XPEnology Community

Automated RedPill Loader (ARPL)

fbelavenuto

A little while ago, @wjz304's arpl-modules attempted something experimental,

and then restored the scsi/mpt3sas module to the stable version developed by fabio/pocopico.

https://github.com/wjz304/arpl-modules/commit/0eeedd4993b9f325082208f686bc8c183560ff96

@wjz304 Can you tell me what attempts were made on 23.9.0?
Was it an improvement?

Edited by Peter Suh

I originally had DSM 7.1, and updated using GUI to 7.2 U3, but now my TCRP didn't load.

I managed to use ARPL i18 and get it to the DSM loading page where it says "Recover", but I cannot recover.

Someone in the thread mentions that the SN and MAC needs to be the same as before, but I don't remember the previous SN and MAC. How can I find it?

Opera-2023-09-17at14_43.42@2x.thumb.png.9a81aedd28379aa7efb398e6b6fcf050.png

It loads up to around 3% then shows this:

Opera-2023-09-17at14_44.16@2x.thumb.png.72446c7485f20311f386e5bd54e2795d.png

I have access to Telnet though, but not sure what I can do to fix it.

Edited by martijnswaagman

7 hours ago, martijnswaagman said:

I originally had DSM 7.1, and updated using GUI to 7.2 U3, but now my TCRP didn't load.

I managed to use ARPL i18 and get it to the DSM loading page where it says "Recover", but I cannot recover.

Someone in the thread mentions that the SN and MAC needs to be the same as before, but I don't remember the previous SN and MAC. How can I find it?

Opera-2023-09-17at14_43.42@2x.thumb.png.9a81aedd28379aa7efb398e6b6fcf050.png

It loads up to around 3% then shows this:

Opera-2023-09-17at14_44.16@2x.thumb.png.72446c7485f20311f386e5bd54e2795d.png

I have access to Telnet though, but not sure what I can do to fix it.

Try ARC loader, it will works. 

1 hour ago, Fox Mulder said:

It would be awesome if you can integrate a 5-bay model into ARPL(this or the newer 1522+ model if at all possible):

Many thanks for your great work!

I will tell you the results of further investigation regarding DS1522+.
DS1522+ is a bay expansion model of DS923+ and has the same characteristics of the Ryzen r1000 platform as DS923+.
DS1520+ utilizes an Intel iGPU capable of transcoding with the Gemini Lake platform.

Do you know the difference between these characteristics?
Still think you need DS1522+?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fox Mulder said:

It would be awesome if you can integrate a 5-bay model into ARPL(this or the newer 1522+ model if at all possible):

Many thanks for your great work!

And if you simply need a 5-bay storage panel instead of 4, you may want to use the panel size change function that has been supported since version 23.8.8 below.
Install DS923+ and change panel size from 4 to 5.

https://github.com/wjz304/arpl-i18n/releases/tag/23.8.8

• Like 2

On 9/18/2023 at 9:50 AM, Peter Suh said:

And if you simply need a 5-bay storage panel instead of 4, you may want to use the panel size change function that has been supported since version 23.8.8 below.
Install DS923+ and change panel size from 4 to 5.

https://github.com/wjz304/arpl-i18n/releases/tag/23.8.8

Many thanks! I am building a N1 based NAS and as I want to maximize the bay usage, I do want to have that capability. so it seems you solved the issue. I will try and let you know if I have more questions.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fox Mulder said:

Many thanks! I am building a N1 based NAS and as I want to maximize the bay usage, I do want to have that capability. so it seems you solved the issue. I will try and let you know if I have more questions.

I am also a user in the same case.
I'm glad it helped.

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/65422-jonsbo-n1-nas-case-asus-iot-h310i-im-a-r20-industrial-mobo-custom-nas-assembly-review/#comment-361097

I might be a bit stupid and maybe unable to just read, but can anybody help me with installing an additional nic in my build?

I pulled an Intel X540-T2 from my working machine, running under jun's loader with 6.3 and installed it in my new build,

a Fujitsu TXM2540 M1, which runs 7.2 (latest) under arpl-i18n 23.9.4

I rebuilt the loader, but the card is not recognised.

Any additional step I'm missing here?

Thank you for any help!

Edited by jollmo

29 minutes ago, jollmo said:

I might be a bit stupid and maybe unable to just read, but can anybody help me with installing an additional nic in my build?

