eenewbie

After installing DSM and the server reboots, blank screen with blinking cursor

Hi, after installing DSM on my server, it reboots the server and goes straight to a black screen with a blinking cursor. Any one else experienced this? Any thoughts on how to troubleshoot and resove? Thanks.

People will not be able to help with so little information. Please provide information on your hardware, version of DSM, version of loader etc.

I have same problem, if you hit ctrl+alt+del it will reboot and try again to boot from usb, or try to change/reattach usb stick then try a reboot.

I have this problem as well. After fiddling around and getting the server to appear inside the browser. I have gone ahead and pressed the install button. As soon as the installation is completed and the pc reboots I pull out the USB Drive (Loader V1.02b) and my SSD gets "booted", but the only thing appearing on my screen is a flashing cursor. IMG_0659.thumb.JPG.890b8bd2f3fdd254bb777a78e100d6f9.JPG

On a Linux Forum, I have read that this could be caused by GRUB being installed in the wrong directory. 

I would really appreciate any help. 

Edited by Korfay

On 9/1/2017 at 6:06 PM, Korfay said:

I have this problem as well. After fiddling around and getting the server to appear inside the browser. I have gone ahead and pressed the install button. As soon as the installation is completed and the pc reboots I pull out the USB Drive (Loader V1.02b) and my SSD gets "booted", but the only thing appearing on my screen is a flashing cursor. On a Linux Forum, I have read that this could be caused by GRUB being installed in the wrong directory. 

I would really appreciate any help. 

Removing the boot loader will simply prevent DSM from booting... There is a reason why it's called a "boot loader".

Also I don't think using Jun's boot loader 1.02b will work on a laptop as I believe the modules are not included. Also be advised that even if it works you would need to access DSM from a different computer. DSM is a server OS and therefore is not meant to have a display attached to it. It is meant to be accessed through the network. In any case that black screen and a cursor tells me that the usb boot loader did not boot, perhaps because you removed it in the first place...

• Like 2