XPEnology Community

Install DSM 7 as well as upgrade to new HDDs

Hi

I wanted to ask fellow users to advise me for my scenario. I read  Tutorial: Install/Migrate to DSM 7.x with TinyCore RedPill (TCRP) Loader but I am still confused.

I am currently running DSM 6.2.3-25426 Update 3 (Jun 1.04b / DS918+) on Lenovo V520 tower PC which has 2x4TB disks.

I want to update to DSM 7 as well as replace existing HDDs with 2x 8TB HDDs. Ideally I would like to preserve my volumes, shares settings etc and the data.

Given my scenario is it better to update from Jun 1.04b DS918+ to RedPill 1a (DS918+) in place or do a clean install?

I have read the Migration section of the guide but it only talks about updating the DSM and not the replacing the disks so I am bit confused how to go about doing it.

BTW, a fellow xpenology user suggested the following on reddit. I was going to follow that process until I read about DRIVE SLOT MAPPING in the this tutorial. Which got me confused if the below process will work for me or not. Any advise will be much appreciated.

Step 1: install DSM with 1 disk, to be on the safe side, do not plug any disk with data. Just a disk for OS.

Step 2: after OS installed and you can login to DSM7, plug in data disk direct to SATA connector or USB dock - it’s up to you.

Go to storage manager and you will see your data disk there ready to be adopted. Follow the instructions by just clicking next and next. As long as there is no warning like the disk will be deleted or anything like that - no data will be gone.

Edited by peter_pan

• peter_pan changed the title to Install DSM 7 as well as upgrade to new HDDs

This is what I would do if I only had one NAS and two drives in a RAID 1 configuration, and I assume you have a backup of your data and settings:

Get a new USB stick and follow this guide: https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/65408-automated-redpill-loader-arpl/ 

With ARPL you don't have to worry about Drive Slot Mapping, even if you build the DS920+

Then migrate your drives to the updated NAS and allow it to scrub.. or not.

Then power down and add one of your new drives to the pool. I see your motherboard only has three SATA ports so do one drive at a time.

This will take a long time so the next day you can remove one of the smaller drives  from your system, then power down again and replace it with the other new drive.

Reboot and repair your system. Its tedious, but adding the new drive first is the safest route incase you do loose a drive in the process.