XPEnology Community

A new HBA for a XPEnology DS3622xs+ on baremetal HPE Microserver Gen8

asaf

Hi guys,

I have a XPEnology DS3622xs+ on baremetal HPE Microserver Gen8 with 4x4TB RAID 5.

It's well known that Gen8 has 5 SATA ports but only 1&2 are 6Gbps and the 3&4&5 - 3Gbps.

So I want to have all four HDDs on 6Gbps and to have more than 4/5 HDDs.

Can anybody tell me which of these two will be more suitable:

IBM ServeRAID M5110 LSI SAS2208 8i with 1GB cache module

or

Dell LSI SAS 9200-8i 9210-8i 

Or can you recommend some other HBA?

Any input will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Edited by asaf

• 2 months later...
37 minutes ago, Vodka2014 said:

I have an LSI 9211-4i in IT Mode on a test system with some SAS Disks. I do plan on moving a HBA to my GEN8 that i want to get up and running. Just wanting on my new card so i can test on there as well. 

Please beware!

I bought an LSI 9207-8i in IT mode. It works pretty well BUT...

There is a BIG problem with HBA in DSM. No matter how orderly will you plug-in the disks, the HBA and the DSM for that matter will scramble them which I found to be VERY inconvenient.

That's why I bought a PCIe to SATA adapter and soon will exchange the HBA for the SATA adapter. It's everybody's experience that these adapters work rock solid with AHCI on the MoBo and in DSM, and every HDD will appear exactly where it's plugged in every time.

2 hours ago, asaf said:

Please beware!

I bought an LSI 9207-8i in IT mode. It works pretty well BUT...

There is a BIG problem with HBA in DSM. No matter how orderly will you plug-in the disks, the HBA and the DSM for that matter will scramble them which I found to be VERY inconvenient.

That's why I bought a PCIe to SATA adapter and soon will exchange the HBA for the SATA adapter. It's everybody's experience that these adapters work rock solid with AHCI on the MoBo and in DSM, and every HDD will appear exactly where it's plugged in every time.

Thanks what device did you get ? I need to check my test system to see if this is the case with the Disk Order.

20 minutes ago, Peter Suh said:

In DS3622xs+
This is a setting value that can prevent the order of the disks from getting mixed up.

[HBA - H200, H310 recommended settings]

DDSML, not EUDEV (only for M SHELL for TCRP)

"DiskIdxMap": "1000",
"SataPortMap": "12",
"SasIdxMap: "0",
"MaxDisks: "24"

So once the Loader is Built you add these settings or is this an whole manual step ? 

1 hour ago, Peter Suh said:

In DS3622xs+
This is a setting value that can prevent the order of the disks from getting mixed up.

[HBA - H200, H310 recommended settings]

DDSML, not EUDEV (only for M SHELL for TCRP)

"DiskIdxMap": "1000",
"SataPortMap": "12",
"SasIdxMap: "0",
"MaxDisks: "24"

Is there something similar for DS918+ ?

And LSI HBAs.

Edited by asaf

5 hours ago, Vodka2014 said:

Thanks what device did you get ? I need to check my test system to see if this is the case with the Disk Order.

I bought this   IOCREST PCIe Gen3 x4 to 5 Port SATA III adapter.

It's based on JMB585 chipset so it provides 5 native SATA ports.

Depending on your location there are other viable devices too.

Me personally soon I'll buy a M.2 to 5 SATA ports adapter also.

Something like this   SilverStone Technology SST-ECS07-5-Port-SATA-M.2-PCIe Memory Expansion Card   or this one   Xiwai NVME M-Key PCIe to SATA 5 Ports Adapter Expansion Card JMB585 2280

Everybody's experience here is that SATA connections through AHCI work rock solid in DSM.

Sadly this is not the case with HBAs...

Edited by asaf
  • Like 1

I am going to play with the settings when i rebuild the loader later or tomorrow and see if the disk mapping is all ok with me.

Also i am going to add that test LSI HBA that i have to my GEN8 and see what happens with everything. Keep you posted on this.

