Asus B460M-A Motherboard only works with 918+ ?


Recommended Posts

I was upgrading my Xpenology hardware from a HP Z230 tower to a newer setup.

 

  The plus of this board is the 6 sata ports and the newer CPU architecture.  The onboard NIC would not recognize.  I used an old Intel 1000 PCi-E card that was in my parts bin.   In the bios, disabled things not in use- sound, serial ports, the onboard NIC

 

  The bad is that have not been able to install anything except the 918+ due to the inability to boot anything other than UEFI.   Wanted to install the 3617+ because of the higher core count, but every variety tried failed.  

 

  Am using an Intel I5-10400 CPU with Hyperthreading set to OFF.  The 918+ from what was stated on this site only uses 4 cores anyway.  I should have read that before buying it, but oh well.  

 

  If anyone else has any luck with booting legacy in the Asus board with the LGA 1200 chip, please chime in.  Would like to use 12 logicals instead of 4.  On the plus side, it took the install and the expanding a drive without any hitch.

 

  Only had to remove the USB from the old setup and transfer drives over.  It booted right up and didn't require any fiddling or setup.  Had to reset the static IP only.

 

  Thanks

Edited by smoothmove
Link to post
Share on other sites

Budget ASUS board, looks like it supports UEFI only.  Some folks have experimented with a boot passthrough manager, search for it as a potential option or someone will chime in with a link.

 

However, you are getting all six cores functional with HT off.  The fact that the DS918+ only had four cores is irrelevant. You need DS3617xs only if you want all six cores with HT on.

Edited by flyride
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I got the board for $80 at micro center and  really can't complain. It worked without any real fiddling.    Would like all 6 core / 12 logical working for Plex, but the 918+ supposedly transcodes better.

 

  I am going to put 32gb of ram in it for some reason as it is sitting here.    If the DS3617xs ends up going UEFi, it will get upgraded.  

 

  Thanks Flyride.   I did want to post this if anyone else was going to try the board and CPU combo.  It is newer and haven't seen other posts about it. 

Edited by smoothmove
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/20/2020 at 2:09 PM, flyride said:

You might want to look into something like this - not sure if this is what others had made work successfully, but might be worth a try: https://sourceforge.net/projects/cloverefiboot/

  

 

  Clover works as a boot loader for Linux variants, Windows and MacOS.  Wouldn't work for our purposes here.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...
On 8/20/2020 at 12:40 PM, smoothmove said:

I was upgrading my Xpenology hardware from a HP Z230 tower to a newer setup.

 

  The plus of this board is the 6 sata ports and the newer CPU architecture.  The onboard NIC would not recognize.  I used an old Intel 1000 PCi-E card that was in my parts bin.   In the bios, disabled things not in use- sound, serial ports, the onboard NIC

 

  The bad is that have not been able to install anything except the 918+ due to the inability to boot anything other than UEFI.   Wanted to install the 3617+ because of the higher core count, but every variety tried failed.  

 

  Am using an Intel I5-10400 CPU with Hyperthreading set to OFF.  The 918+ from what was stated on this site only uses 4 cores anyway.  I should have read that before buying it, but oh well.  

 

  If anyone else has any luck with booting legacy in the Asus board with the LGA 1200 chip, please chime in.  Would like to use 12 logicals instead of 4.  On the plus side, it took the install and the expanding a drive without any hitch.

 

  Only had to remove the USB from the old setup and transfer drives over.  It booted right up and didn't require any fiddling or setup.  Had to reset the static IP only.

 

  Thanks

I've been able to get an intel 10400t CPU and ASRock H410M-ITX/ac motherboard up and running in combination with the 1.03b DS3615xs loader, however DSM recognizes only 8 cores. I've read somewhere that this is the limit DS3615xs but I am not quite sure if this is the reason. The geekbench result is also comparable low (My system got 3700 points whereas other 10400t users have more than 4500 Geekbench 5 multi score)


Interestingly the onboard NIC Intel-219V wasn't recognized by DSM, but it is working perfectly on my main NAS (ASRock Z370M Pro4). Any ideas why the onboard NIC work on the second mainboard and doesn't on the ASRock H410M-ITX/ac?

Link to post
Share on other sites

That isn't correct, 918+ and 3615xs are 4c8t, 3617xs is 8c16t.  Both of you should be disabling HT which reserves all threads for actual cores, for maximum CPU performance on 918+

 

DSM reports on threads.  It's easy to confuse cores and threads with this.

