XPEnology Community

Serial port (COM1) - stages of operation.

allex

Question

Please explain to knowledgeable people at what stage data output to the serial port begins.

When loading the 1.03b loader (for DS3617xs or for DS3615xs), it comes to the standard screen about successful loading. The flash drive flashes a little more and everything stops there. No data is output to the serial port. Not a single letter. I'm wondering if the bootloader doesn't find the network card, should it output to the serial port? Or, if there are problems with the network, no data will be output? I tried different options, including different boot loaders and BIOS settings - I couldn't see anything on the serial port. 

You may think that it doesn't work for me, but it doesn't, because on the 1.04b bootloader for DS918+, all data is output correctly to the serial port. I see all the messages when loading.

I'm not asking about my specific problem right now, I'm asking you to explain under what conditions output to the serial port is not possible.

Does the serial port settings in grub.cfg affect this? I noticed that the serial port parameters for 1.04b and 1.03b are different. Could this be a problem?

Why do I need this? I want to see the reason why I can't run DS3617xs or for DS3615xs.

There is one point: my motherboard does not have a built-in serial port, so I use an external PCI-E serial port controller, however, I am not sure that this could be a problem.

Edited by allex

On 7/19/2022 at 1:59 PM, IG-88 said:

the way we talked about to use wch382l with the loader was as pcie card, the other end does not matter how the serial connection is done (the part where the terminal program is running), imho you will not succeed with any usb adapter because there usb stack is not running at this point (syno's kernel loaded without any additional modules), the way you could do that is a m.2 nvme to pcie adapter with a pcie card (or a m.2 nvme card with serial port - if such a thing exists) but i guess in most cases people will use a m.2 nvme (pcie 4x) to pcie as a extension for more sata ports or to even get sata ports (as with my test notebook that did not have sata ports, just nvme)

we need to use whats livable in syno's dsm kernel for the serial connection for now, i don't know if there is any way to do anything additional using the rp kernel module to inject code that would add anything useful here, thats kind of a brainteaser for the people adapt in kernel hacking

Can I remove the wifi card, use a mini pcie to pcie , and then use a pcie board?

pc<->1<->2<->3

3 is a SER6427A, Because it does not require a power supply

IMG_20220720_160919.jpg

IMG_20220720_160945.jpg

IMG_20220720_161009.jpg

VM XPE supports virtual serial port, so you can easily debug logs.

I've heard that on baremetal there is no way to check unless you connect a cable to the physical serial port.

So, the problem that has been frustrating for so long has now been solved.

Since there are almost no COM1 / COM2 serial ports on the new main board unless it is an industrial / server board.

You have no choice but to use a USB-SERIAL converter cable.

1. In my case, the client responsible for monitoring used my main PC, Hackintosh Mac.
Since Mac PC does not have a COM port, I used the USB-RS232C SERIAL converter cable mentioned above for the USB port.

2022-08-27-12-15-19.png
2. My main XPE (ASUS IOT H310i-IM-A R2.0) and ASROCK server board for testing directly used the COM port.
A SERIAL F/F (female-female) cross cable was used for the Xpenology COM port.

2022-08-27-12-15-40.png

You must connect the male and female terminals of the two cables to each other.

Mac is a custom LINUX-based OS, so it is recognized immediately by simply giving the screen command in the terminal as shown below.

screen /dev/tty.usbserial-1460 115200

In DSM boot state

Once connected, login is attempted through the SERIAL cable without the need for SSH or TELNET settings.

You can also check the Junior log screen.

And the case where this serial cable monitoring can be utilized is

It can be very usefully used to find out the cause when the network card is not given an IP and is not responding.

And, another convenience is Henology's GNU Grub menu.

Another feature is that it can be selected remotely through a terminal without attaching a monitor or keyboard.

Edited by Peter Suh

On 8/26/2022 at 11:21 PM, Peter Suh said:

VM XPE supports virtual serial port, so you can easily debug logs.

I've heard that on baremetal there is no way to check unless you connect a cable to the physical serial port.

So, the problem that has been frustrating for so long has now been solved.

Since there are almost no COM1 / COM2 serial ports on the new main board unless it is an industrial / server board.

You have no choice but to use a USB-SERIAL converter cable.

