XPEnology Community

Automated RedPill Loader (ARPL)

fbelavenuto

2 hours ago, jollmo said:

Ok, I removed the NIC, booted without it, shut down, inserted it again, rebooted and the card works :-)

Don't know why, didn't change anything, but actually, I'm a happy camper.

One annoying thing, upon every restart, one of my disks reports an partition error and I have to repair it...

Thereafter everything is fine. SMART shows no errors.

I used the Haswell platform ASROCK Works E3C232D4U.
In this MOBO, there is one e1000e and one igb.
And I have x540-AT2 (dual port), not x540-T2.
These two NICs use the same ixgbe module.

My test results are coming out successfully as shown below.

Spoiler

root@SA6400_NATIVE:~# uname -a
Linux SA6400_NATIVE 4.4.302+ #64570 SMP Thu Jul 20 00:06:30 CST 2023 x86_64 GNU/Linux synology_broadwellnk_3622xs+
root@SA6400_NATIVE:~# ethtool -i eth0
driver: e1000e
version: 3.8.4-NAPI
firmware-version: 0.13-4
expansion-rom-version: 
bus-info: 0000:00:19.0
supports-statistics: yes
supports-test: yes
supports-eeprom-access: yes
supports-register-dump: yes
supports-priv-flags: no
root@SA6400_NATIVE:~# ethtool -i eth1
driver: ixgbe
version: 5.5.5
firmware-version: 0x8000052f, 255.65535.255
expansion-rom-version: 
bus-info: 0000:02:00.0
supports-priv-flags: yes
root@SA6400_NATIVE:~# ethtool -i eth2
expansion-rom-version: 
bus-info: 0000:02:00.1
root@SA6400_NATIVE:~# ethtool -i eth3
driver: igb
version: 5.3.0-k
firmware-version: 3.16, 0x800004d6
expansion-rom-version: 
bus-info: 0000:03:00.0
root@SA6400_NATIVE:~# lspci -vnnq| egrep -i --color 'network|ethernet'
0000:00:19.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection I217-LM [8086:153a] (rev 05)
0000:02:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Intel Corporation Ethernet Controller 10-Gigabit X540-AT2 [8086:1528] (rev 01)
0000:02:00.1 Ethernet controller [0200]: Intel Corporation Ethernet Controller 10-Gigabit X540-AT2 [8086:1528] (rev 01)
0000:03:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Intel Corporation I210 Gigabit Network Connection [8086:1533] (rev 03)

I remember a user who had an issue in the past where x540-T2 could not be used.
I couldn't solve it at the time and eventually failed, but today I want to reveal the reason.

Although you succeeded by removing the card and installing it later,
It's only half a success.
If you wish, after re-triggering the error, please send me the logs as instructed in the link below so I can analyze the cause.
https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/53817-tinycore-redpill-loader-tcrp/?do=findComment&comment=450039

I would really love to help. but reading this, I'm coming wet from sweat from my cellar, where I just put my rig all together, as the machine now works perfectly...

For now I'm not going back, ripping all apart again, as my back hurts like mad (fng heavy all this stuff, the server, the UPS...)

But if I have to do it again, I promise to save and send logs!

Thank you a lot for your help!

Edited by jollmo
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Peter Suh said:

I used the Haswell platform ASROCK Works E3C232D4U.
In this MOBO, there is one e1000e and one igb.
And I have x540-AT2 (dual port), not x540-T2.
These two NICs use the same ixgbe module.

My test results are coming out successfully as shown below.

x540-AT2 Test Result (Hide contents)

root@SA6400_NATIVE:~# uname -a
Linux SA6400_NATIVE 4.4.302+ #64570 SMP Thu Jul 20 00:06:30 CST 2023 x86_64 GNU/Linux synology_broadwellnk_3622xs+
root@SA6400_NATIVE:~# ethtool -i eth0
driver: e1000e
version: 3.8.4-NAPI
firmware-version: 0.13-4
expansion-rom-version: 
bus-info: 0000:00:19.0
root@SA6400_NATIVE:~# ethtool -i eth1
expansion-rom-version: 
bus-info: 0000:02:00.0
root@SA6400_NATIVE:~# ethtool -i eth2
expansion-rom-version: 
bus-info: 0000:02:00.1
root@SA6400_NATIVE:~# ethtool -i eth3
driver: igb
version: 5.3.0-k
firmware-version: 3.16, 0x800004d6
expansion-rom-version: 
bus-info: 0000:03:00.0
root@SA6400_NATIVE:~# lspci -vnnq| egrep -i --color 'network|ethernet'
0000:00:19.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection I217-LM [8086:153a] (rev 05)
0000:02:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Intel Corporation Ethernet Controller 10-Gigabit X540-AT2 [8086:1528] (rev 01)
0000:02:00.1 Ethernet controller [0200]: Intel Corporation Ethernet Controller 10-Gigabit X540-AT2 [8086:1528] (rev 01)
0000:03:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Intel Corporation I210 Gigabit Network Connection [8086:1533] (rev 03)