I pulled an Intel X540-T2 from my working machine, running under jun's loader with 6.3 and installed it in my new build,

a Fujitsu TXM2540 M1, which runs 7.2 (latest) under arpl-i18n 23.9.4

I rebuilt the loader, but the card is not recognised.

Any additional step I'm missing here?

Thank you for any help!

By any chance have you installed DS3622xs+?
Your Works has two Intel I210s and uses the igb module.
This igb module has a conflict with ixgbe used by the vanilla Intel 10G nic of DS3622xs+.
In the past, improvements were made to ARPL and TCRP.
TCRP is maintaining this improvement.
Would you like to try again with TCRP?

https://github.com/PeterSuh-Q3/tinycore-redpill/releases/tag/v0.9.5.0

Thank you!

Yes, I took DS3622xs+,

it worked very well under 7.1, but started to behave less perfect with 7.2 (all resource monitoring data missing)

and now no detection of the nic...

Everything else is fine...

Changing to TCRP, will I loose any data?

And my machine has 8 ports via a hba card in ID mode and 2 additional SATA ports, with 1 SSD from which it's booting from, so I would have to choose 10 bays, correct?

Edited by jollmo

16 minutes ago, jollmo said:

Thank you!

Yes, I took DS3622xs+,

it worked very well under 7.1, but started to behave less perfect with 7.2 (all resource monitoring data missing)

and now no detection of the nic...

Everything else is fine...

Changing to TCRP, will I loose any data?

And my machine has 8 ports via a hba card in ID mode and 2 additional SATA ports, with 1 SSD from which it's booting from, so I would have to choose 10 bays, correct?

TCRP is another REDPILL loader that is the basis of ARPL. The loader and installed DSM never invade the data partition area. It is involved in the system partition.
Have you completed installing DSM 7.2 U3 using ARPL?
If so, if you change the loader to TCRP, the process of restoring to 7.2 U3 will appear once. After that, you will reach the top.
Don't be surprised by this.

This is the recommended setting for the combination of DS3622xs+ and HBA. Please set as below. Please feel free to choose the bay size.

Not EUDEV , Use Only DDSML

"SataPortMap": "12",

"DiskIdxMap": "1000",

"SasIdxMap: "0"

"MaxDisks: "24"

• Like 1

balenaEtcher, working good on a mac...

Never gave me problems...

Worked well on the first try, bootet into the shell and let me configure everything.

Boot ended up in a blinking cursor.

Second try, I formatted it to FAT and flashed the image again.

Now the Stick won't be recognised at all from the server's BIOS.

Tried 5 times already...

Weird, my old Kingston USB stick, I used for arpl works, but only in UEFI mode...

In the BIOS, I enabled legacy as well...

Somehow, it seems to be the stick, it works with all devices, but not on the server...

Need to buy another one...

Weird, that it worked once...

Edited by jollmo

9 hours ago, jollmo said:

Turned out, it was the stick...

The verbatim was crap, went and bought a new sandisk, now it boots on the first attempt.

Ok, machine is up and running, same behaviour, no 10G nic, no resource monitor...

This behavior seems to be a bit regular with the: x540-T2 (I have one), to avoid this I carry out the process without the 10G NIC installed, after the whole process, I turn off the PC, install the x540-T2 and it works without problems.

There is a similar behavior on the original boxes with a DS1821+ and E10G18-T1 the first boot for the first time does not give ping. but if I first configure DSM and then put the NIC, everything works without problems.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Agente Zeth said:

This behavior seems to be a bit regular with the: x540-T2 (I have one), to avoid this I carry out the process without the 10G NIC installed, after the whole process, I turn off the PC, install the x540-T2 and it works without problems.

In TCRP?

Because in ARPL that didn't work...

I could try to remove the card, build the loader again, boot into the system and shut down again, reinstall the NIC and maybe it'll work...

4 minutes ago, jollmo said:

In TCRP?

Because in ARPL that didn't work...

I could try to remove the card, build the loader again, boot into the system and shut down again, reinstall the NIC and maybe it'll work...

I will build the same system after work today and test whether it works with igb without having to remove x540-T2.
If the problem is recurring, I will improve it and distribute it.

• Like 2

Ok, I removed the NIC, booted without it, shut down, inserted it again, rebooted and the card works :-)

Don't know why, didn't change anything, but actually, I'm a happy camper.

One annoying thing, upon every restart, one of my disks reports an partition error and I have to repair it...

Thereafter everything is fine. SMART shows no errors.

• Like 1