XPEnology Community

z-97-a motherboard won't go headless

asheenlevrai

Question

Hey :)

I'm trying to setup an Xpen rig that includes an Asus Z97-A motherboard

I setup the USB loader and I'm ready to install DSM but I noticed the following:

- if a monitor is attached to the PC, everything seems OK (SynAssist. can detect the rig).

- when the PC is headless (no monitor) I get beeps at boot (1 long 3 shorts) and SynAssist. cannot detect the rig.

I couldn't find any key for the error code (beeps) but I guess it means VGA output error or something like that.

Is there anyway I could solve that or are my only options to keep a monitor hooked up for nothing or to get an HDMI dummy like mentioned in this thread?

Thank you very much in advance for your help.

Best,

-a-

PS: In the BIOS, graphics is set to auto and all subsequent settings too (iGPU multi-monitor: disabled)

Edited by asheenlevrai

2 answers to this question

Asus Z97-A includes 1 COM header.

If you use a serial cable and an adapter for COM header, you can use more detailed headless through serial communication.

You can also send ifconfig command directly to see what IP is assigned.

If the client OS is MAC, minicom is recommended.

In case of WINDOWS, Hyper Terminal is good.

• Like 1

On 12/9/2022 at 4:23 PM, Peter Suh said:

Asus Z97-A includes 1 COM header.

If you use a serial cable and an adapter for COM header, you can use more detailed headless through serial communication.

You can also send ifconfig command directly to see what IP is assigned.

If the client OS is MAC, minicom is recommended.

In case of WINDOWS, Hyper Terminal is good.

Thanks a lot for your reply :)

I know what a COM header and a serial cable are (fortunately I have one around that I could use).

Unfortunately, the rest of your message is above my technical level, for now...

I guess the idea is to connect the z97-a to another PC via the serial port, right? And then use Hyper Terminal on the remote PC to monitor what's going on on the z97-a build? I'm not sure I understand how this would allow me to boot the z97-a setup without a monitor attached but, again, this is unknown territory for me, yet.

I'll try to google a bit in order to figure out what you want me to do here but if you could send me some links (or take some time to teach me here) I'd really appreciate it :)

Again, thanks a lot for taking the time to answer and provide advice.

Best,

-a-