XPEnology Community

Main and Important 918+, fake error from SSD, Most likely Synology Compatibility. Need 2tb working urgently. Help please.

Captainfingerbang

Question

I am on 7.2 Ds918+ WITH REAL MAC SERIAL

i have a  few perfectly good 2tb micron 1100 ssd that's been in my Xpenology 3+ years only 1 giving me errors now, i've checked on many other devices and working perfectly. Its 1 2tb micron ssd. These are basically tanks to me.

But its ruining my one important volume/diskstation. The errors i am sure are due to drive not being on new "compatibility list". Please tell me how i can fix ssd not on compatibility Or what do you do about synology blocking compatibility of drives and their serials?

Tonight its gave me errors, took it out, change hardware id/serial temporarily and that worked, but then it did not work. Tried again, recognized drive but came back with errors.

Tried al sorts of tools in windows/linux. The drive is FINE... 

. Does anyone's software have ssd/hdd compatibility update fixer for drives for TCRP?

Have you seen this tool? https://www.reddit.com/r/synology/comments/11c4yby/script_to_add_synology_your_drives_to_your/?utm_source=embedv2&utm_medium=post_embed&utm_content=post_title&embed_host_url=https%3A%2F%2Fxpenology.com%2Fforum%2Findex.php

Please help I really look to all of your for advice in urgent situations, please

How do other people get around having to buy expensive Synology drives? I already PAID for the ds918 ONCE!

Here is my boot screen and my errors below that

566-Copy.thumb.jpg.9533a91a45462783c7c921a8879d4c84.jpg

2-Copy.thumb.jpg.59286117ef7bccae3cf189c73cf4eded.jpg1-Copy.thumb.jpg.535a8c1ddf506a65571675a4ba780fec.jpg

6 minutes ago, 007revad said:

So removing these lines in the default section didn't help?

I've thought about that too.
I would like to remove these 2 lines from the main section and test again.
It is risky to ask the person responsible for this post to do so.
This causes critical problems in SHR.

In order to test it myself, I own at least two of several disks and am looking for disks that are officially supported by Synology.
In the case of DS620slim, it was listed on the compatibility list as supporting Segate 2TB 2.5-inch HDD, so I conducted the test believing it.
This model did not exist in DS620slim's database.
I was fooled by Synology. LOL

I will search for the subject again and conduct the test as you suggested.

32 minutes ago, Peter Suh said:

In order to test it myself, I own at least two of several disks and am looking for disks that are officially supported by Synology.

One my HDD models was previously not on the supported list, but I notice it is now.

Checking my .db file shows this drive now includes:

"smart_test_ignore": false,
"smart_attr_ignore": false

I'm sure that previously only Synology drives included those lines.

5 hours ago, Peter Suh said:

Actually your Micron 1100 will be one of these two.

2023-12-2911_19_24.thumb.png.42fdc147f5d4e010a3117de28be2d88b.png

I think you will see this same message with genuine Synology products as well?
If you get this error message: “Unrecognized firmware version, please update the drive database.

What kind of processing was possible through the link according to the instructions?

2023-12-2912_03_41.png.be15add22e39a70aab11369c1f45ab32.png

My point was that my factory firmware is newer than the only fw avaialavle for that drive. I dont know. Just curious. I dont see why different sizes should have different fw versions though im sure it happens.

Anyways. Excellent github write-up very concise unlike me..

The part i dont understand is this:

I think you will see this same message with genuine Synology products as well?
If you get this error message: “Unrecognized firmware version, please update the drive database.”

Are you asking me if i get error messages like this for genuine synology products? Honestly i dont think i have any genuine products. Except the 2 ssd's

So i would not know. I'd be glad to test anything needed though. 

And AGAIN (below) i am sorry for my language barrier but can you explain this more for me? 

Which processing do you mean? Which link are you referring? And what instructions? Please forgive, i simply want to help and understand but i dont understand.

What kind of processing was possible through the link according to the instructions?

2 hours ago, 007revad said:

One my HDD models was previously not on the supported list, but I notice it is now.

Checking my .db file shows this drive now includes:

I'm sure that previously only Synology drives included those lines.

2023-12-295_33_08.thumb.png.e9b5f4bfd368ff7fcc3ded9b774d9fba.png

I have my DS920+ XPE with 7.2.1-69057 Update 3 installed.
Equipped with two WDC RED plus WD40EFZX-68AWUN0 4TB models.

As you can see, this model is officially supported by DS920+ and is a case that already exists in the DB.

The merge has been updated because an older version of the syno-hdd-db script is being used, and these two values are not applied as written in the script.

