G33RT

Login & Password for DS1815+ connect via serial console ?

Recommended Posts

Hi,

 

Does anyone happen to know the Login & Password when connect via serial console ?

 

My DS1815+ does have no ethernet anymore.
It gives a failure when loading the 4-Port Ethernet driver and I like to try fix this.
And Yes, I already tried in Syno-forum's but no help from there.

 

This is the error I get:
 

:: Loading module igb[   14.128354] Intel(R) Gigabit Ethernet Network Driver - version 5.3.5.3
[   14.135657] Copyright (c) 2007-2015 Intel Corporation.
[   14.141711] igb 0000:00:14.0: Hardware Initialization Failure
[   14.148195] igb: probe of 0000:00:14.0 failed with error -5
[   14.154666] igb 0000:00:14.1: Hardware Initialization Failure
[   14.161155] igb: probe of 0000:00:14.1 failed with error -5
[   14.167622] igb 0000:00:14.2: Hardware Initialization Failure
[   14.174112] igb: probe of 0000:00:14.2 failed with error -5
[   14.180572] igb 0000:00:14.3: Hardware Initialization Failure
[   14.187061] igb: probe of 0000:00:14.3 failed with error -5

 

The strange thing is that it load an Intel driver but the DS1815+ has an Marvell Alaska 88E1543-LKJ2 Chip for the ethernet.

 

Any info that may help, please !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

depending on your dsm version, the the 'admin/root' account will have been disabled, but you should be able to telnet/serial to the device with the account you created as your replacement 'admin' account and its password. you might be able to get a basic network connection with a wifi dongle add on, to help diagnostics, or backup

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, G33RT said:

Marvell Alaska 88E1543

thats a PHY chip also used on intel based nic's, its referenced in trh igb driver source to i guess igb.ko is ok for your unit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/25/2020 at 11:40 PM, sbv3000 said:

depending on your dsm version, the the 'admin/root' account will have been disabled, but you should be able to telnet/serial to the device with the account you created as your replacement 'admin' account and its password. you might be able to get a basic network connection with a wifi dongle add on, to help diagnostics, or backup

 

I have managed to login with names as admin as also root via the serial console.
Don't now if I realy have root access though !?


Unfortunately it synodsdefault does not work as it is not in /usr/syno/sbin/

Can someone advice my how to factory reset this box by command as it is not possible by reset switch.

 

 

23 hours ago, IG-88 said:

thats a PHY chip also used on intel based nic's, its referenced in trh igb driver source to i guess igb.ko is ok for your unit

 

Okay, so it is infact an intel driver for that Marvell chip,  I dident know that.

my linux knowledge is limited, can you suggest something i can try?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, G33RT said:

Okay, so it is infact an intel driver for that Marvell chip,  I dident know that.

my linux knowledge is limited, can you suggest something i can try?

you might read this to understand PHY?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PHY

 

On 4/25/2020 at 4:19 PM, G33RT said:

My DS1815+ does have no ethernet anymore.

how did you loose it?

igb v5.3.5.3 is the "normal" driver version used by synology and i'd expect them to use a driver that supports there own hardware so maybe your 4port onboard nic died?

btw. the INTEL Atom C2538 soc already contains the network 4 port chip it just need the PHY for the physical interface, so the netwerk part in the soc is the one found by the igb driver

 

Edited by IG-88
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But what causing the driver to fail, that I don't understand.
I doubt that the hardware is defective, I have meassure the 3 main voltages on the Marvel chip ald these are all good.
Can I determine somehow why the driver failed to load ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

a silly idea perhaps, but could you remove your raid disks, boot with no disks and see if the network is ok?

not sure of the boot process but imagine that with no disks the unit boots with dom based drivers for 'basic' connectivity, but once DSM is installed it uses drivers from the .pat file. if the DSM driver is 'corrupt' then fails to load. Above could also identify if network hardware has failed?

Next step would be to install DSM to a spare/new HDD, check that works, if so you just need to 'repair' on the raid drives 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, G33RT said:

I doubt that the hardware is defective, I have meassure the 3 main voltages on the Marvel chip ald these are all good.

if you already opened it you can also try to unconnect the usb dom and boot a live linux or even try to boot xpenology loader to check the network

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, sbv3000 said:

a silly idea perhaps, but could you remove your raid disks, boot with no disks and see if the network is ok?

not sure of the boot process but imagine that with no disks the unit boots with dom based drivers for 'basic' connectivity, but once DSM is installed it uses drivers from the .pat file. if the DSM driver is 'corrupt' then fails to load. Above could also identify if network hardware has failed?

