XPEnology Community

Tutorial: Install/Migrate DSM 5.2 to 6.0.2 (Jun's loader)

Polanskiman

On 8/23/2017 at 4:43 PM, creisey said:

i have a quite old mainboard the Intel Atom 330 D945GCLF2

it does not boot with this loader, it seams that the loader just contains the EFI stuff.

im looking and trying since a long time to get drive sleep but its not working.

anyone has some ideas how i can solve that?

cheers

I don't know your machine but the loader is hybrid and normally is able to either load in EFI or in Bios. Make sure your bios is configured properly.

On 23/08/2017 at 11:43 AM, creisey said:

i have a quite old mainboard the Intel Atom 330 D945GCLF2

it does not boot with this loader, it seams that the loader just contains the EFI stuff.

im looking and trying since a long time to get drive sleep but its not working.

anyone has some ideas how i can solve that?

cheers

Hello,

I have the same problem with mainboard intel g946gzis, cpu E4300, 2Go ddr2.

With Xpenoboot 5.2...., all work well, but with bootloader jun v1.01 the usbkey don't boot, and same with V1.00.

The only one boot is the image made by Arcao. But with this, the network card no start (no IP, and no detection with synology assist). I don't search more with this image now.

do you have a link to the image form Arcao, i havent found it.

im looking since a long time for a feature that gives me harddrive sleep but it doesnt work at least on 5.2

cheers

i read that there is libreboot for my mainboard D945GCLF2 maybe its working with that...

I have a HP NL40 running DSM 5.0-4493 I am able to upgrade to DSM 5.2 and all goes well.

However I have followed your tutorial 3 times now and I can't get jun v1.01 boot loader to work, when I select the 4th option for AMD, then I am just not able to see my NL40 via synology assistant.  Do you have any suggestions?

On 8/31/2017 at 3:15 AM, edie209 said:

I have a HP NL40 running DSM 5.0-4493 I am able to upgrade to DSM 5.2 and all goes well.

However I have followed your tutorial 3 times now and I can't get jun v1.01 boot loader to work, when I select the 4th option for AMD, then I am just not able to see my NL40 via synology assistant.  Do you have any suggestions?

Have you tried the force install line (using the default ramdisk) not the custom ramdisk I posted?

Thanks Polanskiman   I tried the update using Jun's 1.01 loader with no success 1.02b has no AMD support from what I have read, however I did manage to use this before my crash. In the end I found this loader https://mega.nz/#!PRIECYqJ!24VjNAOTozWoLlKyKrSngn1ArYT-VPd-1tvlizTDFDU  it was created by Jun but then repackaged by Arcao with some extra drivers and that has worked for me. I am now running DSM 6.0.2-8451, I managed to save all my data too, which I am really pleased about.

I might try the standard ramdisk and see what happens

The last issue is getting my UPS to work. its a PowerWalker vi 650va if anyone has any suggestions.

On 9/3/2017 at 6:31 PM, edie209 said:
The last issue is getting my UPS to work. its a PowerWalker vi 650va if anyone has any suggestions.

It is most probably due to the fact that your UPS is a usb 1.1 and nor DSM or the loader contain the usb 1.1 module. A work around is to plug the UPS into a usb hub and then plug the usb hub into DSM. Jun included that module starting at v1.02.

Hi all,

I'm trying to migrate from DSM 5.2 to 6.0 using Jun's 1.01 loader and everything's been going fine and I can find my Syno using WebAssistant. However I have a question:

By coincidence my previous version of DSM 5.2 set up for the same DS3615xs as used in Jun's loader. So now WebAssistant is saying: "We've detected that the hard drives of your current DS3615xs had been moved from a previous DS3615xs and installing a newer DSM is required before continuing". And only one button I can press - INSTALL. But I was expecting a Migrate button to be able to choose the target .pat file. I'm confused now... If I press install - will it erase all the data on my HDs? What should I do? Could you please help? 

I'm trying to install the JUN V1.01 (because it's the one who support AMD) on this system :

Motherboard : Asus M4A89TD

Mem : 16 Go

CPU : AMD FX(tm)-8150 Eight-Core Processor at 3612 MHz (x 8)

GPU : GForce GTX 770

LAN : RTL8111E

The loader boot, but i can't ping it. And there is no verbose on the screen....

