XPEnology Community

Main and Important 918+, fake error from SSD, Most likely Synology Compatibility. Need 2tb working urgently. Help please.

Captainfingerbang

Question

I am on 7.2 Ds918+ WITH REAL MAC SERIAL

i have a  few perfectly good 2tb micron 1100 ssd that's been in my Xpenology 3+ years only 1 giving me errors now, i've checked on many other devices and working perfectly. Its 1 2tb micron ssd. These are basically tanks to me.

But its ruining my one important volume/diskstation. The errors i am sure are due to drive not being on new "compatibility list". Please tell me how i can fix ssd not on compatibility Or what do you do about synology blocking compatibility of drives and their serials?

Tonight its gave me errors, took it out, change hardware id/serial temporarily and that worked, but then it did not work. Tried again, recognized drive but came back with errors.

Tried al sorts of tools in windows/linux. The drive is FINE... 

. Does anyone's software have ssd/hdd compatibility update fixer for drives for TCRP?

Have you seen this tool? https://www.reddit.com/r/synology/comments/11c4yby/script_to_add_synology_your_drives_to_your/?utm_source=embedv2&utm_medium=post_embed&utm_content=post_title&embed_host_url=https%3A%2F%2Fxpenology.com%2Fforum%2Findex.php

Please help I really look to all of your for advice in urgent situations, please

How do other people get around having to buy expensive Synology drives? I already PAID for the ds918 ONCE!

Here is my boot screen and my errors below that

566-Copy.thumb.jpg.9533a91a45462783c7c921a8879d4c84.jpg

2-Copy.thumb.jpg.59286117ef7bccae3cf189c73cf4eded.jpg1-Copy.thumb.jpg.535a8c1ddf506a65571675a4ba780fec.jpg

6 minutes ago, Peter Suh said:

Synology KB provides instructions on how to activate SSD TRIM. I don't know how many cases this activation is possible. I have never actually tried this activation. You may require a storage pool consisting solely of SSDs on the compatibility list, such as the micron 1100. 

https://kb.synology.com/en-global/DSM/help/DSM/StorageManager/volume_ssd_trim?version=7

And Synology also supports the hdparm command.

Yes I would imagine that analogy supports HD parm but my drives aren't supported for that.

Seriously may I ask your opinion? Do you see any reason why a live Linux disc could not perform trim on the drives inside of my Synology? Obviously I would be booting from Linux USB and not the bootloader USB

10 minutes ago, Captainfingerbang said:

Yes I would imagine that analogy supports HD parm but my drives aren't supported for that.

Seriously may I ask your opinion? Do you see any reason why a live Linux disc could not perform trim on the drives inside of my Synology? Obviously I would be booting from Linux USB and not the bootloader USB

I have no experience using hdparm on Ubuntu. All I did was use hdparm to find the disk's firmware version in the syno-hdd-db.sh provided to you. I don't have a high-capacity SSD (also compatible with syno) in the same conditions as you, but if time permits, I will learn more about syno's SSD trim and try to help. There's no telling how long it will take.

• Thanks 1

/var.defaults/lib/diskaction/diskaction.xml disables SDD TRIM for some SSD models:

<disk model="CT.*MX300SSD.*">TRIM_OFF</disk>
    <disk model="ST.*FM.*3">TRIM_OFF</disk>
    <disk model="HUSMR16..ASS2(0|3)(0|1|4|5)">TRIM_OFF</disk>
    <disk model="SNV[0-9]*[a-zA-Z]*">TRIM_OFF</disk>

synoinfo.conf has 2 trim settings that should be set to yes:

support_ssd_trim="yes"

support_trim="yes"

Without changing any of the above I have TRIM available on my Intel SSD and WD NVMe drives.

• Like 1

On 12/29/2023 at 8:51 PM, 007revad said:

/var.defaults/lib/diskaction/diskaction.xml disables SDD TRIM for some SSD models:

synoinfo.conf has 2 trim settings that should be set to yes:

support_ssd_trim="yes"

support_trim="yes"

Without changing any of the above I have TRIM available on my Intel SSD and WD NVMe drives.

Fantastic find my friend! 

