Thinclient t610 - Station not visible in network


Recommended Posts

Hey there :)

im new here and  tried to install the dsm on my thinclient t610.

Used different loader versions:
1.04b (which probably don't worked because of the boot mode)
1.03b

and 1.02b (DS3617xs) (which should be the correct one because of the old cpu and uefi / legacy support i think)

 

I mounted the images with osfw mount and changed the pid and vid to the ids corresponding to my usb stick. (Is it correct that these numbers dont start with an 0x..?).

I also set a valid serial number.

Flashed this with balena etcher and if i boot from the stick the "happy hacking" message appears.

 

My station is connected to my router by lan. DCHP is activated but the station won't appear in the active devices list of the router so find.synology.com dont work.

 

I know the thinclients are not the first choice for an nas but ive got this for free so theres nothing to lose ^^
 

Thank you in advance for your help :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...
On 6/29/2021 at 1:10 PM, XsupergurkeX said:

Hey there :)

im new here and  tried to install the dsm on my thinclient t610.

Used different loader versions:
1.04b (which probably don't worked because of the boot mode)
1.03b

and 1.02b (DS3617xs) (which should be the correct one because of the old cpu and uefi / legacy support i think)

 

I mounted the images with osfw mount and changed the pid and vid to the ids corresponding to my usb stick. (Is it correct that these numbers dont start with an 0x..?).

I also set a valid serial number.

Flashed this with balena etcher and if i boot from the stick the "happy hacking" message appears.

 

My station is connected to my router by lan. DCHP is activated but the station won't appear in the active devices list of the router so find.synology.com dont work.

 

I know the thinclients are not the first choice for an nas but ive got this for free so theres nothing to lose ^^
 

Thank you in advance for your help :)

Wow! I'm so glad that I have found you!!!)) I have the same TC, man, but the setup process freezes after the "Screen will stop ypdating shortly" and nothing happens. Can you please share the step-by step instruction of successful installation?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I own a HP T610 (the slim) and HP T610P (the thick, installed OpenMediaVault)

I tried using 1.02b DS3615xs and able to discover in the network and install 6.1.7 forgot which version

and attempt to upgrade to 6.2.4 and use 1.03b DS3615xs loader but failed.

 

I will rollback to 6.1.7 and see exactly what version is working and update here.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay, I think I got it figured out on my HP T610 (the thin one)

 

File -> System Information -> 1 x 2G DDR3 DIMM, System BIOS K30 v01.20

Storage -> Device Configuration -> SATA Defaults = Automatic

Storage -> Storage Options -> SATA Emulation = AHCI Mode, Removable Media Boot = Enabled

Storage -> Boot Order -> leave EFI Boot Sources Enable

Security -> All Defaults, no changes

Power -> All Defaults, no changes

Advanced -> Power On Options, no changes

Advanced -> Serial Port A = IO=3F8h; IEQ=4; (somehow disable it will make things not working)

Advanced -> Device Options -> Integrated Graphics = Force and 32M (or AUTO, up to you)

 

Other things just follow Tutorial: Install/Migrate DSM 5.2 to 6.1.x (Jun's loader)

 

Tell me if it works for you, thanks.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I was told by someone... you can flash the loader to any IDE DOM therefore you do not need any USB loader to boot.

 

Sorry, I just find out I can edit posts (cannot do that yesterday for above posts)

 

But I cannot delete posts either. 😆

 

I flashed 15284 and manually update to 15284 update 3.

 

I think this maybe the final version of it.

 

Anyone have any further experience please share.

Edited by volospin
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, volospin said:

Anyone have any further experience please share.

not with that hardware but if it runs with 6.1 (loader 1.02b) it should be running with 6.2 too, your mistake above was to use 6.2.4

loader 1.03b is max 6.2.3 update3

and there is not much/any minimal requirement change with 7.0.1 (tinycore loader, still in development)

also it should be working with 3617 too (6.2 or 7.0)

even 3622 with 7.0 should (at least from the cpu side)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, IG-88 said:

not with that hardware but if it runs with 6.1 (loader 1.02b) it should be running with 6.2 too, your mistake above was to use 6.2.4

loader 1.03b is max 6.2.3 update3

and there is not much/any minimal requirement change with 7.0.1 (tinycore loader, still in development)

also it should be working with 3617 too (6.2 or 7.0)

even 3622 with 7.0 should (at least from the cpu side)

 

I see, I tried 1.02b 3617 and successfully installed DSM_DS3617xs_15284.

