XPEnology Community

Backup / Sync on XPEnology

psionguy

I would very much like to get a reliable backup and file sync working on XPEnology. I assume the standard cloud based option are a no no based on not having a synology account. Would appreciate any suggestions from all you experienced users as there is quite a few other options listed in the packaged section.

I recommend CrashPlan if you want to backup from a computer to your NAS or from a NAS the cloud. It's cheap, secure and without limitations.

You are using CrashPlan to backup to NAS? I was thinking about doing that, but there are some limitations if you dont have subscritpion, aren't there?

You mean backing up your computer to Xpenology, or backing up Xpenology off site?

Both, would like to be able to sync some spreadsheets, and backup my computers to Xpenology. I assume the one disadvantage using this instead of a dedicated server is you cant get the benefit of having an account. Have played around with cloud backup but would prefer to manage myself.

I recommend CrashPlan if you want to backup from a computer to your NAS or from a NAS the cloud. It's cheap, secure and without limitations.

You are using CrashPlan to backup to NAS? I was thinking about doing that, but there are some limitations if you dont have subscritpion, aren't there?

Without a subscription you will be able to backup to "friends" or in order words.. you can install CrashPlan on your computer and tell it to sync files to your NAS (you have to install CrashPlan there as well). You only have to pay for a subscription if you want off-site backup and upload all data to CrashPlan's server (CrashPlan Central).

I currently have the "Individual Plan" with my NAS uploading data to CrashPlan Central. All clients, both on my network and outside of my home are using the "Upload to friends" feature to backup to my NAS for free. It's awesome! :smile:

My guide: https://idmedia.no/projects/xpenology/h ... -synology/

Video: https://idmedia.no/projects/xpenology/v ... -synology/

Hmm, but as I read, if you don't have subscription, you can only make daily backups not continuous. Is that true?

And I wish they would finally drop Java. It's been more than 2 years that they promised native apps. :-|

Hmm, but as I read, if you don't have subscription, you can only make daily backups not continuous. Is that true?

And I wish they would finally drop Java. It's been more than 2 years that they promised native apps. :-|

I agree on the Java issue. I have to verify that statement about daily backups, but I doubt that.