However, there are no major problems with these disks supported by the two compatibility lists installed.

It's a bit ironic.

It is difficult to predict which cases will cause problems.

One thing that is different from the Micron 1100 case is that the genuine product list already contains the firmware version.

Edited by Peter Suh

10 minutes ago, Captainfingerbang said:

My point was that my factory firmware is newer than the only fw avaialavle for that drive. I dont know. Just curious. I dont see why different sizes should have different fw versions though im sure it happens.

Anyways. Excellent github write-up very concise unlike me..

The part i dont understand is this:

Are you asking me if i get error messages like this for genuine synology products? Honestly i dont think i have any genuine products. Except the 2 ssd's

So i would not know. I'd be glad to test anything needed though. 

And AGAIN (below) i am sorry for my language barrier but can you explain this more for me? 

Which processing do you mean? Which link are you referring? And what instructions? Please forgive, i simply want to help and understand but i dont understand.

I'm curious as to whether the pop-up that appears when you click that link or the next step is something that helps you.
I've clicked on that link too, but I can't remember what I did.
Did you know that a pop-up appears when you click that orange message?

12 minutes ago, Peter Suh said:

I'm curious as to whether the pop-up that appears when you click that link or the next step is something that helps you.
I've clicked on that link too, but I can't remember what I did.
Did you know that a pop-up appears when you click that orange message?

Oh wow, here is a development!  though im like 100 percent sure Synology does not support this lower brand "Teamgroup" They don't like the firmware! But HEY  at LEAST they have firmware to upgrade! lol Page is in French must translate

https://www.touslesdrivers.com/index.php?v_page=12&v_code=1791#38

Ok i will click orange link and see what happens and report back

I've now got the message on two more identical drives. LMAO! "Teamgroup" 

image.thumb.png.8cfec51cfde4c9b463fea1b7c08d4011.png

Edited by Captainfingerbang

11 minutes ago, Captainfingerbang said:

Oh wow, here is a development!  though im like 100 percent sure Synology does not support this lower brand "Teamgroup" They don't like the firmware! But HEY  at LEAST they have firmware to upgrade! lol Page is in French must translate

https://www.touslesdrivers.com/index.php?v_page=12&v_code=1791#38

Ok i will click orange link and see what happens and report back

I've now got the message on two more identical drives. LMAO! "Teamgroup" 

image.thumb.png.8cfec51cfde4c9b463fea1b7c08d4011.png

We may be misunderstanding something.
Currently, all 10 of your disks may show the same message: Firmware version not recognized.
If my new script syno-hdd-db addon is used, at least one reboot may be required after first entering DSM after rebuilding the loader.
After rebooting, these messages disappear.

After rebooting, please check all 10 disks.

Edited by Peter Suh

27 minutes ago, Peter Suh said:

We may be misunderstanding something.
Currently, all 10 of your disks may show the same message: Firmware version not recognized.
If my new script syno-hdd-db addon is used, at least one reboot may be required after first entering DSM after rebuilding the loader.
After rebooting, these messages disappear.

After rebooting, please check all 10 disks.

not true. But this is what it looks like prior to rebooting

i will Now reboot and post again

Screenshot_20231229_043234_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20231229_043247_Chrome.jpg

33 minutes ago, 007revad said:

@Captainfingerbang This looks like DSM is updating the drive database after it's been edited.

@Peter Suh Are you running the script with the -n option?

Unlike rr I restructured the script in my own way using jq script.
It doesn't use your shell directly. Therefore, the -n option is also not used.

https://github.com/PeterSuh-Q3/tcrp-addons/blob/main/syno-hdd-db/src/install.sh

Following your instructions, I will also add the smart_test_ignore and smart_attr_ignore arguments.

https://github.com/PeterSuh-Q3/tcrp-addons/commit/068bd594fb6b07dec58d54d24c75182b9ff9399a

It's impossible for my addons to be pre-released, so I'll have to apply them right away and go through a lot of testing.

Edited by Peter Suh

5 minutes ago, Peter Suh said:

You should add the following to prevent DSM updating the drive databases, which it does after a DSM update and whenever a drive is inserted, and other seemingly random times.

synosetkeyvalue /etc.defaults/synoinfo.conf drive_db_test_url="127.0.0.1"
synosetkeyvalue /etc/synoinfo.conf drive_db_test_url="127.0.0.1"

11 minutes ago, 007revad said:

You should add the following to prevent DSM updating the drive databases, which it does after a DSM update and whenever a drive is inserted, and other seemingly random times.

synosetkeyvalue /etc.defaults/synoinfo.conf drive_db_test_url="127.0.0.1"
synosetkeyvalue /etc/synoinfo.conf drive_db_test_url="127.0.0.1"

I was looking at that part of your script.