I guess i just have bad luck!  Strange it seems aot of hese models are HDD not SSD when i run command. Idk

Jacob@AHERNMAIN:/etc$ sudo vi /var.defaults/lib/diskaction/diskaction.xml
    <disk model="ST8000NM0045">TIMEOUT_23</disk>
    <disk model="MG05ACA800E">TIMEOUT_23</disk>
    <disk model="WD5000BPKX">NCQ_OFF</disk>
    <disk model="WD7500BPKX">NCQ_OFF</disk>
    <disk model="ST(6|9|12|18)00MM0018" eunit="RX2417sas">HIBERNATION_OFF</disk>
    <disk model="ST(6|9|12|18)00MM0018" eunit="RXD1219sas">HIBERNATION_OFF</disk>
    <disk model="ST(6|9|12|18)00MM0018" eunit="RX1217sas">HIBERNATION_OFF</disk>
    <disk model="ST10000VN0004-1ZD101" firmware="SC60">WCACHE_OFF</disk>
    <disk model="ST10000NE0004-1ZF101" firmware="EN01">WCACHE_OFF</disk>
    <disk model="ST1(0|2|4)000NM0(048|038|528)" eunit="RX1217sas">HIBERNATION_OFF</disk>
    <disk model="ST(12|18|24)00MM0129" eunit="RX1217sas">HIBERNATION_OFF</disk>
    <disk model="ST(12|18|24)00MM0129" eunit="RX2417sas">HIBERNATION_OFF</disk>
    <disk model="ST600MM0099" eunit="RX1217sas">HIBERNATION_OFF</disk>
    <disk model="ST600MM0099" eunit="RX2417sas">HIBERNATION_OFF</disk>
    <disk model="MZ7LH(240|480|960|1T9|3T8|7T6)H(AHQ|AJR|MLT|MLA)" eunit="RX1217sas">TRIM_OFF</disk>
    <disk model="MZ7LH(240|480|960|1T9|3T8|7T6)H(AHQ|AJR|MLT|MLA)" eunit="RX2417sas">TRIM_OFF</disk>
    <disk model="WD20EFAX-68FB5N0">WDDA_ON</disk>
    <disk model="WD60EFAX-68SHWN0">WDDA_ON</disk>
    <disk model="WD120EFAX-68UNTN0">WDDA_ON</disk>
    <disk model="WD121KFBX-68EF5N0">WDDA_ON</disk>
    <disk model="WD82PURZ-85TEUY0">WDDA_ON</disk>
    <disk model="XS.*0(S|L|M)E70004" eunit="RX1217sas">HIBERNATION_OFF</disk>
    <disk model="XS.*0(S|L|M)E70004" eunit="RX2417sas">HIBERNATION_OFF</disk>
    <disk model="SKC100S3120G" firmware="321ABBF0">SCT_OFF</disk>
    <disk model="WD1005FBYZ-01YCBB2">WD_IDLE_OFF</disk>
    <disk model="ST8000VN0022">TIMEOUT_23</disk>
    <disk model="ST8000NE0004-1ZF11G" firmware="EN01">WCACHE_OFF</disk>
    <disk model="ST16000VN001">TIMEOUT_23</disk>
    <disk model="MG07SCA12TE" extra_info="128">NCQ_ADJUST</disk>
    <disk model="MG06SCA800E" extra_info="128">NCQ_ADJUST</disk>
    <disk model="WUH721818ALE6L4">WD_IDLE_OFF</disk>
    <disk model="MG0(6|7|8)(S|A)CA(12T|800|16T)E">START_STOP</disk>
    <disk model="HA(S|T)53(0|1)0-(4|8|12|16|18|20)T">START_STOP</disk>
    <disk model="HAT53(0|1)0-(4|8|12|16|18|20)T">DUMMY</disk>
    <disk model="ALL" internal="yes">START_STOP</disk>
    <disk model="WUH721818ALE6L4">WD_IDLE_OFF</disk>
    <disk model="HUS722T2TALA604">WD_IDLE_OFF</disk>
    <disk model="WUH721414ALE6L4">WD_IDLE_OFF</disk>
    <disk model="HUH721010ALE600">WD_IDLE_OFF</disk>
    <disk model="HAS5300-(4|8|12|16)T">DUMMY</disk>
    <disk model="HAS5300-(4|8|12|16)T" extra_info="128">NCQ_ADJUST</disk>
    <disk model="MG08SCA16TE" extra_info="128">NCQ_ADJUST</disk>
    <disk model="(UNV)|(SAT)|(SNV)[0-9]+-[0-9]+G">WCACHE_OFF_DISABLE</disk>
    <disk model="WD121KRYZ">WD_IDLE_OFF</disk>
    <disk model="HUH721212ALE60(0|4)">WD_IDLE_OFF</disk>
    <disk model="SNV3(4|5)10-(4|8)00G" firmware="ECEM13.0">SMART_TEST_DISABLE</disk>
    <disk model="HAT3300-(4|6|8|12)T">START_STOP</disk>
    <disk model="HAT5300-(4|16)T" firmware="1401">FW_UPGRADE_IN_DSM_UPGRADE</disk>
    <disk model="HAT5300-4T" firmware="1402">FW_UPGRADE_IN_DSM_UPGRADE</disk>
    <disk model="HAT5310-8T" firmware="1401">FW_UPGRADE_IN_DSM_UPGRADE</disk>
    <disk model="HAS5300-16T" firmware="1401">FW_UPGRADE_IN_DSM_UPGRADE</disk>
    <disk model="HAT3310-(6|8|12|16)T">START_STOP</disk>
    <disk model="HAT3300-(4|6|8|12)T">DUMMY</disk>
</disk_control>

