boefje

Hardware upgrade and migrating VMWare to Proxmox

Question

I'm thinking about upgrading my hardware and moving from VMware to Proxmox. It'll be a good exercise which I'll probably am going to regret when I'm half way the upgrade :-)

I'm looking for some help in the migration steps;

Current setup:

Hardware: i3 6100 8Gb   250Gb SSD + 4x3TB + 3x5TB+2x8TB

VMWare ESXi 6.7.0

XpenologyA: Jun's Loader v1.04b - DS918 RDM 4x3TB - Photos, backups and document storage (The important stuff)

XpenologyB: Jun's Loader v1.04b - DS918 RDM 3x5TB + 2x8TB - Home media server (The not so important stuff)

XpenologyC: Jun's Loader v1.04b - DS918 No disks, upgrade/test purposes.

I'd like to move to a Ryzen 7 1700 with the Asus Prime X370-PRO with 16Gb running ProxMox

Installing Proxmox and Xpenology should not be a big problem. However, how am I going to migrate my data to the new installation without having to buy a sh*tload of drives?

I know DSM allows you to migrate a set drives from one server to another. But, how does this work/apply (if at all) when you have a virtualized instance RDM and you want to change from VMWare to Proxmox?

3 answers to this question

I skipped the proxmox installation.

changed the mother board with CPU, reconnected my drives and spun up the computer. It ESXi started without any problems.

The question(s) in this topic have been answered and/or the topic author has resolved their issue. This topic is now closed. If you have other questions, please open a new topic.