XPEnology Community

TinyCore RedPill Loader Build Support Tool ( M-Shell )

Peter Suh

45 minutes ago, cferra said:

Makes sense - 3622 I was unable to build the array though for some reason - instant error when attempting.  Using 14 10tb SAS disks. 

SA6400 this worked with no issue. 

is SA3600 better for a large build out? Or even something being with testing?

rr seems to have been stabilized for SA3600, but mshell has not yet.
I am not sure about the advantages of SA3600.

21 minutes ago, Peter Suh said:

What is it about? Please tell me the specific link so I can take a look.

https://dortania.github.io/Getting-Started-With-ACPI/Manual/dump.html

https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/278170-dsdt-—-what-is-it-and-how-do-i-get-it/

https://elitemacx86.com/threads/how-to-install-dsdt-ssdt-clover-opencore.31/

https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Install-Guide/

let me know what you think, I’m a bit out of my depth in the development side of things.  

Edited by cferra

2 hours ago, cferra said:

(MacOS DSDT / SSDT)

The Differentiated System Description Table (DSDT) and the Secondary System Description Table (SSDT) are part of the Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) standard. These tables are provided by the ACPI BIOS, which describes and controls the computer's hardware. It contains information needed by the ACPI operating system to manage system resources and hardware.

Differentiated System Description Table (DSDT): DSDT is part of the ACPI standard and primarily provides platform-specific information. It is mainly updated with BIOS updates provided by the motherboard manufacturer.

SSDT (Secondary System Description Table): SSDT is used as a complement to DSDT. It is also an ACPI table, which usually provides additional information regarding system resources. Many SSDTs are created at system boot and are used once the OS boots.

These tables support various functions such as energy management, power management, device configuration, etc. in hardware. Often in macOS you need to modify or customize these tables. Typically, modifications may be made to Hackintosh builds or to address specific hardware compatibility issues.

DSDT and SSDT files are loaded onto the system through the EFI partition or kernel extensions in macOS. Modifying these files requires the use of ACPI-specific tools and scripts. These modifications must be done carefully; incorrect modifications may result in system instability or booting problems.

(The Linux Device Tree)

The Linux Device Tree is a standardized way to describe hardware in the Linux kernel. It is especially used in embedded systems, supporting different hardware configurations and providing information about the platform. Device Tree functions similarly to the existing BIOS and ACPI tables, but describes information about devices in a tree structure rather than a static structure.

A Device Tree is a text file that describes hardware and device information for a specific platform. These text files usually have a .dts or .dtsi file extension. Converted to a .dtb (Device Tree Blob) file compiled using Device Tree Compiler (dtc). This .dtb file is loaded when the Linux kernel boots and defines the configuration of the hardware.

The main advantages of Device Tree are:

1.Hardware abstraction: Device Tree describes specific configurations of hardware, allowing the same Linux kernel to be used on multiple hardware platforms.

2.Dynamic loading: Device Tree can be dynamically loaded by the kernel at runtime. This is useful when adding or removing devices from the system.

3.Separation of source code: Device Tree is provided as an independent file that describes the hardware configuration, so it is separated from the Linux kernel source code.

4.Readability: Device Tree is provided in text format, making it easy for humans to read and understand.

The structure of the Device Tree is as follows:

- Root Node: The highest node of the Device Tree and serves as the parent of lower nodes.
- Device Node: A node that contains information about the device, and child nodes describe the device's properties.
- Property: A key-value pair belonging to a node that represents the characteristics of the device.
Device Tree is primarily used on embedded Linux systems, but can also be used on some desktop systems. It is especially widely used in systems based on ARM architecture.

As far as I know, these two concepts seem unrelated. is not it?

4 minutes ago, cferra said:

I thought you'd stop here, but I guess I'll have to explain again.

MacOS's DCDT/SSDT related to Device-Tree is limited to ACPI. This is beside the point because it is related to power management.

The part we should focus on in Synology Device-Tree is the media device tree, such as disks.

11 hours ago, Peter Suh said:

(MacOS DSDT / SSDT)

The Differentiated System Description Table (DSDT) and the Secondary System Description Table (SSDT) are part of the Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) standard. These tables are provided by the ACPI BIOS, which describes and controls the computer's hardware. It contains information needed by the ACPI operating system to manage system resources and hardware.