 

But when I try to use 1.03 3617 to boot and search by Assistant for clean install and it cannot be found.

 

So does it mean I should manual upgrade to 6.2.3 then replace the USB loader to 1.03b and it will boot?

and then I can manual upgrade to 7.0 and do the same USB loader replacement?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, volospin said:

So does it mean I should manual upgrade to 6.2.3 then replace the USB loader to 1.03b and it will boot?

no, as the default loader as it comes has the kernel of 6.2.(0) and the installed version would be 6.2.3, dsm would offer a repair to get the new kernel to the loader but if you get something wrong with the new loader you end up with a not working system

i usually suggest testing the 1.03b loader with a empty disk and when that does work doing a upgrade to with that new loader and the old disk, it would offer a upgrade (aka migration) and you can use the dsm version (*.pat) file of you choice as file

 

7 hours ago, volospin said:

and then I can manual upgrade to 7.0 and do the same USB loader replacement?

same goes for 7.0, prepare a tested usb with the new loader and then update the old system on disks

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, IG-88 said:

no, as the default loader as it comes has the kernel of 6.2.(0) and the installed version would be 6.2.3, dsm would offer a repair to get the new kernel to the loader but if you get something wrong with the new loader you end up with a not working system

i usually suggest testing the 1.03b loader with a empty disk and when that does work doing a upgrade to with that new loader and the old disk, it would offer a upgrade (aka migration) and you can use the dsm version (*.pat) file of you choice as file

 

same goes for 7.0, prepare a tested usb with the new loader and then update the old system on disks

 

I tried 1.03b loader with an empty disk but cannot find in network.

I tried upgrade from 6.1.7 to 6.2.3 with 1.03b loader also cannot find in network.

 

   Do you mean I need to install 6.1.7 then insert the 1.03b loader and search in network for migration?

 

I tried again with Redpill loader with an empty disk and I can find the device but end up with faulty disk and SATA disabled issue.

 

Thanks IG-88

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, volospin said:

Do you mean I need to install 6.1.7 then insert the 1.03b loader and search in network for migration?

no, if you dont have a 6.1.x installation you would do a clean 6.2.3 installation

1st step would be that you find the system in network when the 1.03b loader is booted

if that does not work there is something else wrong, the nic of the t610 would be BCM57781 ant thats tg3.ko as driver, known to work as it pretty common on older hp systems (might be a problem with redpill/tinicore and 7.0 atm, there is thread going on about that)

the only difference 1.02b/1.03b that comes to mind is that 1.03b needs csm mode in uefi bios and it needs to booted from the legacy usb device (the usb flash drive will appear twice in F9 boot menu once as uefi and 2nd as legacy without uefi in the name)

csm is only a option, if the uefi usb device is used then csm is not active/used

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/13333-tutorialreference-6x-loaders-and-platforms/

and that might give a hint what its about

https://www.parkytowers.me.uk/thin/hp/t610/firmware.shtml

(uefi/legacy on boot, it should be possible to disable uefi boot or at least have it higher priority in the boot process, but as 1st step its ok to press F9 on boot to see the boot selection)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, IG-88 said:

no, if you dont have a 6.1.x installation you would do a clean 6.2.3 installation

1st step would be that you find the system in network when the 1.03b loader is booted

if that does not work there is something else wrong, the nic of the t610 would be BCM57781 ant thats tg3.ko as driver, known to work as it pretty common on older hp systems (might be a problem with redpill/tinicore and 7.0 atm, there is thread going on about that)

the only difference 1.02b/1.03b that comes to mind is that 1.03b needs csm mode in uefi bios and it needs to booted from the legacy usb device (the usb flash drive will appear twice in F9 boot menu once as uefi and 2nd as legacy without uefi in the name)

csm is only a option, if the uefi usb device is used then csm is not active/used

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/13333-tutorialreference-6x-loaders-and-platforms/

and that might give a hint what its about

https://www.parkytowers.me.uk/thin/hp/t610/firmware.shtml

(uefi/legacy on boot, it should be possible to disable uefi boot or at least have it higher priority in the boot process, but as 1st step its ok to press F9 on boot to see the boot selection)

 

 

Thanks IG-88,

 

I am still newbie to these.

I will read and digest what you said try to make T610 work.

 

I want to try working on HP T610 before I work again on my HP N54L.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I tried replace the extra.lzma for loader 1.03b ds3615 DSM 6.2.3 v0.12.1_test to try to boot T610 with 1.03b but failed to find in network.

I think I will use ds3617 1.02b and 1.03b stock again.

