XPEnology Community

DVA3221 loader development thread

After encountering "no device detected" from "nvidia-smi" under ESXI passthrough, I resolved the issue by resetting the BIOS settings to default. This allowed both my GDDR5 and GDDR6 versions of GTX 1650 cards to function properly.

Here are the steps I took:

1. Installed a GTX GDDR6 GPU and enabled ESXI passthrough using the following parameters:

• hypervisor.cpuid.v0=FALSE
  • pciPassthru0.msiEnabled=FALSE

2. Despite seeing the device in the "lspci" output, "nvidia-smi" continued to display the "no device detected" error. I suspected that the older 440.44 driver might not support the GDDR6 version. To test this, I replaced the GDDR6 card with a GDDR5 card, but encountered the same error.

3. Before giving up, I decided to reset the BIOS settings to default. After rebooting, everything started working as expected. The GPU was detected, and deep video analysis functioned normally.

4. I switched back to the GDDR6 card, and it worked perfectly as well.

It turned out that the driver did support my GDDR6 card, which was slightly newer than the driver version. I have yet to identify which BIOS setting caused the issue, as I had made multiple changes to reduce power consumption.

On 7/11/2023 at 9:27 PM, intakes_tourers_0l said:

After encountering "no device detected" from "nvidia-smi" under ESXI passthrough, I resolved the issue by resetting the BIOS settings to default. This allowed both my GDDR5 and GDDR6 versions of GTX 1650 cards to function properly.

1. Installed a GTX GDDR6 GPU and enabled ESXI passthrough using the following parameters:

2. Despite seeing the device in the "lspci" output, "nvidia-smi" continued to display the "no device detected" error. I suspected that the older 440.44 driver might not support the GDDR6 version. To test this, I replaced the GDDR6 card with a GDDR5 card, but encountered the same error.

3. Before giving up, I decided to reset the BIOS settings to default. After rebooting, everything started working as expected. The GPU was detected, and deep video analysis functioned normally.

It turned out that the driver did support my GDDR6 card, which was slightly newer than the driver version. I have yet to identify which BIOS setting caused the issue, as I had made multiple changes to reduce power consumption.

I never succeeded passthrough my GTX1650, neither ESXi or PVE.

After you mentioned resetting BIOS setting, I think it might be "Above 4G decoding" causing the issue. On some motherboard (e.g. Asus), this setting is in the same menu as "SR-IOV support".

We all thought enabling "Above 4G decoding" should boost the performance of video card. But it also introduce some limitation (or compatibility issue). One known issue is SLi/Crossfire/Multi-GPU won't work if "Above 4G decoding" is enabled.

I'm now running with baremetal setup and very satisfied. So I'm not going to do any experiment. Anyone using VM and having passthough issue can try to DISABLE "Above 4G decoding" and see if it solves passthough issue.

51 minutes ago, snailium said:

I never succeeded passthrough my GTX1650, neither ESXi or PVE.

Thanks to @Orphée and others here, if got it going on PVE 8.  Key settings for me:

- Separate (additional) GTX1650 from host system GPU.

- Brand didn't seem to matter except for passthrough parameters (see below)

- VM config in PVE 8 is odd to me; I've not used this before.

System: Dell Prec. 7910

image.thumb.png.f5bcf05e1a8d98eaa6c614670462501b.png

Host grub boot line (/etc/default/grub)

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet intel_iommu=on iommu=pt pcie_acs_override=downstream multifunction initcall_blacklist=sysfb_init vfio-pci.ids=10de:1f82"

Where "vfio-pci.ids=10de:1f82" is derived from "lspci -nn | grep VGA"

The VM was the tricky part for me:

image.thumb.png.8dd43d42ba3e65c1fa377138585eb0aa.png

Couldn't get the Primary GPU option to work till I changed the display to VirtIO-GPU.

Hope this helps.

Note that DVA3221 supports multiple network cards so you can isolate your chinese camera network ;)

Also note that in my previous attempts I could get the GPU to "show up" in the info tab of DVA3221 and nvidia-smi would show the detect code loaded, but any use of the GPU would segfault the GPU code for object/face detection, and stall stall the system.

Now I'll get to work on the storage part of this equation.

Thanks everyone for the input.

I'm running two 918+s on ARPL 7.1 plus a DVA3221 no card installed baremetal but you couldn't pay me to attempt another proxmox gpu passthrough for this. 