Differentiated System Description Table (DSDT): DSDT is part of the ACPI standard and primarily provides platform-specific information. It is mainly updated with BIOS updates provided by the motherboard manufacturer.

SSDT (Secondary System Description Table): SSDT is used as a complement to DSDT. It is also an ACPI table, which usually provides additional information regarding system resources. Many SSDTs are created at system boot and are used once the OS boots.

These tables support various functions such as energy management, power management, device configuration, etc. in hardware. Often in macOS you need to modify or customize these tables. Typically, modifications may be made to Hackintosh builds or to address specific hardware compatibility issues.

DSDT and SSDT files are loaded onto the system through the EFI partition or kernel extensions in macOS. Modifying these files requires the use of ACPI-specific tools and scripts. These modifications must be done carefully; incorrect modifications may result in system instability or booting problems.

(The Linux Device Tree)

The Linux Device Tree is a standardized way to describe hardware in the Linux kernel. It is especially used in embedded systems, supporting different hardware configurations and providing information about the platform. Device Tree functions similarly to the existing BIOS and ACPI tables, but describes information about devices in a tree structure rather than a static structure.

A Device Tree is a text file that describes hardware and device information for a specific platform. These text files usually have a .dts or .dtsi file extension. Converted to a .dtb (Device Tree Blob) file compiled using Device Tree Compiler (dtc). This .dtb file is loaded when the Linux kernel boots and defines the configuration of the hardware.

The main advantages of Device Tree are:

?

Hey Peter, sorry to hijack, i know you hate PM's. but i love your work, use most of your stuff on github.  Up till now ive been using intel for all things xpenology and tcrp friend mshell etc.

I would like to know if there is a webpage that not only shows how many cores/threads each build model is compatible with, but also if it is compatible with AMD.

I would like to now try tcrp friend on AMD like 5900x.

Is AMD Ryzen compatible? If so is it just as stable as Intel? And would there be a build that would allow me to use all 24 cores on B550????

5 hours ago, Captainfingerbang said:

Hey Peter, sorry to hijack, i know you hate PM's. but i love your work, use most of your stuff on github.  Up till now ive been using intel for all things xpenology and tcrp friend mshell etc.

I would like to know if there is a webpage that not only shows how many cores/threads each build model is compatible with, but also if it is compatible with AMD.

I would like to now try tcrp friend on AMD like 5900x.

Is AMD Ryzen compatible? If so is it just as stable as Intel? And would there be a build that would allow me to use all 24 cores on B550????

There is no model or platform you have to give up just because you use AMD Ryzen.

You can think of Redpill as being developed cross-platform.

However, with Ryzen, you only need to remember a few limitations.

1. Since it is not an Intel iGPU, transcoding is not possible.

2. If you need to use VMM, select one of the models that use the v1000, r1000, or epyc7002 platforms.

1 hour ago, Peter Suh said:

There is no model or platform you have to give up just because you use AMD Ryzen.

You can think of Redpill as being developed cross-platform.

However, with Ryzen, you only need to remember a few limitations.

1. Since it is not an Intel iGPU, transcoding is not possible.

2. If you need to use VMM, select one of the models that use the v1000, r1000, or epyc7002 platforms.

Thank you Peter.

Ok, So regardless of Whether i have amd or intel it does not matter which Diskstation i choose.  I guess i didnt understand why all the chipsets are always listed everywhere like apollolake, breverton etc.   I thought Amd only can use amd and intel can only use intel diskstation loader type.

Question #1

I would like to swap my current Hardware:

• Xeon/X99/DS918+  10 SSD's in SHR1

TO:

• AMD 5900x + AMD B550 with DS918+  (including using nvme as storage and including up to 12 sata drives, and including x540-t2 10gbe nic, AND using ALL 24 threads)

Do you see a reason why this specific move would not work with AMD + DS918+? (Compatibility reasons) I already noticed my current intel DS918+ setup only does Software transcode, so i'm not worried to lose HW trancode, as i dont have it.

Question #2   I have bad memory, but i thought in past, i just directly installed latest .img of your TCRP "Friend", but dont see img for that. So is installing via your M-SHELL tool going to get me the latest TCRP "Friend"  when installing from M-SHELL? i like the Friend one best.

