XPEnology Community

Make a tutorial for valid serial and mac?

brantje

Personally I would say there are ethical issues and I'm not alone in that view going by comments made in the past by other users.

There are tutorials and threads out there already - although creating multiple mac's seems to be a challenge as it involves some maths. That could become more prevalent with the new security measures available in DSM 6 if it become available and it requires matched sets?

I don't have first hand knowledge of how it is implemented...my suspicion is that a valid serial and matched nics will be required, in order to use the new features. I could be entirely wrong though.

As far i know valid serial and MAC are needed only if you want use quickconnect feature.

IMHO i prefere to use DDNS so i can have more granural way to setup my external forwarding.

As far as I know HA also requires a valid mac/serial pair, but I'm not using it myself. I think I also noticed other issues, but can't remember at the moment. I can agree on ethical issue and as long as you easily can use your own domain or DDNS I don't see any reason for using Synology's service.

personally I dont use Syno services except on my real boxes and thats in addition to having a DDNS service too

As an aside, most virtual systems allow the setting of a virtual mac address of a vm nic, so that could be a workaround.

Or maybe just get a cheap second hand DS from ebay and code the info from that into XPE :smile: