XPEnology Community

TCRP satamap "bad port" is eSATA?

naasking

I tried a dry run of the TCRP setup on my server hardware, and while it detected all of my drives it said 1 port of 6 ports was bad and that DSM install would fail.

My motherboard has 5 internal SATA ports and 1 eSATA port, so is that the "bad" port?

I have my setup from my DSM 6.2.3 install that I can use as a reference if there's a simple mapping to the new setup.

Edited by naasking

• naasking changed the title to TCRP satamap "bad port" is eSATA?

So it turned out to be the eSATA port. I basically had to disable it entirely in the UEFI firmware for TCRP to to build.

Now the only issue I have is that some extensions don't seem to work for my architecure, DS3615xs. Currently "redpill-acpid", and "hv_netvsc" fail during build.

Edited by naasking

Thanks, I would but this install is running some services that wouldn't be convenient to have to setup again at this time. From my understanding I can only migrate to the same edition without having to set everything up again, or have I misunderstood something?

What you know is correct. This is called model-to-model migration.
Migration preserves the setting values of the existing model.
However, hardware that is not supported by later models (typically, HBA cannot be used in Device-Tree-based models such as DS920+, DS1621+, DS923+) must be considered.

On the other hand, if you're not using an HBA, this Device-Tree (DT) based model doesn't require you to spend energy mapping SataPorts. SataPortMap, DiskIdxMap, etc. are not used in DT. Everything including NVMe, USB and eSata is automatically mapped.

I've tried this TCRP process twice now for my hardware, and both times grub fails to load after the last ``exitcheck.sh reboot`` step. I see a "grub_disk_native_sectors not found" error. See attached image.

The first attempt I did the optional backup steps on step 7, the second time I did not, same outcome.

IMG_20230404_210844.jpg

I tried the ARPL loader, and it seemed to successfully install but I couldn't find the system on the network and it just seems to randomly reboot. Maybe that's the instability issue that was described. It's looking like I might be in the unfortunate position that I have to install DS3622xs+ and setup my services again. 😕

Will switching editions affect my files at all?

Edit: I suppose I can do an HDD migration to minimize the headaches, and then I might just have to setup the Let's Encrypt certificates from scratch, and maybe I can restore the mail server setup with HyperBackup.

Edited by naasking

12 hours ago, naasking said:

What is "HBA"? I tried searching for that term in the forum but it didn't turn up any results.

HBA (Host Bus Adapter)

HBA stands for Host Bus Adapter, which is a hardware component used in computer systems to connect a host (such as a server or computer) to a storage device (such as a hard drive or tape drive). It acts as an interface between the host system and the storage device, allowing data to be transferred between them.

HBAs are commonly used in storage area networks (SANs) and are typically used to connect servers to storage devices in data centers or enterprise environments. They can be either internal or external, depending on how they are connected to the host system and storage device.

HBAs are essential for enabling high-speed data transfer between the host system and storage devices, and they typically use protocols such as SCSI, Fibre Channel, or iSCSI to facilitate data transfer. They may also include additional features such as RAID (Redundant Array of Independent Disks) for data redundancy and fault tolerance.

2 hours ago, naasking said:

I've tried this TCRP process twice now for my hardware, and both times grub fails to load after the last ``exitcheck.sh reboot`` step. I see a "grub_disk_native_sectors not found" error. See attached image.

The first attempt I did the optional backup steps on step 7, the second time I did not, same outcome.

IMG_20230404_210844.jpg

Didn't you build the loader using the existing TCRP command method?

Try again with my M SHELL for TCRP, which is the same menu method as ARPL.

Thanks for the clarification Peter, I do have a PCI SATA III card installed for one of the drives, so I assume that meets the HBA criteria and I can't use device tree.

I hadn't come across the M shell option, thanks. I've just been using the standard TCRP install tutorial, and that seemed to succeed in building but failed on boot in grub with that grub option issue I showed above. I'll give M-shell a try tonight.

Ok, M-shell got pretty far with DS3615xs. It installed and seemed to boot but the machine doesn't show up on the network after waiting for about 10 mins, either via find.synology.com or the synology assistant. The screen shows the attached. It does get an IP since I was able to connect briefly to the web terminal described in the attached screen pic.

I tried setting up an image for the DS3622xs+ just to see if it would boot properly. I didn't see the "ERROR: Could not get IP" error in the screenshot, but the machine is still not reachable via either find.synology.com or the synology assistant. I'm not sure what to do from here.

IMG_20230405_204508.thumb.jpg.8f8a9f771a8a38670f9c373d206231fc.jpg

Tried again with arpl and the newest version of m-shell but this time with the DS3622xs+ version, same issue. Machine doesn't show up on the network although the screen does say it obtains the right IP. There must be something consistently going wrong here or some step I'm missing. Any suggestions?

I had an older spare AMD mobo and mini server chassis with hot swap bays and a PCI SATA card similar to the one in my server, so I loaded it up fully with old drives and tried to install the latest M-shell on that using DS3622xs+ and that went great.

Still no dice on my real server though. I even tried to launch the getty console, but that failed too. It registered my "g" but then immediately went to boot the kernel:

image.png.e99eebe886d3e1fff11640ba5fe9ad26.png