I have all the parts laying around for 4+ 1650S, 3 RX 460 and two different rx 5600 xt, with Intel and AMD cpus, hardware galore! but proxmox makes me want to put ar15 in me mouth. So many variables.

its like sure, if I try 10 million different things, it will eventually work but, I'll be old and Grey by then. 

Tried multiple guides verbatim with kvm/qemu for Linux running Mac OS guest and simply couldn't get passthrough working regardless. Shoot I even tried an Automated version and nothing, even though 5 brands of gpu NOT oem either, nada. 

Maybe I'll try the ESXI route. 

Hi!

Im trying to install DVA3221 on Proxmox, But I always get 2 errors

When I  run

```./rploader.sh satamap now```

I got

-  No drives detected

When I dont run

```./rploader.sh satamap now```

I got

- We've detected errors on the hard drives (7, 8), and the SATA ports have also been disabled.

How to setup drives correctly on proxmox?

I'm also trying to install DVA3221 on Proxmox. I'm using the web ui.

Everything seems to go fine until I reboot. Then it gives a kernel panic extracting the initramfs, unexpected eof...

The same error appears on DVA3219. DVA1622 installs, but does not detect my nic (virtio).

Has anyone got DVA3221 installed on Proxmox and could you share your (vm-)config?

@Maximus you may want to give a try to ARPL-i18n

@MrHappy There is already plenty howtos/tutorials to build a proxmox environment. Try with another loader like DS3622xs+. As a reminder, there are CPU prerequisite to make DVA3221 (same as DS918+)

@Captainfingerbang Everything as already been addressed regarding Proxmox GPU passthrough in this thread. There are prerequisites on host system, and if you comply with all these prerequisites, and have a DVA3221 GPU compatible card, it has to work.

24 minutes ago, Orphée said:

@Maximus you may want to give a try to ARPL-i18n

@MrHappy There is already plenty howtos/tutorials to build a proxmox environment. Try with another loader like DS3622xs+. As a reminder, there are CPU prerequisite to make DVA3221 (same as DS918+)

@Captainfingerbang Everything as already been addressed regarding Proxmox GPU passthrough in this thread. There are prerequisites on host system, and if you comply with all these prerequisites, and have a DVA3221 GPU compatible card, it has to work.

I have DS3622xs+ running, but I would like to use the additional features DVA brings with Surveillance Station...

Using the same config does not work... (Also updating my DS3622xs+ to the latest DSM fails, so there's something else wrong also)

9 minutes ago, Orphée said:

@MrHappy well at least you gave all necessary info about your hardware environment (CPU, motherboard etc...) so it is easy to help (no).

Wouldn´'t the benefit of using a hypervisor be to not be dependent on specific hardware?

But I'm running a Dell PowerEdge R720 with a couple of  Intel Xeon E5-2697v2 2.7GHz...

On 7/11/2023 at 6:27 PM, intakes_tourers_0l said:

I have figured out that the culprit is the "Initial Display Output" BIOS setting for my ASUS motherboard.

If I set it to "IGFX" which means using the integrated GPU by default, passthrough GTX 1650 to DVA3221 on ESXI won't actually work.

It works when when I set it to "PCIE 1" but the side effect is that I have to manually deactivate-reactivate the GPU passthrough in ESXI hardware settings every time after reboot, or there would be always a reminder "needs reboot" on the GPU device item.

Hello all, just want to share for Pascal-based GPU, Facial Recognition and DVA works if the platform is DVA3219 which has 1050Ti bundled.

I tried DVA3221 first. It "seemed" to work. GPU was detected in the info center, nvidia-smi shows running tasks. But when I tried Facial Recognition and Object Detection, nothing is actually being detected.

DVA3219 is available on arpl-i18n under "beta" platforms.

My setup is Proxmox + GTX 1060 3gb gpu passthrough.

- for Proxmox, had to blacklist Nvidia drivers in the host to be able to successfully passthrough.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

My apologies if repeat question but after searching i cant find

Which cards have work with DVA 3221 surveillance station, assuming you have correct cpu?  1650? 1660?

What's the verdict thus far on adding GPU? Can we have a reminder?

I have dva3221 on arpl , running nice.. now i want to play..

Edited by Captainfingerbang

• 3 weeks later...

hello my firend :)

I installed DSM DVA 3221, I have a problem with facial recognition.

When I want to import a picture of a person an error message appears. this indicates :

"Impossible to perform this operation because the connection to the network is unstable or the system is busy. please try again later"

Has anyone had this problem before and know how to resolve it?

Thank you in advance and good day

erreur syno.PNG