The HP P222 gets hot. my one is not used right now as i have my LSI in IT Mode and so far this works for me.

Keep you posted.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vodka2014 said:

I am going to play with the settings when i rebuild the loader later or tomorrow and see if the disk mapping is all ok with me.

Also i am going to add that test LSI HBA that i have to my GEN8 and see what happens with everything. Keep you posted on this.

The HP P222 gets hot. my one is not used right now as i have my LSI in IT Mode and so far this works for me.

Keep you posted.

Will greatly appreciate it if you share your experience!

Regarding the hot LSI HBA, obviously they are made for a full fledged rack servers where the air flow is so much stronger. That's why when put into a regular PC with a few fans it will get hot. I've managed to install a Noctua fan on the radiator of my LSI 9207-8i. This solved the problem with it getting hot.

Can share some pics if you're interested.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, asaf said:

Will greatly appreciate it if you share your experience!

Regarding the hot LSI HBA, obviously they are made for a full fledged rack servers where the air flow is so much stronger. That's why when put into a regular PC with a few fans it will get hot. I've managed to install a Noctua fan on the radiator of my LSI 9207-8i. This solved the problem with it getting hot.

Can share some pics if you're interested.

Sure will do and yes please

7 hours ago, Vodka2014 said:

Sure will do and yes please

First of all when 9207 arrived I replaced it's thermal paste.

It's a bit tricky because the original one will only come out by (gently) scraping it off.

The radiator is held on the chip by two screws.

I used the holes on the radiator which almost prerfectly are matching the holes on the fan to mount the fan + radiator on the card using longer screws compensating for the depth of the fan.

It looks like that.

9207-1.thumb.jpg.c55ee87594f5e595680ba60277f3a520.jpg

9207-2.thumb.jpg.a771f19ae1fe88911c6f9f506638e68e.jpg

9207-3.thumb.jpg.cdb9ddcf839985e3946e5c1a21b74d42.jpg

9207-4.thumb.jpg.2ac5dddbf87377acd56db66d707ca4cc.jpg

I provided some improvised insulation between the nuts and the board to protect it from physical and electrical damage.

I used Noctua NF-A4x20 PWM which is a static pressure optimised fan.

With just the original radiator 9207 was 70+ °C hot on idle.

With Noctua mounted in it was ~35 °C.

According to the documentation temperature range for the LSI SAS 9207-8i HBA operation is 0 °C to 55 °C (32 °F to 131 °F) (dry bulb).

Edited by asaf
  • Like 2

On 9/9/2023 at 5:54 PM, Peter Suh said:

Both are possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi @Peter Suh I have tried to find a way to add this but i am not sure where to add this as i have the Disk Shuffle issue as mentioned above.

Do i need to reboot and load the loader again and make changes or can i just make changes and save and reboot will it work. If so where do i do this please.

I am a Noob with all of this via CLI etc... so please just bear with me. 

Edited by Vodka2014

14 hours ago, Vodka2014 said:

Hi @Peter Suh I have tried to find a way to add this but i am not sure where to add this as i have the Disk Shuffle issue as mentioned above.

Do i need to reboot and load the loader again and make changes or can i just make changes and save and reboot will it work. If so where do i do this please.

I am a Noob with all of this via CLI etc... so please just bear with me. 

1.Select the menu to edit user config as shown below.

2023-09-123_18_19.png.710702283a46683ff8a73349acb610f4.png

2.When you enter the menu, it changes to editing mode as shown below.
Edit as shown below and move the focus to the OK button with the Tab key once.
Save and exit with the Enter key.
Be careful to avoid typos.

2023-09-123_19_49.png.5af853b9e6099d1f99c8836a9c0a7214.png

3.If it is changed normally, you will not be able to see the MaxDisks item.
You can check in the window at the bottom right that the remaining three items have changed.

2023-09-123_20_19.png.046342d00a9aec59fea37e6a01c8b7ef.png

4. Now please rebuild the loader.

• Like 3