Since the synosetkeyvalue command is probably not supported in DSM Junior mode,

I will need to supplement the script in another way. thank you for telling me.

1 minute ago, Peter Suh said:

I will need to supplement the script in another way. thank you for telling me

Something like this would work, if grep is available in DSM junior mode:

if ! grep 'drive_db_test_url="127.0.0.1"' /etc.defaults/synoinfo.conf; then echo 'drive_db_test_url="127.0.0.1"'; fi

drive_db_test_url does not exist in synoinfo.conf unless we've added it, so if it exists it will already be set to "127.0.0.1"

21 minutes ago, 007revad said:

Something like this would work, if grep is available in DSM junior mode:

if ! grep 'drive_db_test_url="127.0.0.1"' /etc.defaults/synoinfo.conf; then echo 'drive_db_test_url="127.0.0.1"'; fi

drive_db_test_url does not exist in synoinfo.conf unless we've added it, so if it exists it will already be set to "127.0.0.1"

There is no need to check it in advance in my script.
In Junior mode, it start from the initial state.
That value doesn't exist to begin with.

https://github.com/PeterSuh-Q3/tcrp-addons/commit/96b4c682ce9f4c62793bf43c5a4605ffb0330029

Edited by Peter Suh

@007revad

I applied everything you suggested to my syno-hdd-db addon script and tested it on DS920+ XPE.
Everything works fine as before without any problems.

@Captainfingerbang
I cannot guarantee whether there will be any improvement by rebuilding with this changed addon.
I think I need to re-write the firmware version for the micron 1100, but my script doesn't do that anymore. Just skip it.

Should I wait for another user with an empty micron 1100 to test it out?
That's the safest way, though.

5 hours ago, Peter Suh said:

@007revad

I applied everything you suggested to my syno-hdd-db addon script and tested it on DS920+ XPE.
Everything works fine as before without any problems.

@Captainfingerbang
I cannot guarantee whether there will be any improvement by rebuilding with this changed addon.
I think I need to re-write the firmware version for the micron 1100, but my script doesn't do that anymore. Just skip it.

Should I wait for another user with an empty micron 1100 to test it out?
That's the safest way, though.

Thanks for your time and efforts people...

Hey, while i have you experts at my disposal very briefly I need to ask you something that is under completely different subject but extremely important to me.

Prior to changing loaders I was still back on June's loader 1.04 B and basically had the same array of ssds in shr on dsm 6 but they eventually slowed and when I switched to TinyCOre or dsm7, whichever, it doesnt matter why, but my ssds got so slow that the Read speeds got down to roughly 250MB/s and write speeds maxed out at like 10MB/s, for every drive. 

It was roughly about 5 years on the same Xpenology build/ machine and I had never done data scrubbing and did not have the option for trim, and never repartitioned or anything! 

I forgot the exact method but I ended up taking the ssd's on windows 11, selecting defragment, and trim on each of them and the read and write speeds went back to 500MB/s read 500MB/s write, immediately after running trim. In fact now I remember somehow in Windows I used the defrag tool on each Drive and that's what did the trick.

Long story made short, it is been a long time since I have ran trim since my ds918 still does not allow trim, in 7.2 and drives are getting slow again

1. I would like to know what you think about this idea: 

i plan to boot a Linux LiveUSB (Ubuntu) on my DS918+, and use either blkdiscard or hdparm on my DS918+ SATA SSDs to TRIM them, all of them. 

If I can somehow run trim on 1 SSD at a time using linux I think it would be a safe bet, right?

2. I've never "Data Scrubbed" my ssds in Synology unless I've had to or was forced to. Is "Data scrubbing" the Synology way of doing trim on a drive or defragmenting it?

Either way I don't see this being dangerous... Do you or anyone else agree? OR does anyone have the exact ssh commands to manually run trim on each of my drives via SSH?????

p.s. this is what my drives look like now but used to be the BEST fastest.. like 500/500+

bench.png

Synology KB provides instructions on how to activate SSD TRIM. I don't know how many cases this activation is possible. I have never actually tried this activation. You may require a storage pool consisting solely of SSDs on the compatibility list, such as the micron 1100. 

https://kb.synology.com/en-global/DSM/help/DSM/StorageManager/volume_ssd_trim?version=7

And Synology also supports the hdparm command.