Build requirements for HW transcode and Synology Moments AI functions


Recommended Posts

Hi,

I already have a working Xpenology build. It's working fine but I'd like to use more Synology functions like HW transcode and Synology Moments AI functions

 

CPU: i3-4330 (iGPU included)

MB : Asrock H97M Anniversary

RAM : 8GB

 

I understand that I need a serial number and a mac adress to get HW transcoding. But does my CPU support it?

I think it need Intel Quick Sync and my CPU seems to support it. Do I need something else to make it work?

 

Synology Moments : AI functions are not working at this moments. Is it because it needs HW transcoding, serial number or something else? I read somewhere that it might be because my CPU only have 2 cores. Where can I find the info regarding this? I could change my CPU and buy another one on eBay to get all functions to work.

 

Except HW transcoding that needs work and maybe Synology Moments, is there others functions that depends on HW that I should look into to be more futureproof?

 

Thanks :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, secretliar said:

I already have a working Xpenology build. It's working fine but I'd like to use more Synology functions like HW transcode and Synology Moments AI functions

 

CPU: i3-4330 (iGPU included)

 

918+ has 4th gen hasswell as minimum to boot but the original synology units use newer gpu gen's than that so there might be things not working on older gen cpu's

i've never tried moments but the Ai stuff will use the jpeg hardware support, you 4th gen cpu only supports jpeg decoding but i's guess that's enough (918+ apollolake also supports encoding, if dsm relies on the type then some gpu functionality is not present when using a older cpu/gpu, but i can't remember a case where we have seen trouble about that)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Quick_Sync_Video#Hardware_decoding_and_encoding

 

23 hours ago, secretliar said:

I understand that I need a serial number and a mac adress to get HW transcoding.

no, you don't

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/24864-transcoding-without-a-valid-serial-number/

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/30552-transcoding-and-face-recognitionpeople-and-subjects-issue-fix-in-once/

 

 

23 hours ago, secretliar said:

But does my CPU support it?

yesy if its at least 4th gen and has intel quick sync video it does

 

 

23 hours ago, secretliar said:

AI functions are not working at this moments.

needs activation, when using the patch from above you dont need serial and mac of a original unit

 

23 hours ago, secretliar said:

that it might be because my CPU only have 2 cores

where`i cant remember any limit like that, i tested vidoestation's transcoding with a 2core cpu and it worked

 

 

23 hours ago, secretliar said:

Except HW transcoding that needs work and maybe Synology Moments, is there others functions that depends on HW that I should look into to be more futureproof?

having pcie 3.0 and some pcie slots for extensions like 10G nic and sata ports - you already have that

to support 10bit color and 4k h265 you would need a better system but i guess thats no problem atm

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for taking time to answer!I can see that DS3615 support all AI functions of Synology Moments and have a similar CPU as mine.

 

That might be a dumb question but I noticed that Jun Loader 1.04b is for DS918+ and 1.03 is available for DS3615.

 

Does this mean that future updates will be only for DS918+ or that has nothing to do with it?

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, secretliar said:

Thank you for taking time to answer!I can see that DS3615 support all AI functions of Synology Moments and have a similar CPU as mine.

hardware transcoding depends on the intel i915 driver andthat one is not present in 3615/17

 

38 minutes ago, secretliar said:

That might be a dumb question but I noticed that Jun Loader 1.04b is for DS918+ and 1.03 is available for DS3615.

yes, but you should ignore the higher number of 918+ loader, there are 3 loades for dsm 6.2 and for for every type of the three it should be the latest loader

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/13333-tutorialreference-6x-loaders-and-platforms/

 

38 minutes ago, secretliar said:

Does this mean that future updates will be only for DS918+ or that has nothing to do with it?

unknown, atm there are no sign that we will get a loader for 7.0

it depends on the person/group who creates the loader, if someone asks, i do have a opinion about it, but it also can be just driven by the need of the one person or to have  low effort/time and building on the knowledge already present and just extending/modding the loader we already have

in general units get 5 year support from synology so the 3615 were the 15 is the release year 2015 might not be continued, also its kind of redundant as 3617 has all and even more features then 3615

beside this you can still "migrate" between models and take data/settings and most plugins with it, so if you start with 3617 and feel 918+ suits better you just exchange the loader and install same or newer build of the other dsm type (matching the loader you used)

same is to expect when updating to 7.0, it needs a new loader and if its not the same type it will be the special update called "migration"

 

Edited by IG-88
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/13/2020 at 11:48 PM, secretliar said:

Synology Moments : AI functions are not working at this moments. Is it because it needs HW transcoding, serial number or something else? I read somewhere that it might be because my CPU only have 2 cores. Where can I find the info regarding this? I could change my CPU and buy another one on eBay to get all functions to work.

 

 

This was exactly my problem I had an Intel G3258 which is super over clockable but only has 2 cores. It sat for weeks indexing and wouldn't show anything. I tried loading 10 photos using the Photos web interface and it loaded them, however 2 didn't show anything other than grey boxes and all had a little loading icon running on them all the time. Clicking on them did nothing.

Finally my midrange Xeon CPU arrived (Intel Xeon E3 1240 V3) and I swapped it in and was messing around with replacing  a faulty drive. I checked on the photos and moments apps shortly after this and was happily surprised to see all my photos load up really quickly.

I would vote for going on Aliexpress/Ebay and buying an old Xeon CPU. I think your Motherboard is an 1150 so the same Intel Xeon E3 1240 V3 I bought will probably fit, but CHECK your motherboard BIOS to be sure it supports it before you buy. Not all motherboards support Xeons. If you do opt for one from Aliexpress, I have bought four different CPUs from "JSF CPU Technologies Co Ltd" on four different occasions this year and all have worked well. You could also check ebay.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.