XPEnology Community

Add additional NIC in DSM7

bitsbc

Hi all, I'm new here and happy to be part of the Xpenlology community! :)

I just built a "DS920+" on Xpenlology using Redpill and it works great, except that the NIC I wanted to use to connect to the internet is an Onboard NIC and while it shows up in DSM, plugging a cable in does not work, it says the cable is unplugged. Driver issue? It's an Intel onboard NIC

I wanted to avoid that issue by simply installing an addon PCI NIC. I had a spare 1gbps NIC  w/ Realtek chip laying around so I plugged it in, booted it up but it's not recognized by the OS. 

The only way I can hook up to this is with SFP+ direct to my Workstation. 

How can I get this new Ethernet NIC recognized in DSM 7?

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/4/2022 at 9:46 AM, bitsbc said:

I just built a "DS920+" on Xpenlology using Redpill and it works great, except that the NIC I wanted to use to connect to the internet is an Onboard NIC and while it shows up in DSM, plugging a cable in does not work, it says the cable is unplugged. Driver issue? It's an Intel onboard NIC

I wanted to avoid that issue by simply installing an addon PCI NIC. I had a spare 1gbps NIC  w/ Realtek chip laying around so I plugged it in, booted it up but it's not recognized by the OS. 

The only way I can hook up to this is with SFP+ direct to my Workstation.

you are to unspecific about your hardware, what board, what nic's (chip, maybe its dual or quad port?), a PCI (not PCIe) 1G nic might be considered "exotic" by now, imho if its a pci chip then its a r8169 (that driver seems to be present in tcrp extensions https://github.com/pocopico/rp-ext/tree/main/r8169/releases (so maybe more of a detection problem?)

maybe give us a "lspci -v" so we can see what the hardware is

you can try to do that in the loader (tinycore as OS) and in DSM and compare that (or instead of tc you can boot a live/recovery linux from usb, that one will have a lot of drivers ready on boot)

the basic thing about ds920+ will be that by its software configuration (synoinfo.conf) it will only support up to 4 nic's (but i dont think that would be a problem with just one or two onboard nic ports and one or two added

On 12/4/2022 at 9:46 AM, bitsbc said:

How can I get this new Ethernet NIC recognized in DSM 7?

the normal way with tcrp and arpl might be to re-run the loader (latest version) and let it re-detect your hardware, drivers are handled as optional "extensions" and are only added when the loader is in configuration phase (the old approach in jun's loader was to just try to load all the drivers at any boot)

• Thanks 1

• 7 months later...

@IG-88 Thanks for the response. I was in Bali the last few months and just now got back home to my system. I booted into TCRP and it was able to see the NIC, it even got an IP and I was able to ping both the gateway and the internet with it. Confirming the hardware works there. Rebooting into the RedPill Loader and into DSM, it does not see it.

I've attached a copy of lspci -v in the attached text file. 

Maybe I'm doing something wrong though, how would I have TCRP Re-detect hardware?  

lspci.txt