XPEnology Community

Alder Lake build with HW transcoding.

Rasmus86

Hi,

Sorry if I’m posting in the wrong forum - can't seem to find an answer when searching around.

I’m looking into building a new Xpenology to replace my old i3-4170 DSM 6.2 version, but I can’t seem to figure out if Alder Lake is fully supported. I don’t care if its DSM 6.2 or 7 – whatever works with HW transcoding. I use it mainly for Plex and some Docker.

What I’m looking into:

Motherboard: ASRock Z690 PG Riptide with 8 SATA ports (LAN: Killer E3100G*)

CPU: Intel Core i3-12100F Alder Lake

*or maybe just buy a gigabit usb/pci network card, if E3100G does not work.

So, will the above work with HW transcoding and should I go with 6.2 or 7.1?

5 minutes ago, Peter Suh said:

Since i3-12100F does not have a built-in graphic, H/W transcoding is out of the question.
There are many examples of building REDPILL XPENOLOGY with Alder Lake.
The most stable model is DS3622xs+.

Hi Peter,

You are absolutely correct - it will be a regular 12100, not the F version. So UHD 730. Since the DS3522xs is Xeon based I assume that it will not work with Plex HW transcoding? So can I use REDPILL DS918+ for HW Transcoding or does it not work with 12th gen Intel?

10 minutes ago, Rasmus86 said:

Hi Peter,

You are absolutely correct - it will be a regular 12100, not the F version. So UHD 730. Since the DS3522xs is Xeon based I assume that it will not work with Plex HW transcoding? So can I use REDPILL DS918+ for HW Transcoding or does it not work with 12th gen Intel?

Only DS918+ and DS920+ models support H/W transcoding.
All CPUs with Intel 4th generation or higher integrated graphics can transcode.
However, like all new users, XPENOLOGY seems to think that H/W transcoding must be done.
Did you know that H/W transcoding is for viewing in low quality to save data in a mobile environment?

Yes, i'm fully aware of that - H/W transcoding is only used when streams are from outside my home. It is what i'm using today on JUN dsm6.2 DS918. Sometimes i'm looking at 5-6 streams at the same times, so my CPU struggles. That's why HW is important for me. At home I direct play everything.

• 5 months later...
2 hours ago, Korob said:

Transcoding and face recognition doesn't work with i3 12100

dev/dri empty

I didn't find any decision on this forum

this the best you can find atm, up to 10th gen and thats it

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/59909-i915ko-backported-driver-for-intel-10th-gen-ds918-ver-701-up3/

maybe with a image based on kernel 5.x it will be done, atm there is only sa6400 with kernel 5.x and so far 7.2 (in beta now) will not bring any changes about kernel versions used (maybe other new units will come out with 5.x), so far no release for sa6400 in a loader and even if, its not clear if it will be possible to add i915 driver, with kernel 3.x and 4.x it was not possible (like adding i915 driver to 3622), so far only systems inside the platform with a unit having a i915 driver are working like apollolake/geminilake (918+,920+, dva1622)

use older hardware or another nas system (like open media vault or unraid) where the kernel is not "fixed" (dsm is a appliance and things here build around the original kernels)

with that you should be able to use intel qsv support in jellyfin (free) or emby/plex (needs to payed)

• Like 1

28 минут назад, IG-88 сказал:

29 минут назад, IG-88 сказал:

Thanks for the answer. I'll continue to use i3 7100 until a solution appears. I bought b660 / i3 12100 for further upgrade without reading the forum before 😌

the question is do you really need that feature, i usually replay through a smf/cifs share or nfs a let the client device do the decoding and resize (and in most cases with better results) , the only scenario i can imagine is using movis over the internet (like vpn to the nas)

in local network with decent WiFi speeds its usually no problem just replaying files instead of "streaming"

its also possible to rely on local storage on mobile devices, 1TB microSD cards are affordable if you can accept mediocre write speeds

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

As far as HW transcoding I never use it. I pass the stream directly to my 2020 65" LG B2 OLED TV and I use SRT subtitles direct stream. I can do 4k 10 bit HDR with subtitles. My TV handles everything. Audio goes to my Onkyo receiver direct steam and it can decode DTS, Dolby and others. Zero lag and all using Plex free account.

• 1 month later...
В 17.03.2023 в 00:07, IG-88 сказал:

Can you help me?

1. I bought i3 10105/b560m especially for testing

2. I tried to install ds920+ ds918+ (DSM 7.1.1-42962 Update 5) baremetal  using ARPL and valid sn/mac

3. I used i915 addon in ARPL

Problems:

1. no face recognition - solved by using patch from here

https://github.com/jinlife/Synology_Photos_Face_Patch

1. no /dev/dri path 

(solved partially by using files from here https://imnks.com/6421.html ) Now it presents, but video station can't play video due to audio codecs absence

2. no /usr/syno/etc/codec/activation.conf directory  (no aac and another codecs for video station)

Can you tell me any decision or patch to download and install audio codecs? I found nothing at this moment

51 minutes ago, Korob said:

Now it presents, but video station can't play video due to audio codecs absence

2. no /usr/syno/etc/codec/activation.conf directory  (no aac and another codecs for video station)

Can you tell me any decision or patch to download and install audio codecs? I found nothing at this moment

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/24864-transcoding-without-a-valid-serial-number/?do=findComment&comment=439520

and there is also

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/65643-ame-30-patcher/

56 minutes ago, Korob said:

1. no /dev/dri path 

(solved partially by using files from here https://imnks.com/6421.html ) Now it presents,

in theory the files in arpl should be the same as these

@fbelavenuto

2 часа назад, IG-88 сказал:

I'll try to install update 4 to test. ARPL automatically installs update 5, and it doesn't work. Maybe it will work with earlier version

2 часа назад, IG-88 сказал:

in theory the files in arpl should be the same as these

after adding and overwriting existing files /dev/dri appears and contains two files