XPEnology Community

error since removal USB drive 6.1 Jun's Mod V1.02-alpha

roselinoo

hi there..

I plugged my USB stick containing DS3615xs 6.1 Jun's Mod V1.02-alpha in another machine in an attemp to install DSM 6.1 on the other machine. I did not complete the installation

Then I placed the usb stick back in my old machine that was working flawlessly prior to this and now in synology assistant i don't see the name of the server (just Diskstation) and  " migratable " ..  If use web assistant .. i'm greeted with the words  " welcome back. install.. we have noticed that the disks of your current DS3615XS have been moved. Before you continue.. etc etc. " .    What tot do ? thank you.. Frank

Edited by roselinoo

Each install modifies the USB stick.  What you did was not ideal as it broke the connection between your loader and your installed system.

So the DSM stub on the loader now no longer recognizes the system you have and is offering to migrate it so that it can work with it again.

Your option is to Migrate.  You can also burn a brand new loader and boot that and it will try to Migrate that one as well.

On 6/19/2022 at 8:35 AM, roselinoo said:

ok. thank you. so the option to migrate is save ? I only need to use the official PAT file of a DS3615XS to install ?

you have two options

the thing that was changed on the usb was just rd.gz and zImage on the 2nd partition

you can "downgrade" the kernel files on usb to a lower dsm version, in this case you would replace the newer files by the files in jun's original loader, these where "15047"

when booting with these older kernel files the synology assistant should suggest to fix it and this step would copy the kernel files from the disk installed system to the usband you would be back to what you had before

the other way would be to install the last possible version of dsm 6.1 aka updating the system on the disk to a newer dsm version

and there might also be a 2nd problem, when using the same usb (or a clone of the usb) to run two dsm systems they would both have the same grub.cfg and in there are the mac's of the nic's and if you run with two systems using the same mac's you can have kind of interesting network problems

ps: 1.02 alpha might contain problems, the suggested loader would be 1.02b for dsm 6.1

as @IG-88 says. Your loader is very old.

1. If you want to keep your loader as is, install the same DSM version PAT file 6.1-15047.
  2. If you want to use the latest 6.1 version, replace your loader with a more current one Jun 1.02b and install DSM 6.1.7-15284
  3. Other option is 1.03b and DSM 6.2.3-25426 (not 6.2.4... that version is not supported)
  4. Or TCRP loader and DSM 7.1-42661

I recommend options #1 or #2 since you seem unfamiliar with current install process, and your data is in the balance.

FMI

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/13333-tutorialreference-6x-loaders-and-platforms/

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/61634-dsm-7x-loaders-and-platforms/

hi guys . thanks for your help..  and yes.. my data is in the balance.. :)

I burned my old (very) old loader img to a new USB stick and managed to reconnect to the NAS.

Next step wil be to create another Xpenology box (probably trying to see if i can get a DSM 7 loader on that)  and then  hopefully i can use rsync to sync the 2..

thanks for all the help !