XPEnology Community

DSM 7.2 - Change Boot from USB memory stick to SSD possible?

Hi everyone,

I have currently set up a fully working DSM 7.2 via USB memory stick boot and already configured it to my needs which took me quite some time.

I want now to switch to a 120GB SSD as the booting device, instead of the USB stick. I'm hopping for some performance gains, but more than that Im afraid that increased read/write operations will damage the USB stick in the near future. I'm having quite some apps and containers which will be active 24/7 and connections to devices will also be 24/7.

Is it possible to clone my USB drive, so that I don't lose any configuration and then flash it to the new SSD and continue to use it right after?

(I didn't find anything similar on the web, it was either old DSM version or fresh installation of xpenology)

Many thanks!

Regards

So I can just clone my current USB flash drive and flash it to the new SATA SSD and boot like before, while keeping all my configurations?

Are there any settings hardcoded that needs to be changed telling the system, that its now being used via SATA port and not via USB...

Thanks to you all in advance!

17 minutes ago, ue23 said:

So I can just clone my current USB flash drive and flash it to the new SATA SSD and boot like before, while keeping all my configurations?

Are there any settings hardcoded that needs to be changed telling the system, that its now being used via SATA port and not via USB...

Thanks to you all in advance!

Yes, it's just that you need to clone the disk instead of simply copying the files,

There is no need to change anything else. 
Remove the USB device before boot,because there are two boot disks at the same time. arpl will report an error because it does not know which one to use.

Edited by wjz304
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...