XPEnology Community

BIOS raid0 or DMS raid0

qblee

6 часов назад, qblee сказал:

Hi all,

My motherboard can support RAID 0 configuration in the BIOS.

I have two 5TB hard drives and I'm wondering whether it's better to set up RAID 0 in the DSM (DiskStation Manager) or in the BIOS.

Thanks

Why do you need RAID 0? Is the speed and volume of the disks important to you, not the reliability of data storage?

9 hours ago, dj_nsk said:

Why do you need RAID 0? Is the speed and volume of the disks important to you, not the reliability of data storage?

I have two 5TB HDDs, and I want to use them to back up 9TB of data. RAID 0 is needed to provide enough space to accommodate the 9TB data for backup.

Thanks

15 минут назад, qblee сказал:

I have two 5TB HDDs, and I want to use them to back up 9TB of data. RAID 0 is needed to provide enough space to accommodate the 9TB data for backup.

then you can disable RAID on the motherboard and use JBOD or RAID 0 in DSM.

[upd]: this way you can manage your RAID without stopping/restarting the server

Edited by dj_nsk

On 6/14/2023 at 6:11 PM, qblee said:

independent from that, dsm is build around lvm2 and mdadm as software raid and single disks, depending on the raid hardware used there might not be a driver to use it with

dsm places a system partition on every disk as raid1 so as long as even one disks is still alive dsm will start and you can look for the raid (repair/restore)

lets assume to have a "hardware" raid of 3 disks then dsm would see one disk and it would end in a single system partition, in case 2 disks fail the hardware raid is broken and cant start, then its also no dsm to start, 3 separate disks would have 3 raid1 partitions for dsm system and 3 raid5 partitions, two fail and you would still be able to run dsm (and depending of the problems could try to repair the raid5 or "force" it to work and selvage data)

as for raid0 vs. jbod, in case of a one disk fail both will loose data but in raid0 all data will be lost and in jbod you would still be able to use recovery tools to get some data off the disk still working (and in most cases also from the 2nd faild disk - depending on how far you want to go, without raid0 way easier to dig into that as its just file system to reconstruct)

raid0 might gain some speed but with a 1 gbit network you will not see any of this, so no usable gain for the higher risk of data loss