this screenshot also shows.. trim is supported! but i cannot trim sadly....

image.thumb.png.dc38e963eebb965d484e09d5cbbfc861.png

On 12/29/2023 at 5:56 PM, Peter Suh said:

I have no experience using hdparm on Ubuntu. All I did was use hdparm to find the disk's firmware version in the syno-hdd-db.sh provided to you. I don't have a high-capacity SSD (also compatible with syno) in the same conditions as you, but if time permits, I will learn more about syno's SSD trim and try to help. There's no telling how long it will take.

One final bother for you genius man..

Do you know if it's possible no matter what Synology device, if one can simply run nvme drives only? No Sata, no hdd etc.

Not that I am interested in RAID 0 because I'm not, But I have a test machine I would love to try this with.

Finally, if i were to raid or SHR nvme together, (nvme only) could one nvme drive be in an m.2 slot while the other is an adapter and a pcie x16 slot?

Or 3 in m.2 and 3 in pcie x16?  (ALL AS STORAGE NOT CACHE)?? sorry almost forgot to add that!

1 hour ago, Captainfingerbang said:

Do you know if it's possible no matter what Synology device, if one can simply run nvme drives only? No Sata, no hdd etc.

Not that I am interested in RAID 0 because I'm not, But I have a test machine I would love to try this with.

Finally, if i were to raid or SHR nvme together, (nvme only) could one nvme drive be in an m.2 slot while the other is an adapter and a pcie x16 slot?

Or 3 in m.2 and 3 in pcie x16?  (ALL AS STORAGE NOT CACHE)?? sorry almost forgot to add that!

Your question feels like a feeling of déjà vu.

Didn't I already give a similar answer?

I think I made SHR by combining PCIE type ASUS Hyper M.2 adapter with MOBO's M.2?

However, no one can guarantee stability when doing this.

Edited by Peter Suh

1 hour ago, Captainfingerbang said:

This is something that was already asked of me personally in September of last year.

2024-01-045_19_39.thumb.png.8d5ae699bab49a048c795cbd0a9dfc56.png

10 minutes ago, Peter Suh said:

This is something that was already asked of me personally in September of last year.

Well i could imagine MANY things were asked of you last year, but the point is moot now sir.

Forget the NVME then, im simply attempying to install latst tinycore friend, but i think i used m-shell. And forgot how to create installer for brand new system.

Plus this cpu is i3-8100 so i am not sure which build to choose, only that i need one that does nvme storage.

Could you at least point me in the direction of your latest guide for "Dummies" on how to download, flash, and install using tcrp-friend and or M-shell?

I am kindof stuck here. So i restarted in hopes one could help

26 minutes ago, Peter Suh said:

Actually disregard my help question, you seem like a busy man, and beyond my level, and also seem bothered. I will go try another method..

Thanks for your help. Happy new year sir

On 12/29/2023 at 3:46 AM, Peter Suh said:

I'm curious as to whether the pop-up that appears when you click that link or the next step is something that helps you.
I've clicked on that link too, but I can't remember what I did.
Did you know that a pop-up appears when you click that orange message?

So my Micron 1100 problem is back Mr. Peter. On DS918+ SHR using TCRP "Friend". But this time the problem is even worse, now BOTH micron 1100 drives are seeming incompatible.! Plus something happened to where it like reinstalled the OS or similar.

I have yet to actually click the yellow messages, do you think i should click them? i will after this last repair i am trying.

I've been putting the micron 1100s in and out of ds918 all morning trying to get them to take. 

