XPEnology Community

NEW: Virtual DSM in Docker

kroese

I have allways the same issue, kvm is not supported on several systems Windows, Openmediavault, etc. or with the cpu. is it neccessary? How can install on several systems?

I have test it with:

- Windows 10/11 with WSL and docker desktop.

- Openmediavault 6 and kvm plugin.

On the two systems, I can´t mount docker because haven´t folder dev/kvm.

Thanks

1 hour ago, kroese said:

@apriliars3 That cpu supports KVM, because I have the same one and here it works. Maybe you have virtualization disabled in the BIOS? 

It´s a Dell Vostro 3510 of my work. I think is enabled on bios. Could be necessary enable on Windows?.

The same with old cpu Intel Core E7500 or similar, on Unraid I can´t mount docker with folder /dev/kvm and if I delete this lines, finish stop after a few minutes.

On OMV 6 I test it with AMD and the same issue, I think not available on bios or if possible to enable kvm and not works. I install plugin kvm without issues, but not works with dockers.

photo_2023-04-08_15-18-50.jpg

Edited by apriliars3

Not surprising at all, I don't think windows is an option.

I tried on proxmox host :

image.png.8b9e596539ec56176130e7a5377be786.png

I also tried on a Ubuntu VM (nested virtualization must be enabled:

image.png.26469e571381184d69570e283345a50c.png

Edit :

https://serverfault.com/questions/1043441/how-to-run-kvm-nested-in-wsl2-or-vmware#:~:text=To enable it%2C you must,virtualization in %2Fetc%2Fwsl.

Edited by Orphée

For me KVM works fine on Windows with Docker for Desktop and WSL2. And we both have exactly the same CPU model. So why yours doesnt support virtualization and mine does, is a mystery. The only logical explanation was if you disabled it in the BIOS, but you checked that already. So something must be wrong with the Win11 settings. Best is to follow Orphee's advice and check if it works on a Linux LiveCD.

2 hours ago, kroese said:

For me KVM works fine on Windows with Docker for Desktop and WSL2. And we both have exactly the same CPU model. So why yours doesnt support virtualization and mine does, is a mystery. The only logical explanation was if you disabled it in the BIOS, but you checked that already. So something must be wrong with the Win11 settings. Best is to follow Orphee's advice and check if it works on a Linux LiveCD.

Windows 11 ?

I'm on Win10 on my laptop and can't enable KVM even with the tutorial.

But I'm on 21H2 build 19044, the tutorial ask for Insider version 19645... so mine is not up to date enough.

https://github.com/microsoft/WSL/issues/9201

Last comment :

the WSL2 with " nested virtualization" only for Win11

the win10 it still can not work

PS. CPU is Intel or AMD the same

Edited by Orphée

• 3 weeks later...

Would be great if someone posted a "how to" to show complete newbies like myself on how to install/run this on Proxmox. And I do mean complete newbie to dockers and containers and Proxmox. If that is beyond the scope of this conversation, then maybe just a good reference on how to get started with dockers and containers that could assist with how to install this. Sorry if this is too much to ask here.

1 hour ago, Giesmo said:

Is it possible to set SN? Now it is - 0000000000000.

You must set the Docker environment variables HOST_SERIAL, GUEST_SERIAL and VM_NET_MAC for that. The last two you can find by creating an instance of VirtualDSM in VMM temporarily. And the first one is the SN of your NAS.

If you use the correct values then logging into your Synology account becomes possible.

On 4/30/2023 at 4:21 AM, MrEze said:

Would be great if someone posted a "how to" to show complete newbies like myself on how to install/run this on Proxmox.

I have no experience with Proxmox, so I cannot provide you the exact steps. Maybe another Proxmox user here can write them down.

This is, in my opinion, pointless to run it with proxmox.

Proxmox is made for run VMs and eventually CTs.

You don't want to install docker directly on proxmox host.

So once you consider you should run Virtual DSM inside a VM (like Ubuntu) running docker, then you easly understand there is no benefit compared with directly running TCRP/ARPL loader as a VM.

This Virtual DSM is really interesting on an environment where you actually don't have an hypervisor like proxmox/esxi.

If you feel proxmox is useful for Virtual DSM then you don't understand what proxmox and VDSM are for.

But again, this is just my opinion.

Edited by Orphée

16 minutes ago, Orphée said:

This is, in my opinion, pointless to run it with proxmox.

I agree that its a bit pointless to use Proxmox for this container. But many people do it, so I think the reason is that they already have a machine in their house dedicated to Proxmox VE. If they want to run the docker container on that machine, their only option is too install it inside a Proxmox VM.

The reason why they don't install Xpenology on that machine may be that my container has a completely unmodified version of DSM (so no bootloaders, kernel modules, etc.). So the chance something breaks when updating DSM to newer versions is a lot smaller.

But you are right that the primary advantage for this container is that it does not need something like Proxmox.

9 hours ago, Rayqusa said:

So, if my devices doesn't support kvm, I must enable debug? 

If you set DEBUG the container will skip the check for KVM yes. But it will run very slowly because there is no hardware acceleration, so it's not recommended.

What device do you have that it does not support KVM? Because almost every device can support it.

5 hours ago, kroese said:

If you set DEBUG the container will skip the check for KVM yes. But it will run very slowly because there is no hardware acceleration, so it's not recommended.

What device do you have that it does not support KVM? Because almost every device can support it.

Vultr. lmao. for backing up task. my home internet is slow