XPEnology Community

Question about whether the number of hard drives is supported or not

liukuohao

Question

Hi,

Currently, I have a motherboard: GA-B85M-DS3H, it has 4 x SATA3 + 2 SATA2, total of 6 drives, it can support.

CPU is an Intel i7-4770 CPU based on socket 1150, Haswell architecture.

DSM 7 has a new requirement for the initial installation. If drive hotplug is supported by the motherboard or controller, all AHCI SATA ports visible to DSM must either be configured for hotplug or have an attached drive during initial install.

This motherboard support hot-swappable drives in the BIOS/UEFI.

So, in order to take advantage this feature, I need have 6 drives connected during DSM installation?

I am about to start 1st installation of DSM 7.x, however after reading the is information about selecting the hardware:

DSM 7.x Loaders and Platforms - Tutorials and Guides - XPEnology Community

I windows user for many years, not a linux pro. so naturally, I a bit confused about these terminologies:

1) SataPortMap

2) DiskIdxMap

3) device tree

Questions:

1) If I am to select the architecture: apollolake, DS918+, how many drive would it be display within DSM, the number = 4, right?

2) Can appollolake, DS918+ supports more than 4 drives, but cosmetically, it can only show 4 drives?

3) What happen if I can a extra HBA into the PCI-E x16 slot, which can support 4 more drives, same issue, it will only shows 4 drives?

4) How to map out drives?

5) What is RAIDF1 support means?

Thank you.

7 answers to this question

use the latest versions of automated bootloaders and forget about all these questions :)

Arc

arpl-i18n

M Shell for tinycore-redpill

1 час назад, liukuohao сказал:

1) If I am to select the architecture: apollolake, DS918+, how many drive would it be display within DSM, the number = 4, right?

you will see all connected SATA drives

2) Can appollolake, DS918+ supports more than 4 drives, but cosmetically, it can only show 4 drives?

the number "9" after "DS" means the maximum number of connected disks

3) What happen if I can a extra HBA into the PCI-E x16 slot, which can support 4 more drives, same issue, it will only shows 4 drives?

you can connect an additional PCI-E SATA controller and add new disks

2 часа назад, liukuohao сказал:

4) How to map out drives?

don't worry - use the bootloaders listed above

2 часа назад, liukuohao сказал:

5) What is RAIDF1 support means?

it is only needed for SSD drives

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Trabalhador Anonimo said:

Sata 2 ports uses a port multiplayer

When you said you use a port multiplier, are you using this kind of hardware?

The red cable is connected to your SATA 2 port of your motherboard, for example.

I heard this kind of expansion is flaky. I wouldn't recommend to run in Xpenology.

2023-12-17_16-50-43.jpg

Edited by liukuohao

On 12/17/2023 at 5:54 AM, liukuohao said:

When you said you use a port multiplier, are you using this kind of hardware?

The red cable is connected to your SATA 2 port of your motherboard, for example.

I heard this kind of expansion is flaky. I wouldn't recommend to run in Xpenology.

2023-12-17_16-50-43.jpg

No, I´m not talking about this hardware. I´m talking about all ports on the mother board Asus B85M. All 4 ports sata 3 has it on sata channel. One for each port. Sata 2 ports has one channel only for both. 

I´m using 2 sata-PCI cards like this:https://www.amazon.com/BEYIMEI-Express-Controller-Expansion-Windows10/dp/B07PRRQ41J/ref=sr_1_5?crid=9Q5MLJHIQSKW&keywords=pci+sata&qid=1702993110&sprefix=pci+sat%2Caps%2C192&sr=8-5

I do not know what the brand is, but the chipset is Marvell.

Edited by Trabalhador Anonimo
Include information

3 hours ago, Trabalhador Anonimo said:

I do not know what the brand is, but the chipset is Marvell.

If I am not mistaken, Marvell chipset is flaky. You can google it. Yes, I know this link is about UNraid, but it is based Debian Linux.
https://unraid-guides.com/2020/12/07/dont-ever-use-cheap-pci-e-sata-expansion-cards-with-unraid/

If you want stability, preferably if possible try to get an server grade HBA card and flash it with IT mode.

Edited by liukuohao