MooseMan123

Best USB 3.0 PCIe card?

Question

I have DSM running in ESXi, so it has no available USB 3.0 ports. I am looking to purchase the most compatible USB 3.0 card so I can pass it through to the VM

I searched the forums, however there wasn't too much info out there. Has anyone got any recommendations for the most generic chipset USB 3.0 card that should be supported for the foreseeable future? 

6 answers to this question

You can't pass through a USB port.  You can pass through a device attached to a USB 3.0 port.  It won't show up as available for passthrough until it is attached.

Just now, flyride said:

You can't pass through a USB port.  You can pass through a device attached to a USB 3.0 port.  It won't show up as available for passthrough until it is attached.

I will be passing through the entire card

Well you can do that.  But seems like a waste if you already have ports available.  I have never heard of anyone needing to do this and the native DSM drivers are undoubtedly all for Intel chipset USB, so you may not get any useful advice for a working card for passthrough.

Just now, flyride said:

Well you can do that.  But seems like a waste if you already have ports available.  I have never heard of anyone needing to do this and the native DSM drivers are undoubtedly all for Intel chipset USB, so you may not get any useful advice for a working card for passthrough.

I don't have any USB 3.0 ports on this board, so sadly I can't just throw that controller into DSM. Its an X9 Dual 2011 Supermicro board, I think I am just 1 generation behind USB 3.0 implementation

I have a metric butt-load of PCI-e slots though, so its no problem to throw a card in there. The passthrough with ESXi doesn't really matter, anything will work for that, its purely if its supported in DSM. I know quite a few people have added USB 3.0 PCIe cards, but there isn't much detail out there on brands/chipsets etc

It looks like compatibility is pretty wide. Synology are using many different chipsets for USB 3.0

The NEC/Renesas seems to be the most popular. I was able to get a Dell ECS U3N2-D Card for $7 used locally, and it works fine

• Like 1