SSD Cache - Memory Full


Recommended Posts

Hey all

Running DSM 6.2

Looking to add a SATA SSD read cache to this. Noticed when running the calculator, it says my memory is full and that is' not pssible to create said cache as a result.

Have 2x16g unbuffered ecc memory on this. What's the workaround?

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, SnowDrifter said:

Hey all

Running DSM 6.2

Looking to add a SATA SSD read cache to this. Noticed when running the calculator, it says my memory is full and that is' not pssible to create said cache as a result.

Have 2x16g unbuffered ecc memory on this. What's the workaround?

 

what does your Resource Monitor show you for memory usage?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, test4321 said:

 

what does your Resource Monitor show you for memory usage?

 

Anywhere from 10 to 15% used with most of the other spaced filled up for 'caching' but that doesn't count towards actual reported memory usage

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, test4321 said:

That looks normal. Try rebooting your machine and running the calc again.

 

 

same memory full error

Even tried disabling write cache on my drives to force free memory instead of cached. Same gig

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SnowDrifter said:

same memory full error

Even tried disabling write cache on my drives to force free memory instead of cached. Same gig

 

Screenshots of your Resource Monitor and the Error would be nice. Also anything you set up with your SSD Cache.

 

Why are you running SSD cache advisor when you already have SSD cache setup?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, test4321 said:

 

Screenshots of your Resource Monitor and the Error would be nice. Also anything you set up with your SSD Cache.

 

Why are you running SSD cache advisor when you already have SSD cache setup?

I don't have an SSD cache. I want to add one, but haven't yet ordered any drives for that purpose. Want to sort this error out before I throw money at it

image.thumb.png.93dda8be2c57d8362d902418758b929f.png
image.thumb.png.7e9d869a1b138276ae828415f2794b38.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SnowDrifter said:

I don't have an SSD cache. I want to add one, but haven't yet ordered any drives for that purpose. Want to sort this error out before I throw money at it

image.thumb.png.93dda8be2c57d8362d902418758b929f.png
image.thumb.png.7e9d869a1b138276ae828415f2794b38.png

 

Looks like its some sort of bug or just badly translated message:

https://anonymiz.com/w8ul

 

Syno forum is full of people asking about it. I wouldn't worry about it.

 

In general, when I used SSD cache it worked great, but if there are any issues with it, it really fucks up your system. I would go without it(I just recently removed mine).

 

I removed mine because when write cache was 100% full it would stop the box from working. All the online videos of SSD cache also show very little change in read / write speeds.

 

I think that whole cache system might not be stable software and only works in lab conditions.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/13/2021 at 11:31 PM, SnowDrifter said:

Noticed when running the calculator

Where did you find this calculator?

 

Here I am running with 16GB RAM, and I have a 128GB SSD as cache, no problem.

image.thumb.png.e612e97fbca4992dc9162ac6f61de886.pngimage.thumb.png.b97c1faf6811386e5025a9ecef9ecf43.png

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ohh, I got it, must have been the "SSD Cache Advisor" so I checked another of my boxes, also with 16GB RAM but no SSD Cache.

Both are based on DS3615xs, the first one running DSM 6.1.x this one is on DSM 6.2.x

 

image.thumb.png.e3ba4bf8de51869dcd56fffda6bd8be9.png

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.