sbv3000

opinions -using dead SN/MACs?

Question

Hi All

First off let me say that I don't use quickconnect or any synology server based services with my XPE boxes, which all run non-syno sn/macs. I have several real syno boxes and a couple are registered.

However, I do have several dead syno boxes, DS207s, 411js, 412+ etc.

Seeing that Synology are getting tougher with needing valid macs for more 'basic' operation I can imagine the day when things like package centre will need valid sn/mac just to operate. (I even noticed the other day that syno.auth services to logon to amazon/google drive for backup was unstable)

What are forum views on using the genuine sn/macs from dead boxes that I own on XPE, in the event that Synology get really tough and start to block everything?

3 answers to this question

I came across this topic while migrating it to the new structure and I think what I said above was just BS. I think one can actually use SN from another model with the loaders, yet that doesn't make the use of DSM on non-Synology hardware more legitimate.

Try it and let us know.

Well that's entirely up to you if those boxes belong to you but those dead Synology boxes serials wont work on DS 3615xs/or DS 3617xs/DS916+ as each Synology NAS model has a specific S/N construction and can't be swapped around. Unless you have a real DS 3615xs, or DS 3617xs or DS916+ then those dead syno boxes won't be of any help in principal.

Hi Polanskiman

Thanks for the comment

I hadn't thought that sn/macs were model specific so even with 'real' ones it won't be an option if Synology toughen up :smile: