XPEnology Community

Driver extension jun 1.03b/1.04b for DSM6.2.3 for 918+ / 3615xs / 3617xs

On 12/8/2022 at 10:52 PM, IG-88 said:

i can't say much about the asm1166, used mine just for testing a little, as i had the jmb585 earlier, it was working fine and i only use 4 of the 5 ports so had no need for 6 ports

i've not seen any negative comments about asm1166 and also seen people here using it

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/65408-automated-redpill-loader-arpl/?do=findComment&comment=382342

considering this
https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/63475-dsm-7-proxmox-hdd-hibernation-issue/?do=findComment&comment=303430

the asm1166 might be a better choice with synology's kernel as they did not have a special fix in there kernel as it seems to be the case for jmb585

but i never looked into the kernel code belonging to this, might be something unimportant for normal use

my two jmb585 run fine for over 2 years now

So with your 0.13.9 driver extension for 918+ for Jun's loader 6.2, will work the m.2 sata x6 asm166 controller or the m.2 x5 jmb585 controller?? Need to buy one asap.

If both are compatible, any preferences for any of them?
Thanks

Edited by ed_co

On 4/9/2024 at 8:32 PM, ed_co said:

Are there any Driver extension jun 1.04b for DSM6.2.3 for 918+?

in the 1st post of this thread are links, also for 918+ and one of the links is still working

On 4/9/2024 at 8:32 PM, ed_co said:

My new hardware is: h610m-itx/ac motheboard (NIC is i219V) with a i3 12100 processor (UHD 730)

Link to my question thread:  

as it has i219 (intel e1000e driver) and i211 (intel igb driver) at least one should work (if you really want to torture yourself with that old 6.2.3 stuff)

1 hour ago, ed_co said:

So with your 0.13.9 driver extension for 918+ for Jun's loader 6.2, will work the m.2 sata x6 asm166 controller or the m.2 x5 jmb585 controller?

asm1166 and jmb585 are both ahci compatible and will work even without anx eytra drivers as the ahci support is a fixed part in synologys kernel (that is always used with jun's or newer loaders)

i'd suggest using a newer loader like arc, support dsm 7.1 (lts) oder 7.2, plenty of drivers and loads of fixes to special conditions

arc gets a lot of effort and is well maintained

https://github.com/AuxXxilium/AuxXxilium/wiki

2 hours ago, IG-88 said:

as it has i219 (intel e1000e driver) and i211 (intel igb driver) at least one should work (if you really want to torture yourself with that old 6.2.3 stuff)

Haven't mentioned the i211, which is not present in my current motherboard (h610m-itx/ac)

2 hours ago, IG-88 said:

i'd suggest using a newer loader like arc, support dsm 7.1 (lts) oder 7.2, plenty of drivers and loads of fixes to special conditions

arc gets a lot of effort and is well maintained

https://github.com/AuxXxilium/AuxXxilium/wiki

Now there are lots of loaders, and it looks like lately ARC is the one that is getting traction (more than ARPL or TCRP).

Although not sure if is better or worse. But even ARC has variations like ARC-A, which I am not sure what of them to get.

My only worry with the new loaders is having to create another loader every time you have to update to a new version, or you will not be able to load DSM anymore. Which I never saw how this is done and how complex it is.

I loved with Jun's loader, you could update any update from the DSM control panel with no problem.

23 hours ago, ed_co said:

I loved with Jun's loader, you could update any update from the DSM control panel with no problem.

you just forgot about the fun we had as its quiet some time since you updated your 6.2.3

6.2.2 with its different pcie kernel options or 6.2.3-25xxx (and all after that up to 6.2.4) just to name a few

arc-a and arc-c are about a fixed dsm type like RS4021xs+ and SA6400, more automated and arc-c even has a custom kernel option to have more cpu cores usable (also its the one dsm x64 version that has kernel 5.x)

just try the normal arc (and read about the limitations and special things of models in his wiki, https://github.com/AuxXxilium/AuxXxilium/wiki/Arc:-Choose-a-Model-|-Platform)

but if you want to use 6.2. and jun's laoder just  try it. disks should be no problem with ahci controllers, if the last extra gets you nic working then it should be fine

you should never expose such old unpatched system directly to the internet as 6.2.3 has a lot of security fixes missing by now

11 hours ago, ed_co said:

ARC: does it support more than 4 disks with DS918+ model? I hope not, I have 16 disks in Jun's DS918+

i use arpl with a dva1622 and 6 disks (original has 2) and arc with 3622 and 13 disks (original 12), no problems, in the graphics you see a box with the original amount of slots but in using there is just the "normal" and old 26 disk limit, you will see all disks in HDD/SSD listing of disks

you might want to change from 918+ to something newer as 918+ might loose its support and might not get updates as long as newer models (the guarantee is about 5 years, anything above that depends)

depending on the features you need (like intel quick sync video) there might be some limits of models you can choose in the loader

there is also a model specific cpu thread limit in the kernel but as you use a low spec cpu for you new system that wont be much of a problem, only thing with new er intel cpu's might be that the old 4.x kernel in its original form does not support 12th gen intel qsv and it depends on the loader how far that support is working as it needs extra drivers from the loader, so you might need to read up on that in the loaders doku or here in the forum (i use a older intel cpu with the dva1622 that is working with syno's original i915 driver so i'm not that much up to knowing whats the best solution now, dva1622 comes with a nice feature set ootb when the i915 supports the cpu but there was also some interesting stuff going on with sa6400 and its 5.0 kernel with i915 extended drives, initially here https://github.com/jim3ma but i guess some of it might have found its way to other loaders by now)

in genral it does nor matter if the original unit has a amd or intel cpu for just the basic NAS stuff, only when using KVM based VMM from synology or specific things like intel qsv it becomes important (as kernels per from synology are tailored for cpu's to some degree and the most obvious is the thread limit)

i'd suggest to use a different usb thumb drive and a single empty disk (maybe two to connect to the last sata port to see how far it gets) to do some tests (you can keep the original usb and he disks you use now offline (just disconnect the disks), play with the loaders model until you find your sweet spot and then use that configured loader to upgrade to the new model and dsm version (7.1 is still fine and as its a LTS version it will get updates at least as long as 7.2)m when creating a system from scratch with empty disks the partitions layout for system and swap will be different with 7.1/7.2 but upgrading from 6.2 and keeping the older smaller partitions is supported by synology so there is no real need to start from scatch for 7.x

https://kb.synology.com/en-global/DSM/tutorial/What_kind_of_CPU_does_my_NAS_have

• Like 1

@IG-88I was thinking installing ark doing something like this: 

Although not sure how possible it is...

If I could do this changing and then when I port it to dsm 7.2.1 maybe changing to a different model (like from dsm-918+ to sa6400) could be easier?

On 4/13/2024 at 12:45 PM, IG-88 said:

...but as you use a low spec cpu for you new system that wont be much of a problem...

BTW, I just changed from the i3 12100 to an i5 12400 6 cores/12 threads

I guess, I don't need too much more for my needs

On 4/16/2024 at 3:09 AM, ed_co said:

BTW, I just changed from the i3 12100 to an i5 12400 6 cores/12 threads

might add some addition thinking about the 8 thread limit in 918/920

6/12 usually relutis in half real core and half HT virtual cores and as as HT "virtual" core has about 25% of a real core, what you get in a 8 thread limit scenario is the performance of ~5 cores (4 x real 4 x 25% of a real core)

disabling HT in bis will 6 core performance

so without a different model having a higher thread limit baked into the kernel you will see no gain of the better cpu and often these models dont have intel quick sync support (i915 driver)

dva1622 also has a 8 thread limit, not sure arc loader as sa6400 has i915 driver, usually i915 cant be easily added by just compiling some modules for the kernel as the most synology kernel miss the part the needs to be in the kernel to load i915 as module

arc seems to have i915 drivers for sa6400 so i guess you might be able to use arc as sa6400 wit your cpu

if you dont need intel qsv the there are a lot option for the model, and 3622 is most common as it the successor of 3615/3617

On 4/14/2024 at 6:15 AM, ed_co said:

was thinking installing ark doing something like this: 

On 4/14/2024 at 6:15 AM, ed_co said:

Although not sure how possible it is...

If I could do this changing and then when I port it to dsm 7.2.1 maybe changing to a different model

cant say much about this as i never done it that way (i use syno's migration assistant as i had a old and new system parallel), i dont think 6.2.4 would be needed, most people here did 6.2.3 to 7.0 or even 7.1 or 7.2, 6.2.4 never was atractiv in any way as it already neede redpill loader to work and most people wanting to risk some new loader woul have used 7.0 as it offered some new stuff for the risk of using a new loader

the update report section is a source of information for that

this entry is 6.2.3 to 7.2.1

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/69680-dsm-721-69057/?do=findComment&comment=451137

On 4/18/2024 at 10:39 PM, IG-88 said:

Unfortunatelly is not a guide and is using ARPL, not Arc

On 4/18/2024 at 10:39 PM, IG-88 said:

if you dont need intel qsv the there are a lot option for the model, and 3622 is most common as it the successor of 3615/3617

Ideally I woud like to have the intel qsv, and sa6400 should have it, right?

i use arpl with a dva1622

Why you chosing this model?

@IG-88 Couple of more questions:

- Very important! I guess you used all the loaders out there, what is the best for you: TCRP (looks like you don't use this one currently, why?), ARPL, Arc?

