Incorrect bay count, LAN not working.... Need help polishing this off


Recommended Posts

Hey all

Finished my build and got it mostly up and going. Just need some help with polishing a couple items off.

Running Jun's 1.4 loader, DSM 6.2-23739
ASRock Rack C247 WSI, i3-9100, 8 bay case

Noticed some things

1. One of the lan ports doesn't work. Can't enable link aggregation as a result. Not sure how to get this going.

2. DSM shows I have 16 bays in here. That ain't right. How do I fix it?

3. I found a bad sata cable that was giving me disk reconnect errors. That has since been replaced and all is well, but the reconnect count is still there. How can I reset it to zero? I found another thread about editing /var/log/disk_overview.xml but I don't much know what that means. Where is it, how do I get to it? Take the thumb drive out and plug it into my computer? Or is this done through the NAS?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SnowDrifter said:

Running Jun's 1.4 loader, DSM 6.2-23739

why not 6.2.3
 

1 hour ago, SnowDrifter said:

1. One of the lan ports doesn't work. Can't enable link aggregation as a result. Not sure how to get this going.

did you use a set of extended/newer drivers? the i219 might need a newer driver then the one from 6.2.0

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/28321-driver-extension-jun-103b104b-for-dsm623-for-918-3615xs-3617xs/

1 hour ago, SnowDrifter said:

2. DSM shows I have 16 bays in here. That ain't right. How do I fix it?

yes, thats predefined in the loader as patch making sure you get repatched when updating dsm

 

1 hour ago, SnowDrifter said:

but I don't much know what that means. Where is it, how do I get to it?

you should learn some linux basics or you will be in deep trouble when things doe not go as intended, dsm might look flashy and easy to use but thats not true for xpenology as its a hacked appliance and sometimes it does not behave like a original dsm system

 

Quote

Take the thumb drive out and plug it into my computer?

 

no

 

Quote

Or is this done through the NAS?

 

more like this, but the patch was already precisely pointed out with /var/log/disk_overview.xml (if thats the right file)

with linux there is no drive letter, its "THE" disk or "root" file system and everything is in it so "/" is the start like "C:\" ...

maybe plan one or two weekends to get the basics., there are plenty of websites and youtube videos

 

afair the reconnet counter is a s.m.a.r.t. value of the disk, so its not just rewriting a file, you would need to reset it on the disk

look for "udma_crc_error_count"

 

 

Edited by IG-88
Link to post
Share on other sites

6.2.3 wouldn't install for me. Kept getting error 13. Found that 6.2.2 went off without a hitch though.

I did not. Will give the thread on drivers a read

So leave the 16 bay thing alone?

I don't even know where to begin on reading how to fix the count thing w/ linux. Little guidance here would be appreciated

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SnowDrifter said:

6.2.3 wouldn't install for me. Kept getting error 13. Found that 6.2.2 went off without a hitch though.

I did not. Will give the thread on drivers a read

So leave the 16 bay thing alone?

I don't even know where to begin on reading how to fix the count thing w/ linux. Little guidance here would be appreciated

 

Error 13 or error 21?  Try this: https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/28183-running-623-on-esxi-synoboot-is-broken-fix-available/

 

You don't want to change the bay count - leave it alone.

 

Disk reconnect as you surmised is an indicator of a bad SATA cable or connector.  You fixed it.  Are they increasing?  If not, don't worry about it.  It does not indicate a failure mode on your drive and it is not a SMART failure trigger - your manufacturer won't RMA because of it.

 

You cannot clear it however, the CRC error event is recorded in the SMART status of your disk.  If DSM flags the drive as failed independent of the SMART status, then that's something to edit and fix, although in 6.2.x it's in a database and a real pain to get to.  Bottom line, don't worry about it if it is not increasing.

 

Edited by flyride
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, flyride said:

 

Error 13 or error 21?  Try this: https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/28183-running-623-on-esxi-synoboot-is-broken-fix-available/

 

You don't want to change the bay count - leave it alone.

 

Disk reconnect as you surmised is an indicator of a bad SATA cable or connector.  You fixed it.  Are they increasing?  If not, don't worry about it.  It does not indicate a failure mode on your drive and it is not a SMART failure trigger - your manufacturer won't RMA because of it.

 

You cannot clear it however, the CRC error event is recorded in the SMART status of your disk.  If DSM flags the drive as failed independent of the SMART status, then that's something to edit and fix, although in 6.2.x it's in a database and a real pain to get to.  Bottom line, don't worry about it if it is not increasing.

 

Error 13. Went down the rabbit hole of trying different thumb drives and verifying device IDs. Never could  get it resolved.

Will do on the bay count

They are not increasing. Was just hoping to set it to 0 so it's easy to tell at a glance if anything's on the uptick instead of making a note of the last-seen number.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.