XPEnology Community

Hello, please help with hardware advice

georgesil40

Question

I will begin by doing mea culpa!.. so yes, i did a stupid thing!

I had in the past an As Rock X370 Killer SLI, with a ryzen 3 1600, 8Gb of ram which was working great with 6 hdds and with DSM_DS3617xs_25426.

But a while ago i told to myself that is a good idea (now i know it was a bad idea) to do an upgrade and i ended up with an Asus ROG Strix x570-E gaming, a ryzen 5 5600X and 16Gb of ram, also with a nvme of 512Gb from Samsung. 

The problem is that now none of Xpenology versions are working anymore, for the Jun loaders I am not getting any network visibility, so I am building the images but i can't find the DSM with the sinology assistant.

I also tried with tinycore but it only works until i do "./rploader.sh satamap", at this point it says that the number of drives doesn't match and the installation will fail. I continue with the commands until reboot, but after reboot I can't find it with the sinology assistant.

Can somebody PLEASE help?

I not can somebody please suggest a current configuration (8 drives) which I could use to build a new server?

Thank you in advance!

George

16 answers to this question

The recommended REDPILL model for AMD Ryzen is the 6-bay DS1621+.
If you want to represent all 8 disks
There is also a DS2422+ in 24-bay.

After downloading and installing my M shell in tinycore linux, execute the build command as shown below.
Since these two models are based on Device Tree, you do not need to worry about SataPortMap.

curl --location "https://github.com/PeterSuh-Q3/tinycore-redpill/raw/main/my.sh.gz" -O; tar -zxvf my.sh.gz;

./my.sh DS1621+J
./my.sh DS2422+J

Thank you very much Peter. 

Sorry about the stupid question, but I am a stupid windows/ Ios user so my linux skills are basic: how do i go about doing that?

I mean I have the tinycore stick ready, where can i put in, or how i can install the my.sh that i have downloaded?

Thank you and sorry for my lack of skills!

curl --location "https://github.com/PeterSuh-Q3/tinycore-redpill/raw/main/my.sh.gz" -O; tar -zxvf my.sh.gz;

then choose`the DS1621+ (six bays) or the DS2422+ (12 bays)

./my.sh DS1621+J

./my.sh DS2422+J

M Shell is basically automated and very simple to use.

2 hours ago, rojoone2 said:

then choose`the DS1621+ (six bays) or the DS2422+ (12 bays)

./my.sh DS1621+J

./my.sh DS2422+J

M Shell is basically automated and very simple to use.

May the Universe repay you kindness gentlemen!

So I have performed the steps, it was very simple, but after installation i have used command "exitcheck.sh reboot" and after the reboot nothing can be found with the "Synology web assistant", any idea?

Hi

I am going through a similar situation

The characteristics are:

• Threadripper 2950x
  • Asrock x399 fatal1ty with 8 sata inputs (I am using all 8 )
  • An Asmedia PCI-E Expansion Card with 6 sata ports (I know it works because I tested it before on an intel j4105nhu, at the moment I don't use any)
  • SSD m2 250GB
  • 2 x Intel Gigabit LAN 10/100/1000 Mb/s (2 x Intel I211AT)
  • 1 x 10 Gigabit LAN 100/1000/2500/5000/10000 Mb/s (AQUANTIA / Marvell AQC107)
  • and 64GB in ram

I have tried the following platforms:

• DS3622xs+ It installs correctly, Sysnology Assistant detects the pc, I load the pat. it restarts but when it returns it is as if it had not installed the pat and repeats the operation
  • DS1621+ It installs correctly, Sysnology Assistant detects the pc, I load the pat. restart and the system starts, the detail is that it only detects 6 units of the 9 installed (8 sata 1 m2), the 10 Gigabit interface is not detected either
  • DS2422+ Installs successfully, Sysnology Assistant detects the pc, but does not detect any drives

On 8/27/2022 at 8:53 PM, Agente Zeth said:

Hi

I am going through a similar situation

The characteristics are:

• Threadripper 2950x
  • Asrock x399 fatal1ty with 8 sata inputs (I am using all 8 )
  • An Asmedia PCI-E Expansion Card with 6 sata ports (I know it works because I tested it before on an intel j4105nhu, at the moment I don't use any)
  • SSD m2 250GB
  • 2 x Intel Gigabit LAN 10/100/1000 Mb/s (2 x Intel I211AT)
  • 1 x 10 Gigabit LAN 100/1000/2500/5000/10000 Mb/s (AQUANTIA / Marvell AQC107)
  • and 64GB in ram

I have tried the following platforms:

• DS3622xs+ It installs correctly, Sysnology Assistant detects the pc, I load the pat. it restarts but when it returns it is as if it had not installed the pat and repeats the operation
  • DS1621+ It installs correctly, Sysnology Assistant detects the pc, I load the pat. restart and the system starts, the detail is that it only detects 6 units of the 9 installed (8 sata 1 m2), the 10 Gigabit interface is not detected either
  • DS2422+ Installs successfully, Sysnology Assistant detects the pc, but does not detect any drives

I would try a basic hardware install with DS3622; remove the asmedia card, disable the 10gb nic, use a single hdd. run ifconfig in the terminal and get the mac addresses of the intel nics, use the 'realmac' option for the serialgen. note the 'satamap' results for the disk controllers. If that works then add the m2, rerun satamap and rebuild. You will probably need to add the 10gb nic driver manually from rp-ext. you will need to edit/add the netif_num and mac addresses for 3 nics. check the user_config.json file to make sure your settings are 'stored' after the builds. I would not install the asmedia card until you have drives attached.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sbv3000 said:

try boot from UEFI partition

Hello,

Thank you! I deleted again all the secureboot keys and used the uefi version and it worked. The odd thing is that it only wanted to give me an ip when using the 1Gb lan, it doesn’t work when using the 2,5Gb.

Anyway… i guess is better than nothing.

Also when using DS2422+ the dsm version/pat that i used was 7.0.1-42218 update 5.

Thank you very much for all the help!

On 8/27/2022 at 3:29 AM, Peter Suh said:

The recommended REDPILL model for AMD Ryzen is the 6-bay DS1621+.
If you want to represent all 8 disks
There is also a DS2422+ in 24-bay.

After downloading and installing my M shell in tinycore linux, execute the build command as shown below.
Since these two models are based on Device Tree, you do not need to worry about SataPortMap.

./my.sh DS1621+J
./my.sh DS2422+J

also i will buy a second hand gigabyte motherboard + ryzen 5600g cpu to assemble a new nas, i would like to understand exactly what the J in the script command is for:
./my.sh DS1621 + J

6 minutes ago, wifi75 said:

also i will buy a second hand gigabyte motherboard + ryzen 5600g cpu to assemble a new nas, i would like to understand exactly what the J in the script command is for:
./my.sh DS1621 + J

./my.sh DS1621+J

where J is an option for building in jun mode .

jun mode is the method used by the jun loader of DSM 6 in the past.
Also called jun's old trick.
Like when Small Update (update 1, 2, 3, etc.) occurs in DSM
It seems to be deceiving as if the update does not work.
This process prevents DSM from going into recovery mode.

It is easy to understand if you think of jot mode and jun mode, which require postupdate a while ago, as opposite concepts.