smoothmove

Asus B460M-A Motherboard only works with 918+ ?

Posted (edited)

I was upgrading my Xpenology hardware from a HP Z230 tower to a newer setup.

The plus of this board is the 6 sata ports and the newer CPU architecture.  The onboard NIC would not recognize.  I used an old Intel 1000 PCi-E card that was in my parts bin.   In the bios, disabled things not in use- sound, serial ports, the onboard NIC

The bad is that have not been able to install anything except the 918+ due to the inability to boot anything other than UEFI.   Wanted to install the 3617+ because of the higher core count, but every variety tried failed.  

Am using an Intel I5-10400 CPU with Hyperthreading set to OFF.  The 918+ from what was stated on this site only uses 4 cores anyway.  I should have read that before buying it, but oh well.  

If anyone else has any luck with booting legacy in the Asus board with the LGA 1200 chip, please chime in.  Would like to use 12 logicals instead of 4.  On the plus side, it took the install and the expanding a drive without any hitch.

Only had to remove the USB from the old setup and transfer drives over.  It booted right up and didn't require any fiddling or setup.  Had to reset the static IP only.

Thanks

Edited by smoothmove

Posted (edited)

Budget ASUS board, looks like it supports UEFI only.  Some folks have experimented with a boot passthrough manager, search for it as a potential option or someone will chime in with a link.

However, you are getting all six cores functional with HT off.  The fact that the DS918+ only had four cores is irrelevant. You need DS3617xs only if you want all six cores with HT on.

Edited by flyride
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

I got the board for $80 at micro center and  really can't complain. It worked without any real fiddling.    Would like all 6 core / 12 logical working for Plex, but the 918+ supposedly transcodes better.

I am going to put 32gb of ram in it for some reason as it is sitting here.    If the DS3617xs ends up going UEFi, it will get upgraded.  

Thanks Flyride.   I did want to post this if anyone else was going to try the board and CPU combo.  It is newer and haven't seen other posts about it. 

Edited by smoothmove

On 8/20/2020 at 2:09 PM, flyride said:

You might want to look into something like this - not sure if this is what others had made work successfully, but might be worth a try: https://sourceforge.net/projects/cloverefiboot/

Clover works as a boot loader for Linux variants, Windows and MacOS.  Wouldn't work for our purposes here.