Something tell me it's the onboard NIC card that is not supported... (My card are shown in V5.2 of the loader, but i only see RTL8150.ko on the list included in the LZMA file)

I set my PID/VID, MAC and Serial #

So am i on the right assumption ? (NIC not compatible)

If yes, which NIC card (available for purchase) are supported ? Is all Broadcom are ? (i see Broadcom.ko in the list)

Edited by Banshee1971

2 hours ago, alex_333 said:

Hi all,

I'm trying to migrate from DSM 5.2 to 6.0 using Jun's 1.01 loader and everything's been going fine and I can find my Syno using WebAssistant. However I have a question:

By coincidence my previous version of DSM 5.2 set up for the same DS3615xs as used in Jun's loader. So now WebAssistant is saying: "We've detected that the hard drives of your current DS3615xs had been moved from a previous DS3615xs and installing a newer DSM is required before continuing". And only one button I can press - INSTALL. But I was expecting a Migrate button to be able to choose the target .pat file. I'm confused now... If I press install - will it erase all the data on my HDs? What should I do? Could you please help? 

Click install. You will have the migration option after.

On 9/5/2017 at 7:43 AM, Banshee1971 said:

I'm trying to install the JUN V1.01 (because it's the one who support AMD) on this system :

Motherboard : Asus M4A89TD

Mem : 16 Go

CPU : AMD FX(tm)-8150 Eight-Core Processor at 3612 MHz (x 8)

GPU : GForce GTX 770

LAN : RTL8111E

The loader boot, but i can't ping it. And there is no verbose on the screen....

Something tell me it's the onboard NIC card that is not supported... (My card are shown in V5.2 of the loader, but i only see RTL8150.ko on the list included in the LZMA file)

I set my PID/VID, MAC and Serial #

So am i on the right assumption ? (NIC not compatible)

If yes, which NIC card (available for purchase) are supported ? Is all Broadcom are ? (i see Broadcom.ko in the list)

Use the default extra.lzma ramdisk not the custom one. Module for RTL8111E is included. Quote from the tutorial below...

On 10/28/2016 at 11:18 PM, Polanskiman said:

############# Included default modules in Jun's Loader #############

Change log - Arcao » 25 Oct 2016 20:22

I think i did that. I use the Jun loader 1.01

But i notice this on the Asus motherboard spec : Gigabit Realtek[emoji768] 8111E optimize fir the Ai NET2
technology

Think i will find another nic for testing... Intel Pro 1000 GT or PT

My server actually run Win 10 + VmWare Pro (with the Jun loader 1.01). When I test it, i simply remove the sata connector of the win10 installation (internal SSD).

I test it for fun! :smile: (already own a DS410 and DS212J).... But if i can make it work stable for a long period of time, probably i will switch :smile:

Envoyé de mon SM-T560NU en utilisant Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Banshee1971 said:

I think i did that. I use the Jun loader 1.01

But i notice this on the Asus motherboard spec : Gigabit Realtekemoji768.png 8111E optimize fir the Ai NET2
technology

Think i will find another nic for testing... Intel Pro 1000 GT or PT

My server actually run Win 10 + VmWare Pro (with the Jun loader 1.01). When I test it, i simply remove the sata connector of the win10 installation (internal SSD).

I test it for fun! :smile: (already own a DS410 and DS212J).... But if i can make it work stable for a long period of time, probably i will switch :smile:

Envoyé de mon SM-T560NU en utilisant Tapatalk

To be sure what module it is using for the network controller you could run live ubuntu and check what are the loaded network modules used. Then report back here.

You can also try the following and let me know if that works. In the grub.cfg file, change the following line and then try installing again.

initrd $img/ramdisk.lzma $img/$extra_initrd

to: 

initrd $img/$extra_initrd $img/ramdisk.lzma

Let me know if that works.