 

then I will use the Redpill Tinycore to tackle the sata issue to see if I can do 7.0.1.

 

after these experience I will build a fresh HP N54L and might find it easier.

 

Still learning, thank you, IG-88

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, volospin said:

I tried replace the extra.lzma for loader 1.03b ds3615 DSM 6.2.3 v0.12.1_test to try to boot T610 with 1.03b but failed to find in network.

I think I will use ds3617 1.02b and 1.03b stock again.

extra.lzma (driver) is not the problem with 1.03b, that was one thing i wanted to say

1.03b need special settings in BIOS to boot, CSM is presumably on by default and the only reason you cant boot 1.03b properly is because uefi usb devices are chosen 1st , just try to press F9 on boot for the boot device selection and under legacy boot source choose the usb flash drive

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, IG-88 said:

extra.lzma (driver) is not the problem with 1.03b, that was one thing i wanted to say

1.03b need special settings in BIOS to boot, CSM is presumably on by default and the only reason you cant boot 1.03b properly is because uefi usb devices are chosen 1st , just try to press F9 on boot for the boot device selection and under legacy boot source choose the usb flash drive

 

Sure, I tried booting under legacy and it just give me a flashing cursor with nothing further.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, volospin said:

Sure, I tried booting under legacy and it just give me a flashing cursor with nothing further.

some hp system (usually desktops) need the loader to be not in GPT but in MBR

try this one, files are the same as on jun's loader, just the format of the image is different

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/41377-dsm-623-loader-with-mbr-partition-table-for-ds3617xs/

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, IG-88 said:

some hp system (usually desktops) need the loader to be not in GPT but in MBR

try this one, files are the same as on jun's loader, just the format of the image is different

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/41377-dsm-623-loader-with-mbr-partition-table-for-ds3617xs/

 

 

Breakthrough and big thanks IG-88

 

I downloaded the DS3615xs 1.03b MBR mod -> dd to USB and disable the HP T610 boot the EFI

DSM is now upgraded to 6.2.3 25426 Update 3

 

Next step is fixing the satamap issue with RedPill TinyCore 6.2.4 and / or 7.0.1

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I stop HP T610 project for now since I need to fix my T610P with OMV.

 

I want to apply my experience on T610 to T610P but the experience does not help.

I updated the T610P to 1.20 K30 firmware same as the T610.

 

But it seems my T610P likes EFI boot more than T610 did.

T610 uses EFI 1.02b then MBR 1.03b

but T610P fails on all ground.

 

Well, stay tune while I try to get 6.2.3 working on T610P.

 

Update~ I used 3617xs 1.02b and successfully installed 6.1 and then upgrade to 6.1.7

but when I shutdown and insert 3617xs 1.03b USB, it cannot be found in the network.

 

I might go ahead and try 3615xs tomorrow.

Edited by volospin
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, volospin said:

Update~ I used 3617xs 1.02b and successfully installed 6.1 and then upgrade to 6.1.7

but when I shutdown and insert 3617xs 1.03b USB, it cannot be found in the network.

the plus version only seems to ad a pcie riser card

https://www.parkytowers.me.uk/thin/hp/t610/plus.shtml

so with 1.03b its most likely about CSM/legacy mode in bios (legacy support on in bios and with F9 choosing the legacy boot device)

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, IG-88 said:

the plus version only seems to ad a pcie riser card

https://www.parkytowers.me.uk/thin/hp/t610/plus.shtml

so with 1.03b its most likely about CSM/legacy mode in bios (legacy support on in bios and with F9 choosing the legacy boot device)

 

 

 

This time it is interesting though.

 

With T610, I get a flashing cursor with EFI 1.03b

With T610P, it boot all the way with EFI 1.03b

 

Strange difference same result

Link to post
Share on other sites

Somehow the T610P 1.20 BIOS behavior is different from T610 1.20 BIOS but it should not be.

Now I installed 6.1.7 update 3 with Jun's 1.02b DS3615xs on T610P but having trouble will "All packages installed"

while I only got several default ones and no others to choose from except SynoCommunity (which I added).

 

I tried Redpill Tinycore but still got the SATAMAP issue.

 

No matter I tried Jun's default or MBR version, I still cannot get pass 6.1.7 on T610P.

But I did get to 6.2.3 on T610.

 

Strange feeling... I think I need to reinstall again on T610P with DS3617xs and see again what happens.

Side experience, I tried using IDE DOM and write the bootloader image which results the same as USB so I take it off again.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.