XPEnology Community

New Setup Or Stick With Old

Vodka2014

Question

Good Day,

So i have an system running v6.x right now and i have an old server DL360 G7, 2 Xeon CPU's & 192GB RAM.

I want to setup something more Stable so i am not sure what do so. Use XPEnology like i am doing now stragit as the boot loader or go with VMware, Promox as i see a lot of people doing Or something else. 

What is the Recommendation to use.

Thanks

13 answers to this question

What is your goal of your setup?

The benefit of using VM is you can emulate certain hardware features, or to workaround with some HDD detection problems (using SATA passthrough). I don't know the details, that's what I heard. And using VM also enables you to deploy more than one Xpenology instances rather than a single instance in baremetal (one VDSM is free, but you would need a licence for more). And some of the users said that it boots faster as you don't need physically turn off the motherboard.

Are you using transcoding feature? Do you need surveillance station?

And the last but not least, never apply changes directly to your production machine. Test it using some dummy HDD you don't care about to see if your target config can satisfy your need.

Hope that helps. Cheers!

Edited by kekesed97
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Vodka2014 said:

I want to setup something more Stable so i am not sure what do so.

I'm not sure what you mean by "More Stable", but enterprise hardware is as stable as anything else you can get.. even if its older.

Also, your needs seem to lean more towards data storage that anything else... so..

If you can save all your data from the DL360 to one of your other builds, it would be good to use the DL360 for Proxmox.

It seems like a waste with all the resources in that server, to only use it for a DS3615xs.

Not sure if you have two quad core processor or two 6 core processors, but you can do so much more with it.

Like @kekesed97 said, " And using VM also enables you to deploy more than one Xpenology instances rather than a single instance in baremetal"

But the final decision would be up to you.

Edited by rojoone2
  • Like 1

Do you want to recommend a stable model?

If DSM 6 was used, DS3615xs or DS3617xs would have been used in DL360 G7.

DS3615xs announced the end of support for newer versions of DSM.

The most recommended model and platform for stability in REDPILL of DSM 7 is DS3622xs+ Broadwellnk.

It seems that hardware resources are wasted too much to use as baremetal.

It looks like you did a good job redirecting with proxmox.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply @kekesed97

I have 2 Baremetal setups right now and as of now i do not use transcoding or surveillance station. 

I am really not sure what.... This is why i posted this :).

I want to setup something that can support Hot Patching / updates as i only have 1 server so if it reboots there goes all my VM's etc....

I have never played with Proxmox so i am not sure if this is an option to VMware. (Need to Google) I see TrueNas as well but this will then replace XPEnlogy which i do not want to do.

Thanks

Just now, Peter Suh said:

Do you want to recommend a stable model?

If DSM 6 was used, DS3615xs or DS3617xs would have been used in DL360 G7.

DS3615xs announced the end of support for newer versions of DSM.

The most recommended model and platform for stability in REDPILL of DSM 7 is DS3622xs+ Broadwellnk.

It seems that hardware resources are wasted too much to use as baremetal.

It looks like you did a good job redirecting with proxmox.

Thanks for the reply @Peter Suh

I do not have proxmox setup at all :) my 2 setups are an cheap Intel and an Small MicroServer. The DL360 G7 i got at an very good deal.

So yes i do not know what i should do.... I want to move to DSM 7.x but all my data is already setup and i cannot really buy new disks right now. 

4 minutes ago, Vodka2014 said:

Thanks for the reply @Peter Suh

I do not have proxmox setup at all :) my 2 setups are an cheap Intel and an Small MicroServer. The DL360 G7 i got at an very good deal.

So yes i do not know what i should do.... I want to move to DSM 7.x but all my data is already setup and i cannot really buy new disks right now. 

If so, bare metal seems to be the only option.

The best guide for building the REDPILL loader with bare metal is below.

Proceed with this guide.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Peter Suh said:

If so, bare metal seems to be the only option.

The best guide for building the REDPILL loader with bare metal is below.

Proceed with this guide.

Thanks BUT if i could move to something else would it be Proxmox and then build out what i need ? 

10 minutes ago, rojoone2 said:

I'm not sure what you mean by "More Stable", but enterprise hardware is as stable as anything else you can get.. even if its older.

Also, your needs seem to lean more towards data storage that anything else... so..

If you can save all your data from the DL360 to one of your other builds, it would be good to use the DL360 for Proxmox.

It seems like a waste with all the resources in that server, to only use it for a DS3615xs.

Not sure if you have two quad core processor or two 6 core processors, but you can do so much more with it.

Like @kekesed97 said, " And using VM also enables you to deploy more than one Xpenology instances rather than a single instance in baremetal"

But the final decision would be up to you.

If i am not mistaken i got 2 x 6 Core X5670

1 minute ago, Peter Suh said:

Now to to play around with all of this and then decide what to migrate.

Thanks again all :)

8 minutes ago, Vodka2014 said:

If i am not mistaken i got 2 x 6 Core X5670

If so, it is 12 core 24 ht core.
It is too resource-consuming to use only with bare metal.
At that level of performance, it is a workstation with excellent performance for rendering or encoding.
I'm also a HP Z600 user, and I have the same specs.
I didn't use it as XPENOLOGY because the specs were a waste.
If there is no transcoding, XPENOLOGY will work well with a Celeron-class CPU.
If you have PROXMOX in mind,
XPENOLOGY does not need to allocate many resources.

• Like 1

Just now, Peter Suh said:

If so, it is 12 core 24 ht core.
It is too resource-consuming to use only with bare metal.
At that level of performance, it is a workstation with excellent performance for rendering or encoding.
I'm also a HP Z600 user, and I have the same specs.
I didn't use it as XPENOLOGY because the specs were a waste.
If there is no transcoding, XPENOLOGY will work well with a Celeron-class CPU.
If you have PROXMOX in mind,
XPENOLOGY does not need to allocate many resources.

So in an nutshell if i install say PROXMOX then XPENLOGY x2 PROD & TEST, Add in an cheap GPU & Maybe an HP/HPE Controller for External storage etc... This should be more then enough and can even run my Windows 10/11 OS on it ?

Learn something new everyday :)

2 minutes ago, Vodka2014 said:

So in an nutshell if i install say PROXMOX then XPENLOGY x2 PROD & TEST, Add in an cheap GPU & Maybe an HP/HPE Controller for External storage etc... This should be more then enough and can even run my Windows 10/11 OS on it ?

Learn something new everyday :)

Your plan seems to be correct. Just run it.

• Like 1