17 minutes ago, jokeman said:

I just installed 5.2 then upgraded to 6.0.2-8451. As I see there are updates of this version. Do I have to update from 1 to 11 in order, or may I upload directly just the update 11. Thank you very much

You can install update 11 directly. Critical updates are incremental so newer updates contain the fixes of older ones.

16 hours ago, Polanskiman said:

To be sure what module it is using for the network controller you could run live ubuntu and check what are the loaded network modules used. Then report back here.

You can also try the following and let me know if that works. In the grub.cfg file, change the following line and then try installing again.

initrd $img/ramdisk.lzma $img/$extra_initrd

to: 

initrd $img/$extra_initrd $img/ramdisk.lzma

Let me know if that works.

Didn't work.

Now i'm downloading UBuntu 64 and 32 bits to test it.. very slow to download !

But i order an Intell Pro 100 BT nic card, so hope this one will work

Quote from Polanskiman  

On 11/20/2016 at 3:13 PM, Polanskiman said:

Download the loader, unzip it and put the image file (synoboot.img) directly on the desktop.

1 - If your flash drive is plugged, unplug it.

2 - Open terminal. Issue the following commands:

cd /
cd ~/Desktop
diskutil list

The last command should bring up the list of your drives. Below is what it shows on mine:

TlMBP:Desktop Tl$ cd /
TlMBP:/ Tl$ cd ~/Desktop
TlMBP:Desktop Tl$ diskutil list
/dev/disk0
  #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
  0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *500.1 GB   disk0
  1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk0s1
  2:          Apple_CoreStorage                         200.3 GB   disk0s2
  3:                 Apple_Boot Recovery HD             650.0 MB   disk0s3
  4:                  Apple_HFS Funky                   298.8 GB   disk0s4
/dev/disk1
  0:                  Apple_HFS Yosemite               *199.9 GB   disk1
                                Logical Volume on disk0s2
                                CC0A6E92-5D3B-4FF8-A35F-ACF567B573CD
                                Unencrypted

Now plug your flash drive and issue the diskutil list command again:

/dev/disk0
/dev/disk1
                                Unencrypted
/dev/disk2
  0:     FDisk_partition_scheme                        *31.0 GB    disk2
  1:                 DOS_FAT_32                         41.1 MB    disk2s1
  2:                 DOS_FAT_32                         49.4 MB    disk2s2

You can see my flash drive (31GB) now with the identifier disk2. Note that your flash drive identifier could be something else (disk3, disk4...) so don't just copy paste.

Now issue the following command:

sudo diskutil unmountDisk /dev/disk2

You might be asked for your password. Here is what I get:

TlMBP:Desktop Tl$ diskutil unmountDisk /dev/disk2
Unmount of all volumes on disk2 was successful

Then issue the following command. Same comment: BE SURE TO USE THE RIGHT IDENTIFIER. There is no turning back on this one. If you mistakenly use the identifier of some other disk, it will overwrite it with the image. SO BE VERY CAREFUL.

sudo dd if=synoboot.img of=/dev/rdisk2 bs=1m

You should see this:

TlMBP:Desktop Tl$ sudo dd if=synoboot.img of=/dev/rdisk2 bs=1m
50+0 records in
50+0 records out

You are done.

If you want to access the content of the drive you have to issue the following commands:

Verify again your flash drive identifier. YES AGAIN. You will need the disk partition identifier this time:

diskutil list

You should get this:

/dev/disk0
/dev/disk1
                                Unencrypted
/dev/disk2
  0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *31.0 GB    disk2
  1:                        EFI NO NAME                 31.5 MB    disk2s1
  2: 0FC63DAF-8483-4772-8E79-3D69D8477DE4               15.7 MB    disk2s2
  3:        Bios Boot Partition                         4.2 MB     disk2s3

Note the EFI NO NAME partition with the identifier disk2s1 of the flash drive. This is the one we want. Then issue:

mkdir /Volumes/efi

Followed by:

sudo mount -t msdos /dev/disk2s1 /Volumes/efi

Your flash drive is now mounted. Edit what you need and eject when done. If you need to mount the flash drive again issue the last 2 commands. Always beware of the disk ID.

Hide  

Hello,

This doesn't work.

