XPEnology Community

What if SMART is not supported?

mcdull

I'm intersted in this topic, having no SMART data on ESXi hosts feels like being blind =)

@Djey http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/micros ... Id=2040405

I'm not sure you've seen that one, but just in cace. Basically, yes, the values are vendor specific, so a possible tool would need to know how to interpret it per vendor (maybe even model) basis.

Cheers,

sl0n

Hi,

I already know this page, but thanks for the link anyway ! And hopefully Vmware documentation is pretty clear on the Internet :smile:

Yeah, manufacturer or device specific interpretation would be a solution, but I don't like writing specific code - or would I have to modularize ?!

Btw, immediate step is to translate raw SMART values to usable ones and OK/KO indicators. I will take this fact into account.

• 1 month later...
Guest MPaladin

2 questions please

Is there any way to disable error message in xpenology saying there's a problem with the temperature ?

To install pi-control on a raspberry pi, should it be clean installed ? I mean, I've already have a pi with openelec/xbmc, can I perform the install without problem ? and with future updates (openelec for example) will it still be ok ?

thanks

• 1 month later...

Sorry for late reply, I did not get notifications about it :sad:

2 questions please

Is there any way to disable error message in xpenology saying there's a problem with the temperature ?

I wasn't able to suppress them. Anyone ?

To install pi-control on a raspberry pi, should it be clean installed ? I mean, I've already have a pi with openelec/xbmc, can I perform the install without problem ? and with future updates (openelec for example) will it still be ok ?

thanks

Pi-Control is a lightweight script-based application, which does not rely on system libraries directly. You don't need to format your system to install it.

As long as your updates don't break ruby script engine and SSH client it will be ok. At mine, I'm used to fetching git repository to /home/.../git/pi-control, and then I copy all files onto /media/.../pi-control (sdcard partition) to run them afterwards.

For those interested in project, still:

I've almost finished with a stable version of smartX webapp.

https://github.com/djey47/smartX

Release 1 will be available soon, in the meantime it can be installed manually by following instructions in README.md

Here are screens of what can be achieved with ESXI smart data fetched by pi-control module:

disk_list.png

smart_info.png

• 4 weeks later...

Important Update : for your information, I just released following apps:

pi-control is required to get SMART data, you only need to install smartX to easily watch storage state.

Dedicated thread here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4475

Feedback is welcome :smile:

• 5 years later...