XPEnology Community

Can DSM be used with a intel N100 CPU?

Attanar

Hi.

I'm completely new to XPEnology, though I have been doing some research for a few days. I was thinking of building a small NAS at home, I want it mainly for storage, specially photos, maybe some streaming, but that would not be its main purpose. I was aiming at using an Asrock J5040 with passive cooling with a DC PSU + PicoPSU since I don't want any noise from it.

Then I've seen Asrock is about to release some new motherboards using N100 chip, which has a lower TDP and already integrates a DC input for 19V.

However, I cannot find any information about whether I can get to install DSM using a N100 chip. Searching for N100 won't throw any meaningful results.

Does anybody know if this is possible?

Thanks

Hi @Attanar, a couple of weeks ago I was in the same situation you are now. I considered some miniPC with a Celeron J1900 passively cooled but I found the ASRock J5040 and I decided to place there my bet. I'm really happy with the result at the moment, although the case I've bought (Unyka 1007) puts a little bit of noise because the pico PSU (150 W) has a 40 mm fan that's always spinning. Besides that, perfect option for what I wanted, test Synology Photos (it works really well).

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Attanar said:

OK thanks, I think I read something about Alder Lake not being supported yet by Synology so I was confused about this.

What might not being supported is Transcoding and stuff related to that. Installing DSM should not be a problem.

• Like 1

On 6/27/2023 at 2:48 PM, PerryMason23 said:

Hi @Attanar, a couple of weeks ago I was in the same situation you are now. I considered some miniPC with a Celeron J1900 passively cooled but I found the ASRock J5040 and I decided to place there my bet. I'm really happy with the result at the moment, although the case I've bought (Unyka 1007) puts a little bit of noise because the pico PSU (150 W) has a 40 mm fan that's always spinning. Besides that, perfect option for what I wanted, test Synology Photos (it works really well).

Thanks PerryMason, actually last week I read your post about J5040 and I saved it for future references :D

Also thanks @gadreel. I think I'm going to give the N100 a shot then, since I won't be doing live transcoding with it. If I need to I'll just probably set up some decoding software to convert video files before they are streamed.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Bullseye said:

With iGPU too? Which model should i use for iGPU working (DVA1622? ?

Please try using SA6400 with the loader you are comfortable with, whether it is rr or my mshell.
This is the topic of @MoetaYuko, who developed the transcoding i915 module for SA6400 last month.
He was the first to test and stabilize SA6400 transcoding on Alder Lake N100.
https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/69865-i915-driver-for-sa6400/

However, if the i226-v chipset is used in N100, the NIC chipset may become an issue.

On 1/10/2024 at 3:22 PM, vadimua757 said:

Yes, Asrock n100dc-itx is fully working with dsm 7.2

On 1/26/2024 at 3:23 PM, Visual_Serg said:

iGPU hw transcoding only works on plex for DS918+ (arc loader 24.1.17 + addon i915)

for other models the /dev/dri folder is empty ((

So no, Asrock N100 isnt fully working with dsm 7.2 :)

• 2 weeks later...
1 час назад, bustinex сказал:

I tried many loaders and many configurations with the ASRock N100DC-ITX but nothing. There is no way to start DSM.

Is there any particular configuration to do?

do you install it on a SATA drive? 

6 minutes ago, dj_nsk said:

do you install it on a SATA drive?

I start the loader from USB... the creation of the DSM is successful. When I reboot, I can't access the web page or find it with synology assistant. It seems like it's stuck. I can't even ping.

I don't get to the actual installation procedure...

currently I tried to change lan, exclude the sata controller and install an Ams1166 sata controller on m.2

nothing... I always get to the same point

40 минут назад, bustinex сказал:

I start the loader from USB... the creation of the DSM is successful. When I reboot, I can't access the web page or find it with synology assistant. It seems like it's stuck. I can't even ping.

I don't get to the actual installation procedure...

currently I tried to change lan, exclude the sata controller and install an Ams1166 sata controller on m.2

nothing... I always get to the same point

loader - on USB, yes. DSM OS - need SATA

I see: ASRock N100DC-ITX ==> Realtek 8111H ==> try to choose a bootloader and use the correct module in it, for example, according to this answer

[upd:] one more example - You need module r8168

Edited by dj_nsk

13 minutes ago, dj_nsk said:

caricatore - su USB, sì. Sistema operativo DSM: è necessario SATA

Vedo: ASRock N100DC-ITX ==> Realtek 8111H ==> prova a scegliere un bootloader e ad utilizzare il modulo corretto al suo interno, ad esempio, secondo questa risposta

I read and tried. I also disabled the integrated LAN and installed an Intel E1000 PCL-E LAN. Nothing. Same block.

I tried the loader you showed me. I have the same result.

52 минуты назад, bustinex сказал:

When I reboot, I can't access the web page or find it with synology assistant. It seems like it's stuck. I can't even ping.

is the monitor connected at this time? what is displayed on it?

Well, go through the settings in the BIOS - take into account the recommendations from here, turn off all the built-in devices you don't need

Edited by dj_nsk

10 minutes ago, dj_nsk said:

is the monitor connected at this time? what is displayed on it?

Well, go through the settings in the BIOS - take into account the recommendations from here, turn off all the built-in devices you don't need

Bios examined and disabled everything possible (e.g. com, lpt, etc... )
verified sata hotplug ok

I attach a photo of one of the thousand tests.
Regardless of the loader, LAN and sata controller I use, I always stop here.

The DSM kernel starts and then crashes... lan off and the only way is to turn everything off

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it. Before writing I usually do extensive research and testing. (it's not the first one I've installed) but this is sending me to the madhouse!

IMG_4969.jpg

Did You found solution, same board same problem....:(

On 2/5/2024 at 5:50 PM, bustinex said:

Bios examined and disabled everything possible (e.g. com, lpt, etc... )
verified sata hotplug ok

I attach a photo of one of the thousand tests.
Regardless of the loader, LAN and sata controller I use, I always stop here.

The DSM kernel starts and then crashes... lan off and the only way is to turn everything off

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it. Before writing I usually do extensive research and testing. (it's not the first one I've installed) but this is sending me to the madhouse!

IMG_4969.jpg

On 12/2/2024 at 16:43, Gburas said:

Hai trovato la soluzione, stessa scheda, stesso problema....:(

not yet, I'm trying them all... I also changed the type of DDR, HDD... nothing.. I still have to populate the m.2 slot but I have nothing to insert in it (although I doubt it will solve it)

On 5/2/2024 at 18:09, dj_nsk said:

Prova DS918+ o DS920+ e Addon i915 in Arc Loader.

Un altro esempio .

chiedere aiuto a chi è riuscito a lanciarsi

I tried both versions and I also asked those who succeeded... he didn't do anything special, he took the charger and installed it...

This thing is sending me to the mental hospital! hehehehe

6 часов назад, bustinex сказал:

I tried both versions and I also asked those who succeeded... he didn't do anything special, he took the charger and installed it...

This thing is sending me to the mental hospital! hehehehe

try searching in the BIOS settings, see the recommendations, etc.