Question #3  I know you work sometimes with  007revad. I will be needing to use his Synology_HDD_db script to run at every boot. Will this be a problem after migrating?

Question #4  I do not use VMM.  But it is a MUST that i use Synology Container Manager for a much needed container i use everyday. Is the container manager also reliant upon needing to use v1000, r1000, or epyc7002 platforms?? 

Thank you.

Edited by Captainfingerbang

6 hours ago, Captainfingerbang said:

Thank you Peter.

Ok, So regardless of Whether i have amd or intel it does not matter which Diskstation i choose.  I guess i didnt understand why all the chipsets are always listed everywhere like apollolake, breverton etc.   I thought Amd only can use amd and intel can only use intel diskstation loader type.

Question #1

I would like to swap my current Hardware:

• Xeon/X99/DS918+  10 SSD's in SHR1

TO:

• AMD 5900x + AMD B550 with DS918+  (including using nvme as storage and including up to 12 sata drives, and including x540-t2 10gbe nic, AND using ALL 24 threads)

Do you see a reason why this specific move would not work with AMD + DS918+? (Compatibility reasons) I already noticed my current intel DS918+ setup only does Software transcode, so i'm not worried to lose HW trancode, as i dont have it.

Question #2   I have bad memory, but i thought in past, i just directly installed latest .img of your TCRP "Friend", but dont see img for that. So is installing via your M-SHELL tool going to get me the latest TCRP "Friend"  when installing from M-SHELL? i like the Friend one best.

Question #3  I know you work sometimes with  007revad. I will be needing to use his Synology_HDD_db script to run at every boot. Will this be a problem after migrating?

Question #4  I do not use VMM.  But it is a MUST that i use Synology Container Manager for a much needed container i use everyday. Is the container manager also reliant upon needing to use v1000, r1000, or epyc7002 platforms?? 

Thank you.

Question #1
-> If it doesn't work on DS918+, it seems that the NIC is not responding in the first place.

Question #2
  -> Even if you do not necessarily use the latest version .img, the latest Friend kernel is always automatically updated to the latest version.

Question #3
-> I have not been able to check the Synology_HDD_db script that was recently changed by 007revad. We encourage you to continue using it as you do now.

Question #4
-> Container manager was called Docker in the past. Docker is supported on all platforms. If there are Docker issues that arise from migration between models, I don't know exactly.

thank you

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Peter Suh said:

Question #1
-> If it doesn't work on DS918+, it seems that the NIC is not responding in the first place.

Question #2
  -> Even if you do not necessarily use the latest version .img, the latest Friend kernel is always automatically updated to the latest version.

Question #3
-> I have not been able to check the Synology_HDD_db script that was recently changed by 007revad. We encourage you to continue using it as you do now.

Question #4
-> Container manager was called Docker in the past. Docker is supported on all platforms. If there are Docker issues that arise from migration between models, I don't know exactly.

thank you

Its been a long time since i have looked into this and i know the rules.

But is real serial/mac still required to use quickconnect? 

I ask this STRICTLY for testing purposes.  Are there loaders or things that make it possible to TEST QC on XPEN,Tinycore etc.???? TEST ONLY

2 часа назад, Captainfingerbang сказал:

Its been a long time since i have looked into this and i know the rules.

But is real serial/mac still required to use quickconnect? 

I ask this STRICTLY for testing purposes.  Are there loaders or things that make it possible to TEST QC on XPEN,Tinycore etc.???? TEST ONLY

test only ==> Arc Loader with Arc Patch

12 hours ago, dj_nsk said:

I understand that Arc loader provides various crack tools for violating the license that can irritate Synology.

This is a sensitive matter.

@dj_nsk, @Captainfingerbang  I hope you two will no longer mention ARC's license violations in this topic.

I do not agree with ARC's violations.

Please inquire in the ARC section.

23 hours ago, Peter Suh said:

Question #1

Question #2

Question #3

Question #4

thank you

Thanks a bunch Peter.

I got everything setup on the AMD system you have me the confidence!

Everything is PERFECT! 

With one exception. Im getting AME Codec errors now.

1 of 2 MAIN things i use Synology for, the #1 most important is my families Photo management, AND my boss at work absolutely MUST HAVE this working for work, now using Synology Photos.

