• 0

How to update DSM6.2 to DSM 7.1


Question

Hello Guys!

Can someoene make a step by step tutorial on update? I read the forum for several hours, but not yet sure by the steps. So now i'm running 6.2.3 on a custom built pc, running dsm3617xs. Should i start update from controller (only 7.0.1 offered), then create a new pendrive with redpill loader, and boot with that after first reboot of nas pc, then follow the instruction? Or should i retrieve something from the old pendrive first? Sorry for being noob, but i don't want to loose any data or settings, and i don't currently have any other spare pc to test.....
Thank you!

Gergely

Edited by gregos
Link to post
Share on other sites

5 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0
On 4/22/2022 at 6:39 AM, gregos said:

I read the forum for several hours, but not yet sure by the steps.

its the same as a fresh install but when dsm install process detects a "older" version on disk it will "migrate" aka update it to the new one (and in case of 6->7 there are major differences with packages so you might need to replace same after the update with 7.0 aware versions - automatically happens for syno's own packages from there repository), it can also be a different model of synology and the migrate will take as much as possible to the now model, so you can exven change from 3615 to 918+ or 3622 in that process

you would just shutdown your 6.2.3, remove the old usb and insert the one with the 7.x loader

its suggested to prepare/test  the 7.x loader with a single blank disk (even a old small disk is ok), so you are sure it works, detects you hardware and you could even test packages with 7.x that way

when finished testing the single test-disk can be deleted and the 7.x loader usb can be used for updating your old 6.2.3 dsm disks

 

its the same situation on a original synology hardware (internal usm dom) when a old hardware with loader 6.2.x breaks and the new hardware sent to the customer comes with a recent 7.1 loader on the internal usb dom, the customer puts in his disks, boots up and does the update to 7.1

(the usb dom only holds the loader/kernel of DSM, the DSM OS itself  is stored on every disk as a raid1 2.4GB partition)

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
2 hours ago, IG-88 said:

its the same as a fresh install but when dsm install process detects a "older" version on disk it will "migrate" aka update it to the new one (and in case of 6->7 there are major differences with packages so you might need to replace same after the update with 7.0 aware versions - automatically happens for syno's own packages from there repository), it can also be a different model of synology and the migrate will take as much as possible to the now model, so you can exven change from 3615 to 918+ or 3622 in that process

you would just shutdown your 6.2.3, remove the old usb and insert the one with the 7.x loader

its suggested to prepare/test  the 7.x loader with a single blank disk (even a old small disk is ok), so you are sure it works, detects you hardware and you could even test packages with 7.x that way

when finished testing the single test-disk can be deleted and the 7.x loader usb can be used for updating your old 6.2.3 dsm disks

 

its the same situation on a original synology hardware (internal usm dom) when a old hardware with loader 6.2.x breaks and the new hardware sent to the customer comes with a recent 7.1 loader on the internal usb dom, the customer puts in his disks, boots up and does the update to 7.1

(the usb dom only holds the loader/kernel of DSM, the DSM OS itself  is stored on every disk as a raid1 2.4GB partition)

 

Hi! Thanks for this guidline! I will try to find some spare HDD at home, and i'll give it a try! Have a nice day :)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
On 4/24/2022 at 5:14 PM, IG-88 said:

its the same as a fresh install but when dsm install process detects a "older" version on disk it will "migrate" aka update it to the new one (and in case of 6->7 there are major differences with packages so you might need to replace same after the update with 7.0 aware versions - automatically happens for syno's own packages from there repository), it can also be a different model of synology and the migrate will take as much as possible to the now model, so you can exven change from 3615 to 918+ or 3622 in that process

you would just shutdown your 6.2.3, remove the old usb and insert the one with the 7.x loader

its suggested to prepare/test  the 7.x loader with a single blank disk (even a old small disk is ok), so you are sure it works, detects you hardware and you could even test packages with 7.x that way

when finished testing the single test-disk can be deleted and the 7.x loader usb can be used for updating your old 6.2.3 dsm disks

 

its the same situation on a original synology hardware (internal usm dom) when a old hardware with loader 6.2.x breaks and the new hardware sent to the customer comes with a recent 7.1 loader on the internal usb dom, the customer puts in his disks, boots up and does the update to 7.1

(the usb dom only holds the loader/kernel of DSM, the DSM OS itself  is stored on every disk as a raid1 2.4GB partition)

 

Hi IG-88! Can you please tell me where can i find the user_config.json to move to the new loader? As i can not find it.... On the redpill flashdrive i can see them, but i can not map drives to my old pendrive, so i can not move serial & mac.... (i created the redpill loader following the tutorial on this forum, including ssh, rploader commands, etc. on a spare hdd, with a spare pendrive.)

 

Thanks in advance!

Gergely

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
4 hours ago, gregos said:

where can i find the user_config.json to move to the new loader?

that depends on the loader you are using, user_config.json belongs to tinycore and the "results" after using this file will end in in the 1st partiton in grub.cfg

in that regard the rp loader is still the same as jun's loader, the values end  up as kernel parameters in grub.cfg

looks like this in grub.cfg: (see the vid/pid, sn and mac?)

linux /zImage HddHotplug=0 withefi console=ttyS0,115200n8 netif_num=1 syno_hdd_detect=0 syno_port_thaw=1 vender_format_version=2 earlyprintk mac1=E7ACA9ACDCFF syno_hdd_powerup_seq=1 pid=0x0001 log_buf_len=32M syno_hw_version=DS918+ vid=0x46f4 earlycon=uart8250,io,0x3f8,115200n8 sn=1330NZN012245 elevator=elevator root=/dev/md0 loglevel=15

 

so either do it the tc way and work with its commands and user_config.json or the plain rp way by editing grub.cfg directly

but if you use tc later on then the values in grub.cfg will be overwritten later when tc writes its values to the grub.cfg

 

edit:  user_config.json would be stored in the 3rd partion where tc resides

mydata.tgz

\home\tc\user_config.json

Edited by IG-88
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.