 

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/13333-tutorialreference-6x-loaders-and-platforms/

 

Edited by flyride
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, flyride said:

That isn't correct, 918+ and 3615xs are 4c8t, 3617xs is 8c16t.  Both of you should be disabling HT which reserves all threads for actual cores, for maximum CPU performance on 918+

 

DSM reports on threads.  It's easy to confuse cores and threads with this.

 

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/13333-tutorialreference-6x-loaders-and-platforms/

 

Thanks for the hint. I disabled HT and changed the loader to ds3617xs 1.03b. It gave me a small performance boost. But nonetheless I didn't get the performance I was hoping for.
I now get 4082 Multi-Core Score in Geekbench compared to another user who gets 4845 points. One reason could be that I've only one DDR4 slot in use and the CPU is optimized for dual channel. I am open minded if someone has anything else which I could try.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, smileyworld said:

Thanks for the hint. I disabled HT and changed the loader to ds3617xs 1.03b. 

 

Change the loader (replacing DSM to DS3617xs) or disable hyperthreading.  You don't need to do both.

 

If you are running 1.03b/DS3617xs, you can have HT on and all kernel threads (12) will be assigned to cores and hyperthreads.

If you are running 1.04b/DS918+, you should have HT off and 6 kernel threads will be assigned to cores for best performance.

 

You may have a good reason to run DS918+ (NVMe cache or QuickSync) otherwise your best CPU performance result will be DS3617xs with HT enabled.

Edited by flyride
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, flyride said:

 

Change the loader (replacing DSM to DS3617xs) or disable hyperthreading.  You don't need to do both.

 

If you are running 1.03b/DS3617xs, you can have HT on and all kernel threads (12) will be assigned to cores and hyperthreads.

If you are running 1.04b/DS918+, you should have HT off and 6 kernel threads will be assigned to cores for best performance.

 

You may have a good reason to run DS918+ (NVMe cache or QuickSync) otherwise your best CPU performance result will be DS3617xs with HT enabled.

I should have read your table first. I switched HT back to on and now I get 4605, which I am perfectly fine with. You made my day and I appreciate your help🍻

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, flyride said:

That isn't correct, 918+ and 3615xs are 4c8t, 3617xs is 8c16t.  Both of you should be disabling HT which reserves all threads for actual cores, for maximum CPU performance on 918+

 

DSM reports on threads.  It's easy to confuse cores and threads with this.

 

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/13333-tutorialreference-6x-loaders-and-platforms/

 

thanks for the correction, but why does VMM report 6 cores\ 6 threads? Now that I think of it, i believe my HT is disabled anyway but that would require rebooting in bios to verify.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know what VMM is doing; I have no reason to use it since ESXi is superior in most every way.

 

You can see how many kernel threads are in use by cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep "^processor" | wc -l

 

That will not tell you which kernel threads are cores and which are hyperthreads, but you should be able to discern it with the total.

Edited by flyride
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...
On 11/1/2020 at 5:53 PM, smileyworld said:

I've been able to get an intel 10400t CPU and ASRock H410M-ITX/ac motherboard up and running in combination with the 1.03b DS3615xs loader, however DSM recognizes only 8 cores. I've read somewhere that this is the limit DS3615xs but I am not quite sure if this is the reason. The geekbench result is also comparable low (My system got 3700 points whereas other 10400t users have more than 4500 Geekbench 5 multi score)


Interestingly the onboard NIC Intel-219V wasn't recognized by DSM, but it is working perfectly on my main NAS (ASRock Z370M Pro4). Any ideas why the onboard NIC work on the second mainboard and doesn't on the ASRock H410M-ITX/ac?

I would suggest you use bootloader 1.04B + DS918 in order to get your ASRock H410M-ITX/ac onboard NIC Intel-219V recognized by DSM.

 

I read it from here that Intel-219V is supported

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/3/2020 at 9:12 AM, bladerider said:

I would suggest you use bootloader 1.04B + DS918 in order to get your ASRock H410M-ITX/ac onboard NIC Intel-219V recognized by DSM.

 

I read it from here that Intel-219V is supported

 

I found out that the onboard NIC works with an extra.lmza but the NIC was behaving oddly and the NAS is intended to be used in a productive environment so that was no option for me. Therefor I bought an Intel E1G42ETBLK ET Dual Gigabit NIC which is natively supported by Synology. Nevertheless thanks for the tip.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/20/2020 at 12:40 PM, smoothmove said:

Only had to remove the USB from the old setup and transfer drives over.  It booted right up and didn't require any fiddling or setup.  Had to reset the static IP only.

 

Hi smoothmove!

I have roughly the same hardware, but fail to install any xpenology version.

 Can you show your grub.cfg file (without the serial and mac address)? Hopefully there is something simple I have missed.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.