Next step would be to install DSM to a spare/new HDD, check that works, if so you just need to 'repair' on the raid drives 

 

I tried that all no luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, IG-88 said:

if you already opened it you can also try to unconnect the usb dom and boot a live linux or even try to boot xpenology loader to check the network

 

 

😮 are you kidding me, you can do that !?
you mean the small print with the flash chip with the label DS1815+ on it ?
are there any tutorials (step-by-step) instructions available of this procedure ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, G33RT said:

are you kidding me, you can do that !?
you mean the small print with the flash chip with the label DS1815+ on it ?
are there any tutorials (step-by-step) instructions available of this procedure ?

on most (all?) pictures i've seen the flash module seemed to be removable and was plugged to a usb onboard connector

it looks like this for you unit from this photo

https://tpucdn.com/review/synology-ds1815plus/images/in_flash_small.jpg

 

in fact the usb boot media we are using for xpenology is used the same way as the original, the update process (in dsm) stores its new kernel for booting there the same way it would on a original unit, for dsm all looks like a valid original units an all the update process is running the same way as on a original unit

 

on 2nd thought

you can unplug it for sure, it uses f400 for usb vid and pid, i cant remember it you need to have this vid/pid for booting (the bios might look for it)

its possible to change the vid/pid with some tools and the right flash controller (the same way they do it in "factory's" in china)

there are 1 or 2 threads about this but afaik it was more about replacing the original dom with a usb and still use the original firmware for this unit in question

 

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/9897-flash-transplant/

 

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/12264-ds1511-running-xpenology/

 

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/9787-%D0%B2%D0%BE%D1%81%D1%81%D1%82%D0%B0%D0%BD%D0%BE%D0%B2%D0%BB%D0%B5%D0%BD%D0%B8%D0%B5-%D0%B7%D0%B0%D0%B3%D1%80%D1%83%D0%B7%D0%BE%D1%87%D0%BD%D0%BE%D0%B9-%D1%84%D0%BB%D0%B5%D1%88%D0%BA%D0%B8-%D0%BD%D0%B0-ds1511/

 

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/13264-trying-to-fetch-dsm-60-on-a-ds1010/

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After thoroughly inspecting the motherboard, I found a component around the Marvell chip that has partly come loose.
The component description says "CE5"
After a re-soldering, the device works again.

 

Now the NIC boot looks like this:

 

[   26.221643] Intel(R) Gigabit Ethernet Network Driver - version 5.3.5.3
[   26.228957] Copyright (c) 2007-2015 Intel Corporation.
[   27.588010] igb 0000:00:14.0: added PHC on eth0
[   27.593104] igb 0000:00:14.0: Intel(R) Gigabit Ethernet Network Connection
[   27.600815] igb 0000:00:14.0: eth0: (PCIe:integrated:integrated)
[   27.607667] igb 0000:00:14.0 eth0: MAC: 00:a0:c9:00:00:00

[   27.613793] igb 0000:00:14.0: eth0: PBA No: 002100-000
[   27.620377] igb 0000:00:14.0: LRO is disabled
[   27.625257] igb 0000:00:14.0: Using MSI-X interrupts. 1 rx queue(s), 1 tx queue(s)
[   28.986059] igb 0000:00:14.1: added PHC on eth1
[   28.991141] igb 0000:00:14.1: Intel(R) Gigabit Ethernet Network Connection
[   28.998899] igb 0000:00:14.1: eth1: (PCIe:integrated:integrated)
[   29.005727] igb 0000:00:14.1 eth1: MAC: 00:a0:c9:00:00:01
[   29.011858] igb 0000:00:14.1: eth1: PBA No: 002100-000
[   29.018457] igb 0000:00:14.1: LRO is disabled
[   29.023330] igb 0000:00:14.1: Using MSI-X interrupts. 1 rx queue(s), 1 tx queue(s)
[   30.385164] igb 0000:00:14.2: added PHC on eth2
[   30.390255] igb 0000:00:14.2: Intel(R) Gigabit Ethernet Network Connection
[   30.397964] igb 0000:00:14.2: eth2: (PCIe:integrated:integrated)
[   30.404797] igb 0000:00:14.2 eth2: MAC: 00:a0:c9:00:00:02
[   30.410922] igb 0000:00:14.2: eth2: PBA No: 002100-000
[   30.417495] igb 0000:00:14.2: LRO is disabled
[   30.422374] igb 0000:00:14.2: Using MSI-X interrupts. 1 rx queue(s), 1 tx queue(s)
[   31.783311] igb 0000:00:14.3: added PHC on eth3
[   31.788409] igb 0000:00:14.3: Intel(R) Gigabit Ethernet Network Connection
[   31.796115] igb 0000:00:14.3: eth3: (PCIe:integrated:integrated)
[   31.802940] igb 0000:00:14.3 eth3: MAC: 00:a0:c9:00:00:03
[   31.809058] igb 0000:00:14.3: eth3: PBA No: 002100-000
[   31.815634] igb 0000:00:14.3: LRO is disabled
[   31.820510] igb 0000:00:14.3: Using MSI-X interrupts. 1 rx queue(s), 1 tx queue(s)

20200428_152056.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.