XPEnology Community

Noob - update DSM safely? - TCRP vs ARPL

asheenlevrai

Question

Hi :)

I followed the guide from @flyride and installed DSM7.1.-42661 update 1 on bare metal as a DS918+.

Now I get notifications about DSM updates, obviously (updates are set to manual, as recommended). I can see in the "DSM Updates Reporting" section that several users report successfully upgrading up to DSM 7.1.1-42962 Update 2 on bare metal. However, I noticed that the version of the loader they use is different from mine AFAICT.

- I use TinyCore-RedPill v0.9.3.0 (TCRP)

- They use Automated RedPill Loader 0.5 alpha-1 (ARPL)

I am not familiar with the different loader options (actually I just realized there were several options). Thus I don't know the pros and cons of ARPL vs TCRP nor if it is possible to switch from one to the other.

How can I find out what version of DSM I can upgrade to if I remain on TCRP? This post mentions 7.1.0-42661 but I guest it could become out of date at some point, right?

Should I switch to ARPL or is this considered alpha territory? (TCRP is still in beta AFAICT)

Also I have not figured out yet if DSM updates can safely be performed from within DSM or if the loader needs to be updated before each DSM update. AFAIU it may be different from what it was like on DSM6 using Jun's loader, right?

Thank you very much in advance for your help, advice or any kind of feedback. I appreciate it :)

Best,

-a-

6 answers to this question

Now I get notifications about DSM updates, obviously (updates are set to manual, as recommended). I can see in the "DSM Updates Reporting" section that several users report successfully upgrading up to DSM 7.1.1-42962 Update 2 on bare metal. However, I noticed that the version of the loader they use is different from mine AFAICT.

- I use TinyCore-RedPill v0.9.3.0 (TCRP)

- They use Automated RedPill Loader 0.5 alpha-1 (ARPL)

I am not familiar with the different loader options (actually I just realized there were several options). Thus I don't know the pros and cons of ARPL vs TCRP nor if it is possible to switch from one to the other.

ARPL is basically TCRP with WebUI and automatic patcher, useful for live updates (but I heard newer version of "TCRP with friends" now supports live update too. I haven't tried it). There's no significant difference between both distribution, beside the fact that ARPL have WebUI that can be accessed within network.

Switching between loaders will need you to rebuild the loader. You just need to carry over the same parameters (like SN/MAC) if you plan to switch, and your instance should work as it should (unless you use different SN/MAC, it will just do migration).

How can I find out what version of DSM I can upgrade to if I remain on TCRP? This post mentions 7.1.0-42661 but I guest it could become out of date at some point, right?

Just check within TCRP command by issuing "./rploader.sh" without parameter. It will print currently supported platforms and DSM version. Or you can select from any available DSM version and platform from easy-to-use WebUI if you use ARPL.

Should I switch to ARPL or is this considered alpha territory? (TCRP is still in beta AFAICT)

It is up to you. Don't forget to test your build on VM before you apply it to production.

Also I have not figured out yet if DSM updates can safely be performed from within DSM or if the loader needs to be updated before each DSM update. AFAIU it may be different from what it was like on DSM6 using Jun's loader, right?

If you use TCRP (without friends), you will need to execute postupdate command within TinyCore desktop

./rploader.sh postupdate <your current platform>

If you use ARPL, ARPL will do everything for you upon reboot. TCRP with friends should do the same.

• Thanks 1

On 12/8/2022 at 1:50 PM, kekesed97 said:

Switching between loaders will need you to rebuild the loader. You just need to carry over the same parameters (like SN/MAC) if you plan to switch, and your instance should work as it should (unless you use different SN/MAC, it will just do migration).

Hey :)  @kekesed97

In order to make a new loader, can I just boot on the current USB dongle but in TCRP rather than into the DSM loader that was previously built? And then from TCRP "overwrite" the current loader with a new one?

Or should I start from scratch (with a new USB dongle or after erasing the one I am currently using)?

Thanks for your help :)

-a-

Do you know where I could find more information about TCRP "with friends"?

This sounds like an interesting option

i forget where the discussion thread are. i think it's in jun's mode development thread, but i can be wrong.

In order to make a new loader, can I just boot on the current USB dongle but in TCRP rather than into the DSM loader that was previously built? And then from TCRP "overwrite" the current loader with a new one?

Or should I start from scratch (with a new USB dongle or after erasing the one I am currently using)?

whichever is fine. if you want to "upgrade", i.e. making DSM think you're upgrading from same machine, you will need to carry over your current platform, SN and MAC to the new loader.

if you want to migrate, you can just build a new loader and DSM will detect it as "Migrate".

whichever is fine, but it's better to test in VM before you apply to your box, in case something went south.

Edited by kekesed97

On 12/8/2022 at 1:50 PM, kekesed97 said:

If you use TCRP (without friends), you will need to execute postupdate command within TinyCore desktop

./rploader.sh postupdate <your current platform>

Coud you eleborate a bit more on this or on how to use tcrp with friends? In above I should reboot system enter tinycore desktop enter that line and thats it??  then boot into the synology and try to update via update and restore???

On 8/23/2023 at 5:49 AM, southernsun said:

Coud you eleborate a bit more on this or on how to use tcrp with friends? In above I should reboot system enter tinycore desktop enter that line and thats it??  then boot into the synology and try to update via update and restore???

I kinda forget what do they do, but someone asked that question in the past, so I'll leave the link here.

It is a parameter you add with the build command, i.e.

./rploader.sh build broadwellnk-7.1.1-42962 withfriend

This will bring all the necessary components for Jot/jun mode to add automatic update support. And yes, you can update via "Update and Restore" menu with withfriend installed.