XPEnology Community

RS3413xs+ user introduction

pnerd

Hello Xpenology people.  I'd like to introduce myself on this first post now that the site is back up.  I have a RackStation RS3413xs+ and the RX1211RP expansion bay.  What I don't have is the USB DOM flash drive.  I think it got corrupted long ago and was removed for troubleshooting and then lost to the ages.  Synology support hasn't been able to help in letting me buy a replacement boot flash.  This seems to be the best community of people that might be able to help.

1) I am able to boot the machine from USB or one of the 2.5" bays hidden behind the display door.  I have booted and installed FreeNAS, TrueNAS and lunbuntu successfully from USB.  I even replaced the Xeon CPU with an i7 4770K so now I have video output and not run quite as blind.

2) Does anyone have an actual image of the boot flash from the RS3413xs+ that they can make or point me to?  This would seem to be the easiest method.  I figure I can write this to a thumb drive and boot and restore DSM.  I'm not clear if I have to edit the VID/PID in this case.  I will eventually get a real USB DOM and write the bootrom there and restore this machine to the original condition.

3) Alternatively, should I treat this as a pure Xpenology install?  Which version should I use?  Should I substitute an actual Synology RS3413xs+ kernel?  I probably can't mix and match between the kernels bundled with the Xpenology bootloaders and an official one.  I don't know grub well enough (yet) on how to update the kernel.

Any advice and pointers appreciated.  I am still early in learning how DSM and Xpenology works.

Edited by pnerd
Added small details

As for the Rack Station Xpenology models, I have built two models so far.

RS4021xs+ and RS3618xs.

The biggest difference between the two models is the dual PSU and single PSU.

Currently, RedPill's coding for the dual PSU has not been completed.

After installing DSM, you will see a power warning message.

RS3618xs does not.

RS3413xs+ can also be added as the next Rack Station Xpenology model if you wish.

However, the warning message due to the dual PSU does not seem to disappear even with this model.

Would you like to try installing RS3618xs by referring to the post below?

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/64347-rs3618xs-single-psu-loader-development-thread/

Edited by Peter Suh

I read your post slowly again.

In the end, it is for the purpose of restoring real synology.

The USB bootloader for Redpill may be used temporarily.

If Synology works perfectly, wouldn't the USB bootloader be unnecessary and the power warning would also go away?

What do you think?

Should I add RS3413xs+?

Peter -- Thank you for the reply.  I will try Redpill.  I need to study the install procedure.  Please do add RS3413xs+ to the supported configs.

Right now I have experimented with various older bootloaders on a thumb drive and I can get the Synology restore assistant web page to load and with the older 5.x versions, I can even get it to say DSM is installed but on reboot, it never boots into DSM, only into the restore assistant.

One basic conceptual question that I am unclear on -- when I install DSM via the restore assistant, I must have a separate sata drive installed.  However, I never actually see any files on the sata drive.  It appears console log a bunch of updates on that first reboot, so perhaps the install files are being written to the thumb drive?  I have set the VID/PID properly.

Since there is an official Synology linux kernel, should I be able to swap the zImage file in, after I get Redpill and DSM working?

I've never been interested in the case of using the XPENOLOGY bootloader on a genuine Synology, so I've posted an inquiry on the Korean forum where I work.
If another NAS OS is installed, XPENOLOGY seems not to be impossible.

I don't have a genuine Synology yet, so I'm not familiar with how the restore assistant works.

Please understand that I can only explain based on my experience at XPENOLOGY. By SATA Drive do you mean something like SataDom of MSata type?

Then, it is not necessary to boot from SataDom, can't you change the boot order to USB first?
It seems that this part should be possible with the highest priority, so that SataDom can be excluded and Redpill can be used only with USB.

Only Rp-ext of RS3413xs+ is ready now.

https://github.com/PeterSuh-Q3/rp-ext

I will be the first to share when RS3413xs+ becomes available with M SHELL.
If this process is completed, wouldn't it be necessary to replace the zimage file?

Edited by Peter Suh
  • Thanks 1