XPEnology Community

Synology Plus series internal Flash/DOM repair and model-modding

DSfuchs

Due to many questions/problems in the "DS412+ USB flash module pinout" thread, I would like to expand the topic to include all models in the Synology "+" series, and all questions about the internal flash memory regarding hardware replacement, image repair.  Synology Model upgrades are also possible here.

I would like to once again urgently point out the need to back up every DOM of Synology + models. It's done in a few seconds.

Simply run via SSH with root:

dd if=/dev/synoboot of=/volume1/myShare/DS412+synoboot-6.2.4u5.img

where "myShare" is your share for general purpose. Of course, it only makes sense if the file is then downloaded from the Synology to another location.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
On 4/26/2024 at 5:50 PM, DSfuchs said:

I would like to once again urgently point out the need to back up every DOM of Synology + models. It's done in a few seconds.

Simply run via SSH with root:

dd if=/dev/synoboot of=/volume1/myShare/DS412+synoboot-6.2.4u5.img

where "myShare" is your share for general purpose. Of course, it only makes sense if the file is then downloaded from the Synology to another location.

@StandBugz do you have such a backup of your DOM?

How urgent is it, and in which country/time zone are you based?

Edited by DSfuchs

il y a 23 minutes, DSfuchs a dit :

@StandBugz I checked myself. I have a DOM of my DS1815+, from which we can also create a ...13+ or 17+ on a USB replacement.

Nice!

yesterday I tried to change VID & PID with an old 1GB Mem-UP stick with success, F400 wrotten. But the DS1813+ won't start...

so I am still looking for solution...

21 minutes ago, StandBugz said:

Nice!

yesterday I tried to change VID & PID with an old 1GB Mem-UP stick with success, F400 wrotten. But the DS1813+ won't start...

so I am still looking for solution...

Do you have answers to #6 for me?

Posted (edited)

@StandBugz Did you expand the original DOM and read it externally as an image?

Was the image successfully written to the modified USB stick. If yes, can you provide a file list of both partitions?

Otherwise, the first thing to do is to renew the 4 files on partition 2, analogous to the screenshot of the RS814+, with the source:

https://global.synologydownload.com/download/DSM/release/6.2.4/25556/DSM_DS1813%2B_25556.pat

1262239423_filestoexchangeonpartition2.thumb.JPG.3583fe9b3e346289fbfac383a0c65a10.jpg

Edited by DSfuchs

Hello, I came across this forum because of my aging DS412+.

After following the instructions in DS412+ USB flash module pinout to move to RS814+, I was almost successful, but there are two issues:

1) Storage Pool Degraded - images below

2) Cannot update to latest DSM Version: 7.1.1-42962 Update 6 - I saw this problem in the other thread, but I don't understand how to fix it. I want to fix it instead of rolling back and reinstalling DS713+ if that is possible.

Issue 1 + images -- If I try to repair the storage pool, the error in the images appears:

image.thumb.png.ab71a714cc993f3d395f1e24fa19c14e.png

image.thumb.png.cf37f1fff0b12cf3bf883e82530f5471.png

Thank you in advance for the help and ability to give the DS412+ some more years of useful life.

Update that as I didn't have any essential files remaining before I tried this process, I just rebuilt the storage pool. Issue 1 is resolved, so just issue 2 now.

Cannot update to latest DSM Version: 7.1.1-42962 Update 6 -- would like to fix and upgrade it instead of rolling back to DS713+ if that is possible.

One other question: Does this method to move the 412+ to DSM 7 prevent the use of QuickConnect? I was using it for DS Audio but can use an alternative method if QuickConnect can't be used and there is no workaround to use it.

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, reiou said:

Update that as I didn't have any essential files remaining before I tried this process, I just rebuilt the storage pool. Issue 1 is resolved, so just issue 2 now.

Cannot update to latest DSM Version: 7.1.1-42962 Update 6 -- would like to fix and upgrade it instead of rolling back to DS713+ if that is possible.

If you mess up your hard drives, only the "cat /proc/mdstat" command will be able to help you, but not the GUI.

Edited by DSfuchs

7 hours ago, reiou said:

One other question: Does this method to move the 412+ to DSM 7 prevent the use of QuickConnect? I was using it for DS Audio but can use an alternative method if QuickConnect can't be used and there is no workaround to use it.

QC only works with a valid combination of model/serial number/MACs. The model has been changed so it no longer fits. Interestingly, there are no problems if the same real device is listed twice in different Synology accounts. The manufacturer doesn't check it.

Since the update problem has nothing to do with modding, the manufacturer is responsible. I would only try with a single otherwise free hard drive. When the level is reached, I would then plug in the correct hard drives.

Thank you for your replies.

I'm sure I can get around the lack of QC via actually setting up my environment/network to properly support external access. And regarding updating DSM to a higher version, I will try to update to the latest supported with the single free hard drive method you suggest.

Out of curiousity, what are our device options for modding? Modding DS412+ to DS713+ and RS814+ both worked successfully. What other devices are we able to use? I'm wondering if we can go up to DSM 7.2 (or higher in future...?) on the DS412+ by using other devices.

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, reiou said:

Thank you for your replies.

I'm sure I can get around the lack of QC via actually setting up my environment/network to properly support external access. And regarding updating DSM to a higher version, I will try to update to the latest supported with the single free hard drive method you suggest.

Out of curiousity, what are our device options for modding? Modding DS412+ to DS713+ and RS814+ both worked successfully. What other devices are we able to use? I'm wondering if we can go up to DSM 7.2 (or higher in future...?) on the DS412+ by using other devices.

But we can take advantage of the lack of quality control ;-). A little play on words here with QuickConnect and Quality Control, hope you know what I mean.

The device options for the Intel Cedarview CPU are already at the end, because there is no newer model that supports DSM >=7.2.

Edited by DSfuchs

Hello, sorry if this is not the right place to ask:
I'll give you some background, I have a synology ds-1817+
original, in fact it starts well and does everything correctly
The fact is that from one day to the next, I couldn't log in through quickconnect, the synology active backup for business didn't work... etc etc

I started to investigate and in the device properties, the serial number of the device and the macs of the network cards disappeared..., I contacted synology support and they told me that the device was out of support... ..

I made a backup copy of the dom, as you indicate in number 4, in case something bad happens :)
the syno version is:7.2.1-69057 update 4
Could you please tell me the steps I need to take to solve this problem? Basically I think it would be to re-enter the serial and mac numbers, but I have not found the appropriate steps to make this modification
Thank you very much for the help

P.S. I also purchased a DOM from alixpress, in case I needed 4GB

1. Upload the "vender" file to the DiskStation's general purpose share.
2. Installation of the synocli-file package from here:
https://packages.synocommunity.com/synocli-file/19/synocli-file.v19.f15047[apollolake-avoton-braswell-broadwell-broadwellnk-broadwellntbap-bromolow-cedarview-denverton-dockerx64-geminilake-grantley-purley- kvmx64-v1000-x86-x86_64%5D.spk
3. Now log into the SSH terminal and switch to root:
sudo -i
4. Then mount the internal flash to /mnt:
cd /dev
mount synoboot2 /mnt
cd /mnt
6. The newly installed package includes the Midnight commander.
Call this with mc on the command line.
7. Switch right and get to the new vender file in its directory like /volume1/...
Copy the vender file there to the flash module (/mnt) with F5.
8. Leave mc with F10.
9. back to /root:
cd /root
10. Remove the integration from the flash module:
umount synoboot2
11. Done and reboot with:
reboot