This new test machine is not using my REAL serial and mac and cannot right now but later possibly.

So i Pray to the Linux gods (Peter, etc) they can help me with the issue with Advanced Media Extensions in attached images.

I simply need this machine to create thumbnails for videos, and it wont because of no serial mac. Causing repeated errors as im sure you are all familiar. I do have 2 Paid Serial/macs from SYnology, but those can not be used for this testing.

So for testing i need to use tools like these to make Synology think its real serial/mac since now the AME is attached to serial mac.

Bottom line i tried one or both of these tools, but may have done it wrong, still errors or tools wrong NOT TCRP Friend.

I'm using latest TCRP Friend by Peter Suh (AND I WILL STAY USING PETERS LOADERS) on AMD platform (1st time for AMD)  5900x b550 DSM 7.2.1-69057 Update 4 with DS2422+

TO SKIP MY LONG EXPLAINATION JUST START READING FROM HERE:

These are tools, cracks ( for me only temporary) for XPEnology and Synology without needing or using AME's license.

https://github.com/wirgen/synocodectool-patch?tab=readme-ov-file

https://github.com/darknebular/Wrapper_VideoStation

Which of these tools is best solution  to solve this? Or maybe is there  a newer or better method please share, i just need to solve this while i test other parts. I also need to find out the proper format for DS2422+'s  Serial Number is.  Like (e.g. XXXXPDNXXXXXX for DS918+, XXXXODNXXXXXX for DS3617xs, XXXXLWNXXXXXX for 3615xs)

Thank you for your past comments peter and folks, and please help soon!

image.thumb.png.ccf4b5872481cb87648713f2cd25e80e.pngimage.png.aa76e9f856dde92959ea0218f63dd2b3.png

9 minutes ago, Captainfingerbang said:

Thanks a bunch Peter.

I got everything setup on the AMD system you have me the confidence!

Everything is PERFECT! 

With one exception. Im getting AME Codec errors now.

1 of 2 MAIN things i use Synology for, the #1 most important is my families Photo management, AND my boss at work absolutely MUST HAVE this working for work, now using Synology Photos.

This new test machine is not using my REAL serial and mac and cannot right now but later possibly.

So i Pray to the Linux gods (Peter, etc) they can help me with the issue with Advanced Media Extensions in attached images.

I simply need this machine to create thumbnails for videos, but it is not because of no serial mac. Causing repeated errors as im sure you are all familiar.

So for testing i need to use tools like these to make Synology think its real serial/mac since now the AME is attached to serial mac.

Bottom line i tried one or both of these tools, but may have done it wrong, still errors or tools wrong NOT TCRP Friend.

I'm using latest TCRP Friend by Peter Suh on AMD platform (1st time for AMD)  5900x b550 DSM 7.2.1-69057 Update 4 with DS2422+

https://github.com/wirgen/synocodectool-patch?tab=readme-ov-file

https://github.com/darknebular/Wrapper_VideoStation

Which of these tools is best solution  to solve this? Or maybe is there  a newer or better method please share, i just need to solve this while i test other parts.

Thank you for your past comments peter and folks, and please help soon!

image.thumb.png.ccf4b5872481cb87648713f2cd25e80e.pngimage.png.aa76e9f856dde92959ea0218f63dd2b3.png

You don't seem to have looked at my answer carefully.
Transcoding from bare metal to AMD iGPU is not possible.
This includes transcoding all media.

It's not just that video transcoding like plex is impossible.
Photo transcoding that works with i915.ko is also included here.
AMD clearly has some things to give up.
Think again.

In the server forum in Korea where I work, for AMD transcoding,
I recommend proxmox + lxc solutions.
lxc says that AMD iGPU can also be used for transcoding.
I also have no actual installation experience.

Some users are only providing information about the possibility as shown below.
If translation is possible, please refer to the search results below.

https://svrforum.com/index.php?mid=nas&act=IS&search_target=title_content&is_keyword=AMD+lxc

7 minutes ago, Peter Suh said:

You don't seem to have looked at my answer carefully.
Transcoding from bare metal to AMD iGPU is not possible.
This includes transcoding all media.

It's not just that video transcoding like plex is impossible.
Photo transcoding that works with i915.ko is also included here.
AMD clearly has some things to give up.
Think again.