One of them I've finally got to 67% repairing storage pool. But they have been failing earlier this morning when i tried. 

I've tested these drives in MANY programs such as Hard Disk Sentinel, Crystaldiskinfo, windows progs, and MiniTool partition.

Zero Bad Sectors, ran long tests w/nothing bad resulting, i've FULLY wiped and erased the drives, not helping for DSM. Everything says they are like 95% healthy.

What should i do peter? Am i the only one with this issue?

Could it be because of 7.2.1-69057 Update 1 ? Should i roll back?

Is there  a fix yet? Anyone?

image.thumb.png.47f0b1b888eda21e530163b775a73508.pngimage.thumb.png.e6979fe935c6accc1782139170b65e0a.png

This Micron 1100 model is on Synology's genuine support list and is causing problems.

Originally, it should operate on its own without any script manipulation.

And honestly, I don't have any ideas until @007revad, who has a lot of experience in this area, gives me detailed advice.

As I mentioned last time, since your Micron 1100 has real data, I am afraid to ask you to do any testing after modifying the script to improve it.

I think it is difficult to figure out the problem until 007revad or I purchase the Micron 1100 and test the hardware ourselves.

16 minutes ago, Peter Suh said:

This Micron 1100 model is on Synology's genuine support list and is causing problems.

And honestly, I don't have any ideas until @007revad, who has a lot of experience in this area, gives me detailed advice.

As I mentioned last time, since your Micron 1100 has real data, I am afraid to ask you to do any testing after modifying the script to improve it.

I think it is difficult to figure out the problem until 007revad or I purchase the Micron 1100 and test the hardware ourselves.

Well i cant imagine that this website or any other are willing to purchase you an ssd for testing purposes. Plus the fact that there arent many of these drives around, or at least not cheap, its looking like the chances of you being able to test are not good.

I wouldnt expect you to go out and purchase either. 

These are newer drives, maybe someone would be willing to part with this for testing. These are TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan

image.thumb.png.dc555530b945536a788055a4755ce3e2.png

22 minutes ago, Peter Suh said:

I have to ask, do you see others having these problems with ANY ssd? Or is this a problem only for me?

56 minutes ago, Peter Suh said:

On a totally different subject, ive been looking at running 007revad's      007revad/Synology_HDD_db script.

When running nvme as storage and not cache, can you raid or shr or whatever, an NVME that is in the m.2 slot with one in the pcie slot? 

Also

Not that i want to, but is it possible to raid or shr etc, an NVME storage disk with Sata storage disk to make an array?

3 hours ago, Captainfingerbang said:

When running nvme as storage and not cache, can you raid or shr or whatever, an NVME that is in the m.2 slot with one in the pcie slot? 

Also

Not that i want to, but is it possible to raid or shr etc, an NVME storage disk with Sata storage disk to make an array?

Version 3.4.x of syno_hdd_db.sh allows you to:

1. Create a storage pool on NVMe drives in a PCIe card.
  2. Create a storage pool combining NVMe drives in the mobo's M.2 slots and NVMe drives in a PCIe card.

Before version 3.4.x you needed to use syno_create_m2_volume.sh to create the storage pool.

I used storage manager to create an SHR storage pool spanning 2 NVMe drives in a E10M20-T1 and 1 NVMe in the mobo's M.2 slot. There were a couple of minor GUI issues in storage manager:

1. Storage manager shows both mobo M.2 slots as used even though there is only 1 slot being used.
  2. Clicking on either of those M.2 slots opens the info for one of the drives in the PCIe card.

I could fix those issues, but I'm busy with other things at the moment.

For your 2nd question, storage manager won't let you create a storage pool with different drive types. It is possible to make it work, but why would anyone want to.

3 minutes ago, 007revad said:

Version 3.4.x of syno_hdd_db.sh allows you to:

1. Create a storage pool on NVMe drives in a PCIe card.
  2. Create a storage pool combining NVMe drives in the mobo's M.2 slots and NVMe drives in a PCIe card.

Before version 3.4.x you needed to use syno_create_m2_volume.sh to create the storage pool.

I used storage manager to create an SHR storage pool spanning 2 NVMe drives in a E10M20-T1 and 1 NVMe in the mobo's M.2 slot. There were a couple of minor GUI issues in storage manager:

1. Storage manager shows both mobo M.2 slots as used even though there is only 1 slot being used.
  2. Clicking on either of those M.2 slots opens the info for one of the drives in the PCIe card.

