XPEnology Community

[SOLVED] Advise from the experts needed

Burner1977

Hello everybody,

I am thinking of setting op my rig with the gnoboot and dsm 5.0. I was wondering what the best setup is:

- 128GB Samsung Pro SSD for DSM and a separate HDD for the shares and data

- 128GB Samsung Pro SSD for caching and a separate HDD for DSM and the data and shares

Thx for the advise

Cheers

Burner1977

Edited by Guest

Hi,

1. DSM will mirror itself on all HDDs at installation

2. SHR-1 is recommended, meaning RAID5. Personally i would do it with 4HDDs in order to take benefit of more storage space (http://www.synology.com/en-us/support/RAID_calculator)

3. Recommendation is to prepare a rig with 4x HDDs (or more) and 1x SSD for Cache

4. Connect the NAS to a UPS and activate Write cache

Game over! That's 120MB/s writing/reading. MINIMUM!

DSM is loaded into memory and very little IOPS was used after fully boot up because only if you change the configuration will the I/O happen.

Meanwhile I believe DSM was installed on every HDD initialized to avoid one HDD crashing cause system not booting up any more, that was how it was design and no you cannot choose which storage to install DSM on.

If you mean the bootable device you are using, that is just some Linux kernel DSM rely on, no I/O happen to it after DSM was initialized, put it on SSD won't boost your system speed.

Unlike ESXi and some other Server OS, since DSM is very small, most of the time it was fully loaded into your memory, you can even remove the bootable device after you fully boot your XPEnology if you wish.

Hello Schnapps and jokies,

Thank you both for your advise.

@Schnaps. I am only running a small rig for home use and the casing only has room for 2 2,5" disks. But thanks anyway

@jokies. If there is no real speed improvements I will leave it as it is.

Cheers and thx again.

Burner1977