In the server forum in Korea where I work, for AMD transcoding,
I recommend proxmox + lxc solutions.
lxc says that AMD iGPU can also be used for transcoding.
I also have no actual installation experience.

Some users are only providing information about the possibility as shown below.
If translation is possible, please refer to the search results below.

https://svrforum.com/index.php?mid=nas&act=IS&search_target=title_content&is_keyword=AMD+lxc

Yes, i dont know if you realize, but i have ZERO IGPU. 5900x has no IGPU it would have to do with software. Which i know software can do this transcode because i have an Intel machine with no IGPU, XEON, and it software transcodes the files for video thumbnails only. Or maybe it USED TO until i updated yesterday?  Oh no, i hop its not bad news.

Ok well, though defeated, while i am here asking for help,  does anyone have any ideas in their heads on how i can get the serial # format of DS2422+?

28 minutes ago, Captainfingerbang said:

Yes, i dont know if you realize, but i have ZERO IGPU. 5900x has no IGPU it would have to do with software. Which i know software can do this transcode because i have an Intel machine with no IGPU, XEON, and it software transcodes the files for video thumbnails only. Or maybe it USED TO until i updated yesterday?  Oh no, i hop its not bad news.

Ok well, though defeated, while i am here asking for help,  does anyone have any ideas in their heads on how i can get the serial # format of DS2422+?

I'm sorry. Even though I knew that the 5900X was a model without an iGPU, I overlooked it.
If you decide to migrate to a model other than DS918+, I recommend trying SA6400 instead of DS2422+.
If you have an Intel iGPU in the original SA6400, H/W transcoding is easily handled.
There is no need to install AME, nor does it require a genuine Serial or Mac. Codec patches are also unnecessary.
However, I am also curious about how the SA6400 operates without an iGPU.
If H/W transcoding is not possible, at least S/W transcoding should work.
I also have Works that can be run with only a Xeon CPU without an iGPU.
I will tell you the results of testing how the SA6400 works.

1 hour ago, Captainfingerbang said:

As a result of the test, it was confirmed that the video thumbnail in the photo requires an AME with a SA6400 license.
With these results, it can be said that there is no difference between SA6400 and DS2422+ for this purpose only.

And one tip: if you have at least one genuine Sn/Mac, QC will be maintained even if you change the model.

I don't know if I'm lucky, but I haven't been banned yet.

2024-02-1312_06_39.thumb.png.83d990613b83ad86df9612dca5f2441c.png

2024-02-1312_06_50.thumb.png.a0600e7df568046703b1f4b9eeeee4f8.png

Edited by Peter Suh

44 minutes ago, Peter Suh said:

As a result of the test, it was confirmed that the video thumbnail in the photo requires an AME with a SA6400 license.
With these results, it can be said that there is no difference between SA6400 and DS2422+ for this purpose only.

And one tip: if you have at least one genuine Sn/Mac, QC will be maintained even if you change the model.

I don't know if I'm lucky, but I haven't been banned yet.

2024-02-1312_06_39.thumb.png.83d990613b83ad86df9612dca5f2441c.png

2024-02-1312_06_50.thumb.png.a0600e7df568046703b1f4b9eeeee4f8.png

Wait,Wait,Wait,WaitWait,WaitWait,WaitWait,WaitWait,WaitWait,WaitWait,WaitWait,Wait

You must be joking.... What does this entail? THIS IS AMAZING? But how to go about using ds918+ Serial/MAC on something else like dva3221? This is crazy?

This begs one question ONLY from curiousity, could one use 1 set serial/mac on 2 different machines at same time? And Keep QC?

More importantly, is SA6400 so much better than others? I have never heard of this. Is it great? I will trust you and do it if you say it the best.

You mention SA6400 and IGPU in prior post, but i hope you remember i dont have igpu so i hope this works my friend!

15 hours ago, dj_nsk said:

Just doing my due diligence here out of curiousity. I Can see an Arc loader here. https://github.com/AuxXxilium/arc/releases/tag/24.2.10

and i see a LIST of patches here: https://github.com/AuxXxilium/arc-patches

But i dont see an "Arc Loader with Arc Patch" any where. could you please point me to the patch portion or is it included? I'm a lil lost