XPEnology Community

From 6.2.3 to 7.2.1 using ARC

ed_co

Question

Posted (edited)

I have now partially working my migration hardware (some problems with the second controller, which disconnect the disks connected to it after a while with the log message "Drive Plugged out"). Thread here: 

Now let's say that I want to update from Jun's loader 1.04b 918+ BAREMETAL to ARC.

I investigated how to do it in the "official way" (meaning, real Synology hardware), and I found this page:

https://kb.synology.com/en-ph/DSM/tutorial/How_can_I_update_to_the_latest_DSM_version_from_an_older_version

So after having a look how to update the DS918+ to the latest DSM 7.2.1, they advice:

Screenshot2024-04-12at16_45_39.thumb.png.a20768b3362972fa681dbf2fb964ee56.png

Starting from my version: 6.2.3-25426

First update to: 6.2.4-25556

Then update to: 7.0.1-42218

Then update to: 7.2.1-69057 (with Update 1)

And finally update to:  7.2.1-69057 Update 5

So I was thinking if could be possible to do it that way:

Creating an ARC loader based on 918+ (to match exactly the current installation), and keep installing in sequence all this updates (probably changing the loader in every step of the way), so it will be smooth and with no problems instead of trying to do a migration, like even @AuxXxilium discourages to do it in his wiki, advising: "Upgrade DSM 6 to DSM 7 can cause some Issue, please use clean Disks for DSM 7 (Partition Layout and Size changed)."

@AuxXxilium, @Polanskiman@IG-88@flyride or anyone else, do you think could be possible to do it?

Thank you very much

Edited by ed_co

2 answers to this question

Skip 6.2.4-25556 altogether. Its a non working update with Xpenology.

You will have to rebuild the loader anyway, so get a new USB drive and choose choose ARPL (AuxXxilium) or M-SHELL by Peter Suh:

https://github.com/AuxXxilium/arc

https://github.com/PeterSuh-Q3/tinycore-redpill/releases

You will be presented with a choice to update to either 7.0.1 0r 7.2.1. Any one you choose will cause some apps to be uninstalled because they are no longer supported.

Check support on the apps you use before you update.

8 hours ago, rojoone2 said:

You will be presented with a choice to update to either 7.0.1 0r 7.2.1. Any one you choose will cause some apps to be uninstalled because they are no longer supported.

Check support on the apps you use before you update.

DOCKER IS CHANGED TO CONTAINER