I remember a user who had an issue in the past where x540-T2 could not be used.
I couldn't solve it at the time and eventually failed, but today I want to reveal the reason.

Although you succeeded by removing the card and installing it later,
It's only half a success.
If you wish, after re-triggering the error, please send me the logs as instructed in the link below so I can analyze the cause.
https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/53817-tinycore-redpill-loader-tcrp/?do=findComment&comment=450039

I'll share it with you later, I have a machine in trial and error mode, but I have the feeling that this failure even comes from DSM

5 hours ago, Agente Zeth said:

I'll share it with you later, I have a machine in trial and error mode, but I have the feeling that this failure even comes from DSM

I looked for more reviews of the x540-T2. At first, there were only failure reviews, but since then there have been more success stories. It is not clear whether everyone was successful in temporarily removing x540-T2. At the center of this problem is the proper maintenance of the ixgbe vanilla module built into DSM. The ixgbe module compiled by popopico must be excluded.

21 hours ago, Peter Suh said:

I looked for more reviews of the x540-T2. At first, there were only failure reviews, but since then there have been more success stories. It is not clear whether everyone was successful in temporarily removing x540-T2. At the center of this problem is the proper maintenance of the ixgbe vanilla module built into DSM. The ixgbe module compiled by popopico must be excluded.

I did the test and it shows the following error:

PrtScrcapture.thumb.jpg.37694da12b6a1df4352dec913f67729b.jpg

10 minutes ago, Agente Zeth said:

does exactly the same...

x.thumb.jpg.cc0365889276cb9b11bd4dac7b6f5468.jpg

I need to check the issue of not being able to find the IP further.
I think the errors shown at the bottom should also be resolved.
The zImage-dsm file is missing from the /mnt/sd#3/ partition.
Please check this part again.
It seems that an error message may have appeared during the loader build process.
After resolving the issue, this file will be located again.
I would like you to check the dmesg and linuxrc.syno.log files as follows.

and It's also strange that the command line is empty.

It's a little strange to continue the conversation on the ARPL topic, but I'll continue because ixgbe is a common issue with both loaders along with TCRP.

Edited by Peter Suh

Il y a 6 heures, Peter Suh a dit :

It seems that an error message may have appeared during the loader build process.

It's a little strange to continue the conversation on the ARPL topic, but I'll continue because ixgbe is a common issue with both loaders along with TCRP.

I also encountered several times the missing zImage-dsm file from the /mnt/sd#3/ partition, but personally mostly with the ARC fork. And at this time my tests were only based on Intel SSDPEKKF256G8 NVMe drive in a cheap AliExpress USB3 enclosure with a shitty RTL9210B chipset that put the drive in read only mode sometimes… Already tried to flash this chipset with different firmware revisions, sadly without enhancement seen… So loader cannot been correctly built when this occurs. Problem easily visible under Windows, but not so much when on the loader. 
Will try another USB3 flash drives, SanDisk and Lexar, and also TCRP Friends/MShell. 

And also encountered several times the empty command line issue, at boots or even when making choices at loader build step. 

Guys, I want to thank you all for the great and hard work your produce since years. Cheers ! 🥰

2 hours ago, mojojojotroi said:

I also encountered several times the missing zImage-dsm file from the /mnt/sd#3/ partition, but personally mostly with the ARC fork. And at this time my tests were only based on Intel SSDPEKKF256G8 NVMe drive in a cheap AliExpress USB3 enclosure with a shitty RTL9210B chipset that put the drive in read only mode sometimes… Already tried to flash this chipset with different firmware revisions, sadly without enhancement seen… So loader cannot been correctly built when this occurs. Problem easily visible under Windows, but not so much when on the loader. 
Will try another USB3 flash drives, SanDisk and Lexar, and also TCRP Friends/MShell. 

And also encountered several times the empty command line issue, at boots or even when making choices at loader build step. 

Guys, I want to thank you all for the great and hard work your produce since years. Cheers ! 🥰

Does your enclosure not support ESATA?

There are reviews from users who have experienced data loss due to USB-type enclosures.

And storage devices attached to USB ports can confuse the USB bootloader.

When building the loader, try removing the enclosure and installing it when booting.

I think the Lauder Building may have been hindered in this regard.

Hello everyone, I'm not very experienced, and I hope you can help me. I've created the loader with ARPL v1.1-beta2a, and everything works perfectly when starting dsm. My issue occurs when I power on or restart. 2/3 of the time, I get stuck at

Loading DSM Kernel...

Booting...

It stays stuck here (even for an hour), no HDD LED activity, and of course, it's not found on the network. If I power on and off twice, on the third attempt, it starts up. I've recreated the loader three times, with three different USB drives, but no solution.

When DSM starts up, the system is super stable. I've kept it running for 4 days 24/7 with 12 cameras, Docker, Plex, etc.

thanks to anyone who wants to help me

Model: 918+

Main: Asus Q87M-E

CPU: i7-4790T

RAM: 32GB

LAN: Intel I217LM 

DISK: 8 HDD SATA

14 hours ago, Peter Suh said:

That installation was from your M SHELL

5 hours ago, 123gas said:

Hello everyone, I'm not very experienced, and I hope you can help me. I've created the loader with ARPL v1.1-beta2a, and everything works perfectly when starting dsm. My issue occurs when I power on or restart. 2/3 of the time, I get stuck at

Loading DSM Kernel...

Booting...

It stays stuck here (even for an hour), no HDD LED activity, and of course, it's not found on the network. If I power on and off twice, on the third attempt, it starts up. I've recreated the loader three times, with three different USB drives, but no solution.

When DSM starts up, the system is super stable. I've kept it running for 4 days 24/7 with 12 cameras, Docker, Plex, etc.

thanks to anyone who wants to help me

Model: 918+

Main: Asus Q87M-E

CPU: i7-4790T

RAM: 32GB

LAN: Intel I217LM 

DISK: 8 HDD SATA

Would you like to switch to my TCRP?

https://github.com/PeterSuh-Q3/tinycore-redpill/releases/tag/v0.9.5.0

It seems that the jun mode method used in ARPL is not unrelated to boot time.

It seems to have gotten better with recent improvements in ARPL-i18n, but there is an element in the mechanism of jun mode, originally developed by developer jumkey, that slows down loading time.

It seems like there are some parts that were made quickly after ARPL's redesign, but it doesn't seem like a fundamental solution has been achieved.

8 hours ago, Peter Suh said:

Would you like to switch to my TCRP?

https://github.com/PeterSuh-Q3/tinycore-redpill/releases/tag/v0.9.5.0

It seems that the jun mode method used in ARPL is not unrelated to boot time.

It seems to have gotten better with recent improvements in ARPL-i18n, but there is an element in the mechanism of jun mode, originally developed by developer jumkey, that slows down loading time.

It seems like there are some parts that were made quickly after ARPL's redesign, but it doesn't seem like a fundamental solution has been achieved.

Hi, what is causing my problem? Is there no way to look at the logs to see where it is crashing? How is your TCRP loader different?

56 minutes ago, 123gas said:

Hi, what is causing my problem? Is there no way to look at the logs to see where it is crashing? How is your TCRP loader different?

If you switch to TCRP, there is a way to check the log.
Here's how:
https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/61839-tinycore-redpill-loader-build-support-tool-m-shell/?do=findComment&comment=449740

On 9/18/2023 at 9:50 AM, Peter Suh said:

And if you simply need a 5-bay storage panel instead of 4, you may want to use the panel size change function that has been supported since version 23.8.8 below.
Install DS923+ and change panel size from 4 to 5.

https://github.com/wjz304/arpl-i18n/releases/tag/23.8.8

Sorry to bother again, but how exactly do I change the panel size? is it done during installation, or after, and where?

34 minutes ago, Peter Suh said:

It seems to be invalid on 69057. It seems that it needs to be changed.

Aren't there good translators? ^^

But, what does this mean?

The addons does not work on 7.2.1 (69057). I will unpack it later to see if there have been any changes to the JS file