I could fix those issues, but I'm busy with other things at the moment.

For your 2nd question, storage manager won't let you create a storage pool with different drive types. It is possible to make it work, but why would anyone want to.

Exactly, nvme and sata drive would waste the speed of nvme

Are there any sort of limits on nvme drives? Say i have 5 pcie slots capable of nvme, could i fill each slot with one or more nvme ssds and (hypothetically) create a raid 0 from them all? Or is this storage limited to shr etc?

Edited by Captainfingerbang

21 minutes ago, Captainfingerbang said:

Are there any sort of limits on nvme drives? Say i have 5 pcie slots capable of nvme, could i fill each slot with one or more nvme ssds and (hypothetically) create a raid 0 from them all? Or is this storage limited to shr etc?

In storage manager RAID 1 has a maximum 4 drive limit. All other RAID types have a 65,536 drive limit. https://github.com/007revad/Synology_enable_M2_volume/wiki/RAID-min-and-max-drives

ok thanks 

well i keep getting the problem with my Micron 1100 drives where the system decides that one of them has gone bad and I have to take it wipe it out and repair every time. It's happening every single day so every day I'm having to do this at least once.

Can I go into a setting somewhere to where I make this stop?

6 hours ago, Captainfingerbang said:

ok thanks 

well i keep getting the problem with my Micron 1100 drives where the system decides that one of them has gone bad and I have to take it wipe it out and repair every time. It's happening every single day so every day I'm having to do this at least once.

Can I go into a setting somewhere to where I make this stop?

Someone had either Micron or Crucial NVMe drives and they'd go bad after a few days. They had them replaced a few times then eventually they bought some Samsung NVMe drives and the problems stopped.

12 hours ago, 007revad said:

Someone had either Micron or Crucial NVMe drives and they'd go bad after a few days. They had them replaced a few times then eventually they bought some Samsung NVMe drives and the problems stopped.

I thought there was somewhere inside dsm i could ssh and edit something to tell the system to allow the drive?

15 minutes ago, Captainfingerbang said:

I thought there was somewhere inside dsm i could ssh and edit something to tell the system to allow the drive?

There is.

First replace the existing drive database files with a clean copy.

1. Download https://global.synologydownload.com/download/DriveUpdate/SynoOfflinePack/731/SynoOfflinePack-ds918%2B-731.sa to your NAS.
  2. Go to Storage Manager > HDD/SSD > Settings > Advanced.

3. Go to the Drive Database section and click Manual Update.

4. Click Browse and select the update pack you downloaded.

5. Click Update.

Refresh the browser tab then check in storage manager if your drives are supported.

If they are still showing "unrecognized firmware" then run https://github.com/007revad/Synology_HDD_db/releases/tag/v3.4.82 via SSH, close and reopen storage manager. 

• Like 1

On 1/23/2024 at 3:52 PM, 007revad said:

There is.

First replace the existing drive database files with a clean copy.

1. Download https://global.synologydownload.com/download/DriveUpdate/SynoOfflinePack/731/SynoOfflinePack-ds918%2B-731.sa to your NAS.
  2. Go to Storage Manager > HDD/SSD > Settings > Advanced.

3. Go to the Drive Database section and click Manual Update.

4. Click Browse and select the update pack you downloaded.

5. Click Update.

Refresh the browser tab then check in storage manager if your drives are supported.

If they are still showing "unrecognized firmware" then run https://github.com/007revad/Synology_HDD_db/releases/tag/v3.4.82 via SSH, close and reopen storage manager. 

Well, 007revad,

i simply must be bad luck. I did all that you asked here. There was even a newer update to the 731.sa that i also tried with to no avail.

Plus there were two versions (see below) of this i tried, also didnt fix those mesages for my drives. Maybe im doomed.

But at least my drives didnt do as before and keep failing. Now they are active members of the arrays and working and showing healthy

I am so grateful for your blood,sweat, and tears on all this, i could never be more grateful. Many thanks.

sudo -s /volume1/Public/scripts/Synology_HDD_db-3.4.82/syno_hdd_db.sh -nr --showedits

AND 

sudo -s /volume1/Public/scripts/Synology_HDD_db-3.4.84/syno_hdd_db.sh -nr --showedits

if the worst that comes of this is these annoying words, i will be happy, i dont care.

Could i pm you on a totally different subject? just a short hardware question for dsm

image.thumb.png.16d986b4e73e95556ec204119b333d58.png