First let me tell you I am already a PC hardware/software geek, but since I decided to move from my old Synology DS414 to a custom built NAS there's no way I can get the damned box to be put into sleep mode and therefore to get the whole WOL service working...

So far I tried four different motherboards (of course all of them were WOL compliant) and even three PCI-E Gigabit LAN cards.

However I have seen in this board that there are actually people that can get WOL working and that is what I want to preserve the hard disks life and save power when the NAS is not used at all without having to manually power on/off the box everytime...

Is there something I am missing here?? :?

Edited by Cr4z33

Expecting, that required settings were done in DSM.

my settings

1.thumb.png.b9259843a2109bfafd4a0e47d73841b7.png2.thumb.png.bf706348ea585fd34ae18c559ad5642d.png

Hide  

The most easiest way - mac in the boot loader and real mac of NIC are same.

DS finder (mobile or PC ) WOL is not working if mac's are different. In this case, I can WOL NAS only via router web interface using real mac of NIC. 

1 hour ago, deloza said:

Expecting, that required settings were done in DSM.

my settings

1.thumb.png.b9259843a2109bfafd4a0e47d73841b7.png2.thumb.png.bf706348ea585fd34ae18c559ad5642d.png

Hide

The most easiest way - mac in the boot loader and real mac of NIC are same.

DS finder (mobile or PC ) WOL is not working if mac's are different. In this case, I can WOL NAS only via router web interface using real mac of NIC. 

Sorry forgot to say the yes I have enabled those options into DSM and the cfg is matching the real MAC address of the NIC.

Silly Question : Do you enabled WOL in the BIOS of your mobo ?

Seb@stien
Of course I did. ;)

Inviato dal mio SM-G955F utilizzando Tapatalk

Edit root/etc/synoinfo.conf:

Search for eth0 or the lan connection required for WOL.

eth0_wol_options="d" change the "d" to "g" = eth0_wol_options="g" this will set a tick in the WOL for eth0 in the control panel power settings.

Make sure > wol_enabled_options="g" < is set to "g" not "d"

Make sure > support_wol="yes" <

Copy file or create a file called:

S99ZZZ_Shutdown.sh

to:

dsm5.x
root/usr/syno/etc/rc.d

dsm6.x
root/usr/local/etc/rc.d

Set execute permission.

Script command (file content):

#!/bin/sh

case $1 in
start)

if [ -f /var/packages/shutdown_script/DSShutdown.sh ]; then
  /var/packages/shutdown_script/DSShutdown.sh &
 fi
    ;;
stop)

if [ -f /var/tmp/shut.down ]; then
  rm /var/tmp/shut.down
 fi
 ifconfig eth0 down

;;
*)
    echo "Usage: $0 [start|stop]"
    ;;
esac

Now set the WOL option in the synology assistant and then shutdown the machine. Use the WOL option in synology assistant to test WOL is functional.
If you need WOL over a WAN connection your router will need to be able to pass the magic packet on to the LAN devices.

Edited by CtrlAltDel

1 hour ago, CtrlAltDel said:

If you need WOL over a WAN connection your router will need to be able to pass the magic packet on to the LAN devices.

I did already everything but this part. :2_grimacing:

What NAT port should I map?

The same one I use for a SSH connection to the NAS?

Thanks

Edited by Cr4z33

UDP 7 and 9 iirc not all routers will pass/broadcast the magic packet correctly so this may or may not work for you?

If you use a router with Tomato installed there is a WOL utility under tools which is handy if you have VPN access to your router. Obviously you need access to the routers control panel so only people with admin rights could use that method. Other flavours of router firmware offer similar tools in some cases. Stock consumer routers firmware tend not to support WOL via WAN very well in my experience. 

If you can join your network using a VPN you should be able to use WOL to start machines that are accessible on the same network using a WOL script/utility. Obviously that's not much help if the machine in question is the VPN server and it's down.

This maybe useful? https://www.depicus.com/wake-on-lan/woli

UDP 7 and 9 iirc not all routers will pass/broadcast the magic packet correctly so this may or may not work for you?

If you use a router with Tomato installed there is a WOL utility under tools which is handy if you have VPN access to your router. Obviously you need access to the routers control panel so only people with admin rights could use that method. Other flavours of router firmware offer similar tools in some cases. Stock consumer routers firmware tend not to support WOL via WAN very well in my experience. 

If you can join your network using a VPN you should be able to use WOL to start machines that are accessible on the same network using a WOL script/utility. Obviously that's not much help if the machine in question is the VPN server and it's down.

This maybe useful? https://www.depicus.com/wake-on-lan/woli
Thanks I will read everything carefully later, but let me remind everybody that the NAS does not even go into sleep mode when using Synology DSM.

On the other hand if I run ie. an Ubuntu Live session then sleep mode works flawlessly. :/

If your unit isn't going to sleep properly then WOL will never work!

Have you doubled checked your config and S99ZZZ_Shutdown.sh script including making sure the script has write access? You need that working to get your unit to sleep. I use that method with HP N40L and Gen8 devices without any issues. WOL works fine for me using LAN or VPN WAN.

P.S. I also have the power button fix applied to my HP servers, which I need if I power off using the power switch, rather than the DSM control panel shutdown. Maybe your hardware needs a similar fix? Try searching the forum for 'acpi power off' or 'acpi power switch' etc. there should be some scripts and instructions on here. There's also an alternative power button script called 'POWERBUTTON_6.1-0005.spk' - I'm not running 6.1 so I don't know if the old method works on 6.1, maybe try this newer script first?

If your unit isn't going to sleep properly then WOL will never work!

Have you doubled checked your config and S99ZZZ_Shutdown.sh script including making sure the script has write access? You need that working to get your unit to sleep. I use that method with HP N40L and Gen8 devices without any issues. WOL works fine for me using LAN or VPN WAN.

P.S. I also have the power button fix applied to my HP servers, which I need if I power off using the power switch, rather than the DSM control panel shutdown. Maybe your hardware needs a similar fix? Try searching the forum for 'acpi power off' or 'acpi power switch' etc. there should be some scripts and instructions on here. There's also an alternative power button script called 'POWERBUTTON_6.1-0005.spk' - I'm not running 6.1 so I don't know if the old method works on 6.1, maybe try this newer script first?

I gave 755 to that script from root user so shouldn't it be already OK?

I too am already using the power button script, but unfortunately it only switches off the NAS and nothing else.

I'm out of suggestions I'm afraid. All I can say is WOL local and via VPN WAN works flawlessly for me on my HP units running DSM 6.0.2.x using the methods mentioned above.

I'm out of suggestions I'm afraid. All I can say is WOL local and via VPN WAN works flawlessly for me on my HP units running DSM 6.0.2.x using the methods mentioned above.
No problem mate I appreciated your effort to help me out. ;)