• 0

Newest DSM 6.2.3 says that file may be corrupted when trying to install in an Unraid VM


Question

I managed to successfully install the newest version on VMware, but I need it on unraid for it to run 24/7. However, when trying to install it gives me an error that the file may be corrupted. I used this tutorial for the VM settings: 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

13 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0
1 minute ago, flyride said:

Be sure you don't forget to adjust the grub boot for ESXi unless you have an actual USB loader that you connect to your VM.

I did that, it's set to boot ESXi, but unraid is using QEMU for VMs, is that a problem?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
5 minutes ago, IG-88 said:

i did read that but when using usb as boot media then you need to match that

I added this to the USB img file (the PID and VID are not the ones I used btw, I copied those from the grub file)
 

<source >
	<vendor id='0x08bb'/>
	<product id='0x2704'/>
</source>

 

Edited by risino15
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Two threads on each side of the same problem.  To summarize, when you are running a VM:

  1. If you use a .img boot loader mounted to a virtual disk, you need to select the ESXi option on grub boot
  2. If you use a USB boot loader (either physical stick passed through to the VM, or emulated USB image), you need to adjust VID/PID in the loader, and select baremetal on grub boot
Edited by flyride
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
2 minutes ago, flyride said:

Two threads on each side of the same problem.  To summarize, when you are running a VM:

  1. If you use a .img boot loader mounted to a virtual disk, you need to select the ESXi option on grub boot
  2. If you use a USB boot loader (either physical stick passed through to the VM, or emulated USB image), you need to adjust VID/PID in the loader, and select baremetal on grub boot

Ooh, I see where I made the problem, thank you! I will try these methods tomorrow.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
29 minutes ago, risino15 said:

I added this to the USB img file (the PID and VID are not the ones I used btw, I copied those from the grub file)

 

i'm not sure i understand it correctly but your vid/pid in VM config (usb boot image device) and in grub.cfg in the loader image you use, need to be the same

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Just now, IG-88 said:

 

i'm not sure i understand it correctly but your vid/pid in VM config (usb boot image device) and in grub.cfg in the loader image you use, need to be the same

I used the same PID and VID, but I just copied that part of the config from a forum post for this example

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
12 hours ago, IG-88 said:

there might be more than one thread

this look like its done the other way as disk (esxi style), maybe try this

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/19925-9th-gen-intel-cpu/?do=findComment&comment=119001

 

I have tried booting baremetal (USB) and ESXi (SATA) but none of them worked. I don't know how to set the VID and PID in Unraid for the USB device though.. I cannot find any way anywhere

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
1 hour ago, risino15 said:

I have tried booting baremetal (USB) and ESXi (SATA) but none of them worked. I don't know how to set the VID and PID in Unraid for the USB device though.. I cannot find any way anywhere

i thought the link i gave above was not using usb as boot media

and i also had the impression you had found a unraid thread here using usb and followed it because of

19 hours ago, risino15 said:

I used this tutorial for the VM settings: 

 

15 hours ago, risino15 said:

but I just copied that part of the config from a forum post for this example

 

if you implement the boot process as usb device either bei a virtual usb device or e real usb device handed down to the VM  (as its used in a baremetal scenario) then you need to care for the usb vid/pid and match the one in grub.cfg to the one that the "device" is using (virtual or physical)

if you use a sata device as boot media in the VM then you dont have to care for the vid/pid but you will need to be using the 3. option in the grub selection like its done when using xpenology on esxi (afair on esxi its suggested to use a extra virtual controller for boot media and give the the other disks a other sata controller in the VM)

so it depends on how you implement your boot device in the VM

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.