XPEnology Community

Xpenology on DS412+: No drives detected

I have a fully functional DS412+.  I want to try DSM 7.2 on it.  Here's what I did:

1) Removed the DOM from the motherboard

2) Use Rufus to write the Arc loader to a USB stick (PID=F400, VID=F400)

3) Insert the USB stick into the front USB port of the DS412+

4) Power on the unit

5) Access the Arc loader web console (port 7681) to configure the loader.  Chose DS918+ as the model.  Build the loader.

6) From Arc loader, choose "Boot the loader".

7) It boots into DSM.  I can access the web for DSM installation.  But it says "No drives detected on DS918+".

I think it's the SATA mapping issue in the loader because those drives work fine in native DSM 6.2.  How shall I troubleshoot?  Thank you!

I also read from this thread that the DSM image can be mod to spoof another model (e.g. spoof a 412+ into a 713+).  How is that option compared to the loader option?  Thank you!

Sysinfo.jpg

Edited by Helloguys

I tried Arc and TCRL-M loaders.  They couldn't detect the hard drive.  But the original DOM can.  How can I troubelshoot?  Thank you!

Can you test it with DS920+? DS918+ is non devoce tree and need to setup SataMapPort and DiskIdMap but I don’t know because not automatically configure.

With Arc Loader and TRCP M-Shell have options to fix it and only you have one controller hdd.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, apriliars3 said:

Can you test it with DS920+? DS918+ is non devoce tree and need to setup SataMapPort and DiskIdMap but I don’t know because not automatically configure.

With Arc Loader and TRCP M-Shell have options to fix it and only you have one controller hdd.

Thank you!  I think it as Synology's hardware design.  Here's what I have observed on DS412+:

0) 3d-party loaders (such as TCRP-M or Arc) can see the SATA controller but cannot detect any HDDs.  Same for Linux command 'lsblk'.

1) When the unit powers up, the HDDs don't to get any power at all (all HDD lights are off).

2) During the unit bootup (from the DOM), the blue light is blinking, still no sign of HDD spinning up.  This process takes a few minutes.

3) Then there's a long beep to indicate the bootup process completed.

4) After the beep, the HDD lights are on.  I think they get power(electricity) at this point.

Some people reported that if they clone the DOM image to a USB stick.  The unit can boot from the USB stick just fine.  (have to remove the DOM from motherboard and set the USB stick PID/VID to F400/F400).

So there must be a proprietary mechanism that the Synology loader in DOM sends a signal to the motherboard to turn on the power for the SATA connector.  Unless 3rd-party loader can mimic that signal(command), there's no way to power up the HDDs.  Maybe someone can look at the OEM loader to figure out what command it is?

Edited by Helloguys

Posted (edited)
On 12/31/2023 at 5:02 AM, Helloguys said:

I have a fully functional DS412+.  I want to try DSM 7.2 on it.  Here's what I did:

1) Removed the DOM from the motherboard

2) Use Rufus to write the Arc loader to a USB stick (PID=F400, VID=F400)

3) Insert the USB stick into the front USB port of the DS412+

4) Power on the unit

5) Access the Arc loader web console (port 7681) to configure the loader.  Chose DS918+ as the model.  Build the loader.

6) From Arc loader, choose "Boot the loader".

7) It boots into DSM.  I can access the web for DSM installation.  But it says "No drives detected on DS918+".

I think it's the SATA mapping issue in the loader because those drives work fine in native DSM 6.2.  How shall I troubleshoot?  Thank you!

I also read from this thread that the DSM image can be mod to spoof another model (e.g. spoof a 412+ into a 713+).  How is that option compared to the loader option?  Thank you!

Sysinfo.jpg

DS412+ has very old hardware (Intel Atom D2700) and maybe it doesn't support DSM 7.2

Edited by jacqlittle

2 hours ago, jacqlittle said:

DS412+ has very old hardware (Intel Atom D2700) and maybe it doesn't support DSM 7.2

First of all, it's not the DSM, it's the bootloader.  OEM bootloader can detect the HDDs.  3rd-part loaders cannot.

Secondary, it has nothin to do with CPU.  It's all about marketing strategy.  For example, both DS1813+ and DS412+ have the same CPU (Intel Atom D2700).  But DS1813+ officially support 7.1.1.  DS412+ officially supports up to 6.2.4.