XPEnology Community

Change MAC address and serial in Jun's loader on 6.2

somehow, i was able to create a usb drive using jun's loader and playing around with it, i saw where to change the mac address and serial number, etc.  i am using DS3615xs.  there were 3 partitions in the usb drive, 2 of them were viewable in windows.    since then, i recreated the usb drive, but now only 2 partitions show up in windows.  the 3rd is missing and has no drive letter in windows.  the only viewable partition has only 3 files.    

extra.lzma

rd.gz

zImage

how do i get the other one to show up to edit the config?

Posted (edited)

afair its about how the partitions are set up initially in the img file used to prep the usb drive

the partiton itself should already have a drive letter

try to start your editor (notepad++ should be ok for linux based files and windows default editor is not suggested) with elevated right like right click on the shortcut (or exe) and choose "run as administrator"

if you then go to "open file" and choose the drive letter in question you should now be able to access the config file

jun's loader and dsm 6.2 are outdated and kind of hard(er) to use then recent loaders for dsm 7.x

i would highly recommend to check out arc loader (www.auxxxilium.tech) or tcrpfriend loader (https://github.com/PeterSuh-Q3/tcrpfriend)

both are menu based and easy to use, you might also check for youtube content to get  some more guidance if needed

Edited by IG-88
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

thank you so much for telling me about auxxxilium.  i had all but given up on tcrp.  it was so hit and miss on older hardware that i had to recreate so many usb drives.  and even when it did finally boot dsm, it would never install detect the drives or fail to install dsm.   almost nowhere in the forums were there much mention of arc loader or tcrpfriend, much less a tutorial.

i just have one last question if you or anyone could answer.   is AHCI a must for any DSM configuration?  i have several really old pcs like dell optiplex 380 or 390 that only have ATA as an option.  no AHCI or RAID.  those pcs just will not find any drives when booted into DSM.   are those just SOL?  i've tried DS3622xs, DS3615 and DS3617 but no luck

Edited by tle2099
missed some things.

7 hours ago, tle2099 said:

thank you so much for telling me about auxxxilium.  i had all but given up on tcrp.  it was so hit and miss on older hardware that i had to recreate so many usb drives.  and even when it did finally boot dsm, it would never install detect the drives or fail to install dsm.   almost nowhere in the forums were there much mention of arc loader or tcrpfriend, much less a tutorial.

i just have one last question if you or anyone could answer.   is AHCI a must for any DSM configuration?  i have several really old pcs like dell optiplex 380 or 390 that only have ATA as an option.  no AHCI or RAID.  those pcs just will not find any drives when booted into DSM.   are those just SOL?  i've tried DS3622xs, DS3615 and DS3617 but no luck

I tried to build a NAS using a 390 with no success using the onboard SATA ports. So I disabled the onboard ports and installed a HBA card. It has worked flawlessly ever since! If you search the community, you will find others that have had success doing the same thing.

Before you spend money on a card for a system that old, I suggest you put the money  into a newer motherboard instead.

On 5/9/2024 at 4:03 PM, tle2099 said:

is AHCI a must for any DSM configuration?  i have several really old pcs like dell optiplex 380 or 390 that only have ATA as an option.  no AHCI or RAID.  those pcs just will not find any drives when booted into DSM.   are those just SOL?  i've tried DS3622xs, DS3615 and DS3617 but no luck

you can take what its written in the arc wiki

The DSM kernel is only compatible with SATA Controller, not HBA/Raid/etc. For Device-Tree Models (DT) SATA Controller are working, HBA/Raid Controller are in experimental Stage. For nonDT Models, other Type of Controller (like HBA/Raid/SCSI Controller) may work.

there are driver for the older ata mode satra stuff, might work but only on non DT (devicetree) models like 3615/17

most simple und universal solution is to disable onboard old piix ata stuff if its nor working as ahci and add ahci sata cards, most only use two pcie lanes and if its just pcie 2.0 then it can limit the possible performance it there are to many drives on these two lanes (pcie 2.0 = 500 MByte/s per pcie lane, good old hdd's can't do much above 250MByte/s except where the tiny hdd cache is in use), ahci controllers are more universal as they are supported in all synology kernels where hba's are limited to some models

if there are enough pcie slots the ahci cards (2,4,5,6 ports) are a good option

asm1166 can be a problem as they present 32 ports to the system and only have 6 ports, can get messy with the numbering of drives (but afaik will work anyway)

i prefer(ed) jmb585 based cars with 2 ports (pcie 1x slot) and 5 ports in pcie 4x/8x/16x slots

past because my recent setup uses 5 bigger disks and can work with the 6 onboard sata (but if i need to i would reuse my jmb585 cards again and backup system with older drives still uses jmb585)

you can read some about that stuff here (its no faq its just a timeline kind of collection about things)

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/35882-new-sataahci-cards-with-more-then-4-ports-and-no-sata-multiplexer/

also there might be some cards that use pcie multiplexer chips in a useful way but they will be more expansive for the 10-12 sata ports and might do some fake stuff, so its always good to know what the chips on the card are supposed to do and what they really can do by the specs of the chip)