XPEnology Community

Update procedure with ARPL and TCRP

ed_co

Question

Hello,

Now with the new loaders (ARPL and TCRP), there is no specific guides out there on how to update to a new version of DSM. And as they are not monolithic loaders anymore maybe the procedure is not trivial, so it should be great to have a guide on how to successfully update to a new versions of DSM.

After some explanation from knowledgable people, I understood we could separate in 2 kind of updates: when the DSM version kernel does not change (painless) and when the version kernel change (which could be difficult).

Ideally should be 4 procedures, 2 for each loader:

- ARPL painless update procedure

- ARPL difficult update procedure

- TCRP painless update procedure

- TCRP difficult update procedure

Can anyone, from ARPL and/or for TCRP could explain in steps (yep, a detailed step by step, non assuming anything guide could be the way to go), how to perform any of these procedures?

Thanks,

E.

18 answers to this question

TCRP difficult update procedure:

* Manually install 7.2

* reboot, wait for "synology is recoverable"

* Shutdown

* Rebuild usb key with TCRP 0.9.4.6 (I guess meaning of latest version)

* ./rploader.sh update now
* ./rploader.sh fullupgrade now
* ./rploader.sh serialgen DS918+ realmac
* ./rploader.sh identifyusb now
* ./rploader.sh satamap now
* ./rploader.sh backup
* ./rploader.sh build ds918p-7.2.0-64561 withfriend
* ./rploader.sh backup
* exitcheck.sh reboot

Based on Ozef update comments here:

If someone has any comment, correction or whatever, please let me know.

Three more procedures to go (or just one if the easy update procedure is trivial).
Thanks

Edited by ed_co

* Manually install 7.2
* Shutdown
* ./rploader.sh backup
* ./rploader.sh backup
* exitcheck.sh reboot

Three more procedures to go (or just one if the easy update procedure is trivial).
Thanks

TRCP has web version to compile loader. Only you need put the ip on the browser.

4 hours ago, apriliars3 said:

TRCP has web version to compile loader. Only you need put the ip on the browser.

First of all, thanks for your reply! Could you please be explicit with a step by step?, this is intended to be like a guide.
Do you know how to do it in the ARPL?

Thanks again!!

• Like 1

Hi, I think he meant the below

1. Boot up TCRP up to the point where you can see it prints out the IP Address. For example 192.168.1.15
  2. From a different computer within the same network, such as a laptop or another desktop.
    • Open up a browser: Firefox, Chrome, Edge etc
    • Type in the IP address from point 1. You might have to type in the protocol as http, i.e http://192.168.1.15
  3. TCRP Web will greet you and you go from there.

Hope this helps.

On 6/1/2023 at 2:37 AM, namvan said:

Hi, I think he meant the below

1. Boot up TCRP up to the point where you can see it prints out the IP Address. For example 192.168.1.15
  2. From a different computer within the same network, such as a laptop or another desktop.
    • Open up a browser: Firefox, Chrome, Edge etc
    • Type in the IP address from point 1. You might have to type in the protocol as http, i.e http://192.168.1.15
  3. TCRP Web will greet you and you go from there.

Hope this helps.

If this is the case, I think this is well known and we could assume this. Everyone having an xpenology/synology knows that. No new info then.

Anyway, it looks like for any given reason, is not very easy to get help to create a step by step guide for the ARPL and TCRP for easy and difficult procedure. There is no info about it out there to read and just wanted to throw some light. Tried in my previous thread too with no success, here: 

I am done trying. Thanks anyway

Edited by ed_co

Why do you want to reinvent the wheel :

https://github.com/fbelavenuto/arpl/blob/main/README.md

Then ARPL forks works the same way (ARC / ARPL-i18n)

And I already gave in the other topic how to do update with ARPL.

If you (reader, nothing personnal) can't understand this README, you just need to stay away from Xpenology.

