wake up resulting in a corrupt system partition. If this is the only volume on the system, this also results in inability to log into the diskstation requiring a hard reset. Basic volumes on the LSI card or an HDD connected to a non-LSI port are fine and will enable you to log into the system, reboot it and repair the system partition. Unsure if this is a drive ordering issue on wake up that is preventing reassembly. This is a bummer since with the latest 6.2.3 we now have broken HDD hibernation on ds3615/1.03b also.

Edited by richv31

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.