1. In my case, the client responsible for monitoring used my main PC, Hackintosh Mac.
Since Mac PC does not have a COM port, I used the USB-RS232C SERIAL converter cable mentioned above for the USB port.

2022-08-27-12-15-19.png
2. My main XPE (ASUS IOT H310i-IM-A R2.0) and ASROCK server board for testing directly used the COM port.
A SERIAL F/F (female-female) cross cable was used for the Xpenology COM port.

2022-08-27-12-15-40.png

You must connect the male and female terminals of the two cables to each other.

Mac is a custom LINUX-based OS, so it is recognized immediately by simply giving the screen command in the terminal as shown below.

screen /dev/tty.usbserial-1460 115200

In DSM boot state

Once connected, login is attempted through the SERIAL cable without the need for SSH or TELNET settings.

You can also check the Junior log screen.

And the case where this serial cable monitoring can be utilized is

It can be very usefully used to find out the cause when the network card is not given an IP and is not responding.

And, another convenience is Henology's GNU Grub menu.

Another feature is that it can be selected remotely through a terminal without attaching a monitor or keyboard.

Thanks, I have in fact gotten the logs with the above device, removed the NIC, transferred the pci, plugged in the pci serial card, plugged in the serial-usb cable, mac installed the serial software and now the logs appear. A little tough, but 3622xsp, version 7.1 does get the logs, but in the 918 model is no logs, and I don't really know why. But I have installed successfully haha, it's too hard.

5 minutes ago, ldada said:

Thanks, I have in fact gotten the logs with the above device, removed the NIC, transferred the pci, plugged in the pci serial card, plugged in the serial-usb cable, mac installed the serial software and now the logs appear. A little tough, but 3622xsp, version 7.1 does get the logs, but in the 918 model is no logs, and I don't really know why. But I have installed successfully haha, it's too hard.

I've never tried a serial port log on a DS918+, so I'm curious.
And there was no need to install any software on MacOS.
/dev/tty.usbserial was immediately available.
However, since it was impossible to capture the log in the terminal, I additionally installed minicom through brew .

15 minutes ago, Peter Suh said:

I've never tried a serial port log on a DS918+, so I'm curious.
And there was no need to install any software on MacOS.
/dev/tty.usbserial was immediately available.
However, since it was impossible to capture the log in the terminal, I additionally installed minicom through brew .

That does seem odd. 918 has no logs, maybe removing the driver for my serial card? Yes I just installed a serial port gui tool. And I want to be clear that my machine can't install the 918 because it can't search the ip. but the 3622xsp is fine.

16 minutes ago, ldada said:

That does seem odd. 918 has no logs, maybe removing the driver for my serial card? Yes I just installed a serial port gui tool. And I want to be clear that my machine can't install the 918 because it can't search the ip. but the 3622xsp is fine.

Did you know that we need serial logs in case the IP cannot be retrieved?
You may need Mac software for the serial PCI card, but in my case the XPENOLOGY PC uses the onboard serial port and the Mac uses the USB port.

I'll try the DS918+ when I get home.

24 minutes ago, Peter Suh said:

Did you know that we need serial logs in case the IP cannot be retrieved?
You may need Mac software for the serial PCI card, but in my case the XPENOLOGY PC uses the onboard serial port and the Mac uses the USB port.

I'll try the DS918+ when I get home.

1 Yes I know, because I can't get the 918+ ip before I bought the adapter device in order to get the logs.
2 pci serial card is not directly linked to the mac, because there usb serial adapter cable, of course usb serial cable have been driven, otherwise 3622xsp will not have logs displayed in the mac.
3 and I have tested the pci serial card on a desktop computer installed 918 +, also did not get logs. I seem to have tested it in pve and also did not get logs.

17 minutes ago, ldada said:

1 Yes I know, because I can't get the 918+ ip before I bought the adapter device in order to get the logs.
2 pci serial card is not directly linked to the mac, because there usb serial adapter cable, of course usb serial cable have been driven, otherwise 3622xsp will not have logs displayed in the mac.
3 and I have tested the pci serial card on a desktop computer installed 918 +, also did not get logs. I seem to have tested it in pve and also did not get logs.

If so, did the DS3622xs+ also check the log through the PCI serial card?