Those who wants to use ARPL read ARPL thread, those you want to use TCRP (with or without MSHELL) read dedicated threads.

Just my 2 cents.

Edited by Orphée

Well said @Orphée. To @ed_co I might misread your requests in the thread but I can tell you that I had fun clicking around the web interface of TCRP. More to that, I also can tell you it is a lot more fun typing into the console over SSH to build the loader or even inside the Redpill itself. As you never know when you mistyped some letters and got a bad result. It is about playing and learning at the same time with xpenology for me. Reading the README.md is also very fun and feeling the effort from the dear developers like pocopico or those from the thorgroup. I am forever grateful to the work they were/are doing.

My take from last night as an example when trying to get some fun with the latest tcrp with all the errors. I reported it to pocopico github repo and could see he was working on other tickets there a couple of minutes ago. He even fixed the issue I reported after that so I can see it this morning. Had felt even more grateful :)

Now back to your point, if you feel like creating a step by step doco or something like that, I would suggest you to create a github repo to shape your initial findings and others can also contribute to it as you go. I might be better that way when the forum is scattered with info. It might sound crazy to some but losing time in the forum for stuff you can play with is part of the fun as well.😁

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Orphée said:

Why do you want to reinvent the wheel :

https://github.com/fbelavenuto/arpl/blob/main/README.md

Where, in this README, appears how to update to a new version of DSM?? Specially when the new version requires a change in the kernel (like from 7.1.1 to 7.2). I am assuming you have already install the 7.1.1 and you just want to UPDATE to 7.2.

Explain, where in that README? Because the previous question is the ONLY thing I am asking (updating), I know how the process of installation works, and I am not asking about how to install it from scratch. I know how to do it.

6 hours ago, Orphée said:

If you (reader, nothing personnal) can't understand this README, you just need to stay away from Xpenology.

Well, it is being for me since 2016, that I am using xpenology, with total success and ZERO problems. Before, as Jun's loader, was a MONOLITHIC loader, there was not a problem to update until 6.2.4 (I am still in DSM 6.2.3). I never had a problem updating.

When I wrote you, I was not referencing you personally but random user (I thought my ( ) was clear)

In ARPL thread I gave the very simple process to update from 7.1 to 7.2, as long as loader is updated for it (ARPL-i18n and ARC).

Edit : to be clearer, original ARPL dev in on hold/away. so officially, ARPL loader is not compatible with 7.2, but ARC and ARPL-i18n forks are 7.2 compatible.

Edited by Orphée

Hey @Orphée it is a general comment in a form of a question :D

As for my case, I am using a VM so just the loader alone is not enough. And this set up does not allow me to add a second SATA controller soI would need at least virtio. apcid is another minor thing but would be better to have it.

And a follow up with the links to the mentioned loaders

ARPL - ARC https://github.com/AuxXxilium/arc

ARPL - i18n https://github.com/wjz304/arpl-i18n

Thanks heap to the 2 authors/maintainers.

P.S. to @Orphée I ran a test with ARPL i18n and can do 7.2 now with virtio NIC and SAS disks although it was less fun with only hitting ENTER, no typing from console haha. Thanks for the reference info.

On 6/6/2023 at 1:55 AM, namvan said:

This is something that might be useful to you @ed_co when I was wandering in the forums

or a snap of it. By the way, thanks to @ozef.

Disclaimer: as everything else in life, use this at your own risk and I hope you would have some fun.

update-redpill.png

Do you realise this is exactly what I put in the third post, right?

On 5/30/2023 at 6:40 PM, ed_co said:

* Manually install 7.2

* Shutdown

* ./rploader.sh backup
* ./rploader.sh backup
* exitcheck.sh reboot

Thanks

how to do an in place upgrade of tcrp without having to flash the usb drive with a new tcrp.img file? is this possible?

I want to update my tcrp from 0.9.4.0 to the latest 0.9.4.9c but flashing the usb drive is not possible at the moment. thanks