- And last question, what is the procedure to update a new version of DSM with Arc in major DSM versions? Is more complicated in TCRP/ARPL?

Thanks for the reply!!

Edited by ed_co

17 hours ago, ed_co said:

nfortunatelly is not a guide and is using ARPL, not Arc

its about dsm being able to "convert" its settings from a aolder ds, version to a more recent one without additional steps (recommanded by synology)

the loader is not much involved here as long as it can make dsm run (redpill kernl module on all loaders we unse 6.2.4 an any 7.x) as long as the loader has anough drivers to support the hardware in question ... (ahci sata is part of syno's kernel so any ahci compatible controller will work, so in most cases its about network driver support)

Ideally I woud like to have the intel qsv, and sa6400 should have it, right?

as far as i have seen yes, but i use dva1622 for now (as sa6400 pretty new), sa6400 might have better intel qsv support as its kernel 5.x based and its i915 driver support newer hardware ootb then what comes with kernel 4.x

try arc or arc-c for sa6400

https://github.com/AuxXxilium/AuxXxilium/wiki/Arc:-Choose-a-Model-|-Platform#epyc7002---dt

only downside might be not beeing able to use VMM with intel cpu (i guess that, not testes it myself and might never do that as if i need really might vm's to run i would choose a "real hypervisor" system like proxmox (esxi by now sees to be out of the race because of broadcom ditching the free version)

i use arpl with a dva1622

Why you chosing this model?

more free survailance cam's by default, native intel qsv build in by synology as the system in it original is using gemini lake (with the right cpu that is supported ootb its also easy to use jellyfin or plex, , "AI" stuff ootb in survailance station

in the end i do not use  any of that, still options i "could" use (lucky me i had not have to spend all the mony synology asks for a real 1622), but with the loaders you can switch models any time and and dsm will be able to convert everything (usually) as all is x64 based

(some specifics about sas hba's or cpu dependent features like intel qsv and amd vmm support)

arpl is on hold for at least a year (and might never come back), arc is good supported,lots of features and easy to use as its menu based (and the wiki is helpful too - people should use it more often), it might get confusing with all the options but there is the wiki, youtube, this forum and discord ...

- And last question, what is the procedure to update a new version of DSM with Arc in major DSM versions? Is more complicated in TCRP/ARPL?

nothing different in result, as long as the loader is configured the right way (model) you will not see much difference as dsm is doing your jobs and somem things like care for some special problems might not be different between maintained loaders as its open source and new knowledge about how to fix quirks are shared and might find there way in your specific loader overtime (but in most cases you find the loader that work now for you and you look for new stuff 2 years after the or even later)

3 hours ago, IG-88 said:

but with the loaders you can switch models any time and and dsm will be able to convert everything (usually) as all is x64 based

That's very interesting. So change the model is doable, but has to be DSM converted, you mean like from 6.2.3 to 7.X.X? This is because every DSM is always a different OS depending on the hardware and is not a common OS for all, right?
If so, it is a pity there is no project trying to unify all the DSM OS's and create just one to be compatible with all the hardware at the same time, and is just matter of installing, and no loader needed anymore... could be somewhat doable?

19 hours ago, ed_co said:

you mean like from 6.2.3 to 7.X.X? This is because every DSM is always a different OS depending on the hardware and is not a common OS for all, right?

no, all the dsm is the same and are just complied with different kernel options and different settings from syno's config files (a little simplified)

the kernel in x64 based units comes with different settings but will run anyway even if a amd based unit like sa6400 is used with a intel cpu, its not that much different

20 hours ago, ed_co said:

If so, it is a pity there is no project trying to unify all the DSM OS's and create just one to be compatible with all the hardware at the same time, and is just matter of installing, and no loader needed anymore... could be somewhat doable?

the loaders pretty much do exactly that, synology intends to make model based dsm version just run on that hardare, the loader is circumventing that by "emulating" or spoofing that hardware and making it run on any hardware you have, for more or less most x64 based models (does not make much sense to have 2 slot based unit supported when there s a bigger one with the same hardware and features)

as for changing models ist pertty much all you can see in the loader you can chenge from one to another, its even a "offical" synology dsm feature and you will find lists of hardware you can migrate to from one to another, luse case ist like your 918+ out of support of support you the hardware is dead and you buy a new or bigger unit like ds923+ you can just insert the disks of you old unit ito the new hardware an the loader in that unit (usb dom) will recognise the old different system on the disk and the installtion (config files) will be converted tio the new dsm installtion that will end on the disks when "migrating" to the new hardware, thats called drive or hdd  migration"

https://kb.synology.com/en-global/DSM/tutorial/How_to_migrate_between_Synology_NAS_DSM_6_0_HDD