XPEnology Community

Migrating from TCRP to ARC, newbie qn.

I'm currently using TCRP loader and DSM 7.1-42661 Update 3.

When I build the ARC loader, I used the same SN and MAC, and PAT file suggested by the loader was DSM 7.1.1-42962.

When booting, it says I've migrated to new machine (9.18+ to 918+) and need reinstall (presumably DSM 7.1.1-42962)

1) Is there a way to upgrade without reinstalling?  Do I try to use the DSM 7.1-42661 Update 3 PAT file instead?

2) What triggers DSM to think it's a different machine?  The thumbdrive VID/PID?

The other machine that was "migrated", I lost the existing linkage for the Replication hence reluctant to migrate.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

in a original system the usb vid/pid would always be the same (f400/f400), not sure if they would check that for upgrading to a different system as it is by default the same on original systems

we can start guessing and try to check and test

in /etc/synoinfo.conf is a entry "dsm_installtion_id" that looks like it could be the culprit

when the new loader re-creates (changes) a new synoinfo.conf from its loader config it might get lost

in best case it might solve the problem by just placing the old value after installing and reboot, but it also could be a value that is created as a fingerprint on every boot and we dont know how its created so it ends up different on a loader changed system

also a reminder there are things like "synowedjat"

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/68080-synology-backdoor/

so synology is identifying and tracking every system individually and thats need fingerprinting and id's, the SN and MAC's is not the only thing for sure

@AuxXxilium or @Peter Suh might know more about hat individual id?

i guess that kind of scenario is not part of the loaders (migration from a different loader and reading stuff from the old installation, i'd guess they look for there own loader config file on the boot media and what the user inputs there)

that rabbit hole can be pretty deep in worst case, for a simple use it might be easier to just document it and know that when using hyperbackup and replication scenarios the id of systems will change and these things will have to start from scratsch

Edited by IG-88