I presume you have to rename the loader file to synoboot.img because they are named as DS3617xs 6.1 Jun's Mod V1.02b etc.  I did that.

The problem is the mkdir /Volumes/efi step.  It results in a Permission denied.

I'm running macOS 10.12.6.  I think you have tried to create a directory where it's no longer allowed.

Thank you.

25 minutes ago, steve23094 said:

Hello,

This doesn't work.

I presume you have to rename the loader file to synoboot.img because they are named as DS3617xs 6.1 Jun's Mod V1.02b etc.  I did that.

I'm running macOS 10.12.6.  I think you have tried to create a directory where it's no longer allowed.

Thank you.

I was right.  You're no longer allowed to write to /Volumes.  For anybody else: Change the reference from Volumes to another folder.  I used /tmp

e.g. mkdir /tmp/efi and sudo mount -t msdos /dev/disk2s1 /tmp/efi

Edited by steve23094

On 9/5/2017 at 6:59 AM, Polanskiman said:

It is most probably due to the fact that your UPS is a usb 1.1 and nor DSM or the loader contain the usb 1.1 module. A work around is to plug the UPS into a usb hub and then plug the usb hub into DSM. Jun included that module starting at v1.02.

I have tried using Jun's v1.02 for the last two evenings with 3 different USB drives and I keep getting ”Failed to install the file. The file is probably corrupted. (13)"

So I follow your advice and I am 200% positive

" it means your VID and/or PID is wrong. If you are 200% sure that your VID/PID is correct and you still get that error message then try to 'Force Install'."

But there is no Force install option.  I have also downloaded the .pat file about 3 times just in case that was the problem.  Now I am out of ideas unless I can I edit the grub menu to present a menu to force option?

On 9/6/2017 at 5:22 PM, steve23094 said:

Hello,

This doesn't work.

Thank you.

The "It doesn't work" statement is not entirely correct.

1 - The image name obviously needs renaming if you want the command to work. This guide was made when loader v1.01 came out and the image was named by default 'synoboot.img'.

2 - This was made last year with MAC OS X 10.10.5 (Yosemite). It still does work under MAC OS 10.12.6 (Sierra) for the exception that the /volume directory is only writeable by the root user.

On 9/6/2017 at 5:44 PM, steve23094 said:

I was right.  You're no longer allowed to write to /Volumes.  For anybody else: Change the reference from Volumes to another folder.  I used /tmp

e.g. mkdir /tmp/efi and sudo mount -t msdos /dev/disk2s1 /tmp/efi

Apple changed the permission of /Volume since Sierra for security reasons. As stated by Apple: one "[...] can no longer create items in /Volumes unless root."

I suppose you would have been able to run the mkdir command by elevating the permission and using 'sudo'. I haven't tried it myself since I am still using Yosemite & El Capitan but the /tmp is a good work around.

14 hours ago, edie209 said:
  I have tried using Jun's v1.02 for the last two evenings with 3 different USB drives and I keep getting ”Failed to install the file. The file is probably corrupted. (13)"

So I follow your advice and I am 200% positive

" it means your VID and/or PID is wrong. If you are 200% sure that your VID/PID is correct and you still get that error message then try to 'Force Install'."

But there is no Force install option.  I have also downloaded the .pat file about 3 times just in case that was the problem.  Now I am out of ideas unless I can I edit the grub menu to present a menu to force option?

This topic is about upgrading DSM from 5.2 to 6.0.2 with v1.01, not v1.02b. Also you are quoting and taking what I said out of context. You are using 1.02b but the quote refers to v1.01.

On 10/28/2016 at 11:18 PM, Polanskiman said:
Note 3: Please check you have the right VID/PID prior proceeding. If you get the following error ”Failed to install the file. The file is probably corrupted. (13)" it means your VID and/or PID is wrong. If you are 200% sure that your VID/PID is correct and you still get that error message then try to 'Force Install'.

Loader v1.02b does not have a force install menu. Further questions about v1.02b should be asked in Jun's main thread or other topics related to 1.02b but not in this tutorial. Please make sure your post is in direct relation to the topic you are posting in.