XPEnology Community

HDDs data migration to a new build

asaf

Question

Hi guys!

At the moment I am using HPE MicroServer Gen8 as my XPEnology DS. It has 4 x 4TB HDD in it with DSM 7.1 on them.

I need to implant them into my new build where I have empty 3 x 10TB HDDs with DSM 7.2 on them and transfer all the data.

Can anybody tell me if I can just put the old 4x4TB HDDs into the new build, migrate them to the new DSM, recreate them in a second Storage pool and transfer the data internally from one Storage pool to the other?

Or is there any better way to do that?

Thanks!

6 answers to this question

В 8/3/2023 в 1:03 PM, asaf сказал:

Hi guys!

At the moment I am using HPE MicroServer Gen8 as my XPEnology DS. It has 4 x 4TB HDD in it with DSM 7.1 on them.

I need to implant them into my new build where I have empty 3 x 10TB HDDs with DSM 7.2 on them and transfer all the data.

Can anybody tell me if I can just put the old 4x4TB HDDs into the new build, migrate them to the new DSM, recreate them in a second Storage pool and transfer the data internally from one Storage pool to the other?

Or is there any better way to do that?

There are many solutions.

For example:

1) make a backup (use Hyper Backup) on the old DSM and restore from the backup on the new DSM

2) make sure everything works fine on the new DSM

3) deactivate all disks on the old DSM, move them to the new DSM, add them to an existing storage pool, or create a new one

18 hours ago, dj_nsk said:

There are many solutions.

For example:

1) make a backup (use Hyper Backup) on the old DSM and restore from the backup on the new DSM

2) make sure everything works fine on the new DSM

3) deactivate all disks on the old DSM, move them to the new DSM, add them to an existing storage pool, or create a new one

There's no room for a backup.

The storage limit is almost entirely consumed.
That's the main reason for the upgrade.

2 часа назад, asaf сказал:

There's no room for a backup.

The storage limit is almost entirely consumed.
That's the main reason for the upgrade.

1) Use Migration Assistant to clone the system configurations, packages, and data from the old DSM to the new DSM

2) Deactivate all disks on the old DSM, move them to the new DSM, add them to an existing storage pool, or create a new one

1. make sure you have 1 empty sata port

2. after you attach your 1 10TB to your old build, make it spare

3. shutdown system and disconnect of your 4TB

4. power up machine

5. your synology tried to repair the lost disk.

6. repeat this step until all your 3 10TB are occupied. now you have 1 x 4TB and 3 10TB in your system

• Like 1

On 10/10/2023 at 12:00 AM, Rayqusa said:

1. make sure you have 1 empty sata port

2. after you attach your 1 10TB to your old build, make it spare

3. shutdown system and disconnect of your 4TB

4. power up machine

5. your synology tried to repair the lost disk.

6. repeat this step until all your 3 10TB are occupied. now you have 1 x 4TB and 3 10TB in your system

That's an excellent way to do the job!

However I was the Volume set to RAID5 and if I have done it this way I would have end up with a 3 HDDs x10TB each that are used as a 4TB ones, right?

And I wanted to set Volume of the new NAS to SHR in order to be able to mix and match different HDD capacities in the furure and to ease my life when upgrading HDDs. So I decided to just copy the data between the 2 builds. Mounted the shared folders from the old NAS into the new one and copy/pasted the data.

However, thank you very much for taking the time to answer my question!